Mac and Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
After reading this, and sharing this with my family, we discussed the seriousness of sharing your Mac and Cheese. My hubs said that it was clear that the woman didn't understand the serious implications of what happens when there isn't enough Mac and Cheese.:LOL:
My son then said that when they went to prison, if they went to prison, that while in prison they would be asked, "what got you in the clink?" and the answer to that was, "Mac and Cheese".:LOL:
Food news always tickles my funny bone.
Fight over noodles sparks clothes fire at Dousman home

ATK Mac and Cheese New Recipe

Mac and Cheese! An American institute not to be messed with.

ATK has an article in the March/April 2017 issue of Cooks Illustrated for a 20 Minute One Pot Mac and Cheese. And from the photo of the finished product, it comes out so creamy! They cook the pasta in "Milk". Then adds the other ingredients without draining the pasta. Well worth taking a look at. If you have patience, the video will be available on April 17th.

I saw a three-ingredient recipe for mac and cheese that I'm planning to try. 5 ounces each of macaroni, cheese and evaporated milk. Couldn't be easier.

I know. This is a basic recipe I got from Seriouseats.com. It's a starting point.
I've made a similar recipe before. It had just a few more ingredients ;) It was good. We like a crunchy top, so I sautéed some bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in butter for serving.

Golden Grain used to make a boxed mac and cheese where all you did was boil the water and add their cheese. It was delicious and of course, it's been gone for decades now.

My current macaroni cheese (in the freezer waiting for me to need it) has brocolli, peas and (unsmoked) bacon in it. Who knows what will go in the next time :yum:

I put curry powder in the sauce once - an experiment. It was OK but I wouldn't bother again.

I expect the above is sacrilege to those of you in the home of mac 'n cheese.

I disslike Mac Cheese, yes I have done over 20 recipe of it now, still not something I go all nuts about, it taste bland and fatty.

The best mac and cheese for us is 3 cheese. It seems like no matter which types of cheeses I make it with, as long as there are 3 of them, the taste is fantastic.

My current macaroni cheese (in the freezer waiting for me to need it) has brocolli, peas and (unsmoked) bacon in it. Who knows what will go in the next time :yum:

I put curry powder in the sauce once - an experiment. It was OK but I wouldn't bother again.

I expect the above is sacrilege to those of you in the home of mac 'n cheese.
You might be surprised at what people here put into mac 'n cheese [emoji38]

Mad Cook: I do it at least once a year for American friend, she loves and says mine is spot on and perfect and I just find it fatty, greasy and yuck.

GotGarlic: I know I have done 20 recipes, every one tried and tested and it doesnt matter, I have no love for this dish.

Well, mac and cheese is probably based on German/Austrian Kaesespatzle. The ladies probably just used the cheeses they had easy access to in the U.S. We made this a little over a year ago, 1/23/2106 to be exact, and then forgot about it. It's rich and buttery and gooey, and European in origin. I'm ready to make it again.

37240-albums1008-picture6358.jpg

As Blissful mentioned, I too use several different cheeses for mac and cheese. Usually it's some kind of cheddar, Monterey jack, and I LOVE smoked gouda in mac and cheese. :yum: If I'm out of smoked gouda, I'll go get some. :LOL:

I usually add a couple of pinches of cayenne to the milk/cheese before I mix in the pasta, and also a sprinkle of toasted bread crumbs on top during the last few minutes of baking. Oh, and extra saucy - I don't like a dry mac and cheese. :chef::yum:

Attachments

• mac and cheese.jpg
    mac and cheese.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 178
I saw a three-ingredient recipe for mac and cheese that I'm planning to try. 5 ounces each of macaroni, cheese and evaporated milk. Couldn't be easier.

My mother always had a good supply of evaporated milk on hand. Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, corn chowder, etc. And I started all my babies when they were about five months old on it.

Back
Top Bottom