Stained fingers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, tis the season of stained fingers for me. Scraping potatoes, peeling apples, you know what I mean. Does anyone have a surefire method for keeping your fingers from getting stained? Or how about removing the stains from under your fingernails?

Handwashing dishes is usually good for removing the damage after the fact. I have to do that sometimes if I have gardened a lot and stained my hands. You can always make yourself a scrub for your hands, either salt and olive oil or brown sugar and olive oil. That makes them feel sooo good - also for feet.

I sometimes use lemon juice for my nails. Or you may want to try a pumice based soap that mechanics use to rid their hands of grease and oil.

I had my hands in the dirt for 22 years, and they were calloused and stained all the time. I used to scrub them with a soapy hand brush, then pour Clorox over the brush, and go for it. It does the job under the nails...just be careful not to splatter the bleach in your eyes. Stings like the devil.

I usually use lemon juice, but honestly, nothing seems to touch under my nails. I am going to try the Clorox trick on the nail brush.

No one has any helpful tips on preventing the staining in the first place? Rubber gloves are just too cumbersome pdswife, thanks though.

I used to use a silicone base hand cream (made by Avon) before I went to work in the greenhouse. It didn't really keep my nails clean, but it helped keep my fingers from cracking open. When that happens, scrubbing with Clorox really stings.

There's a sweet little story behind the Avon. Kim's Pop was an avid ameteur horticulturist, and spent a lot of time with his hands in the dirt. He got liver cancer when he was 79, and only lasted a few months.
One day, toward the last, I was wheeling him around for a little fresh air, and he took my very calloused, rough hand in his and muttered, "Avon". I had no idea what he was talking about, and thought perhaps he needed some lip balm for his chapped lips. By then he wasn't able to put words together very well, but he kept holding on to my hand exclaiming, "Avon! Avon!"
After he passed, I was going through his things, and found a tube of the Avon silicone hand cream. I always used it after that.

Alix said:
I usually use lemon juice, but honestly, nothing seems to touch under my nails. I am going to try the Clorox trick on the nail brush.

No one has any helpful tips on preventing the staining in the first place? Rubber gloves are just too cumbersome pdswife, thanks though.

Alix... I found some at home depot that are pretty thin but tough
that fit my hands perfectly. Not like the old RUBBERMAID kind. They don't last forever but..they do help.:)

Gretchen said:
Bleach, I think. But what stains about apples and potatoes?

Gretchen, have you never had your fingers stained after peeling apples or scraping new potatoes? Its some enzyme in them that turns your skin very brown.

Pdswife, they make rubber gloves that thin? Hmmmm...worth a looksee.

Constance, Avon is a staple in our house too. Several different varieties of lotion, we all like different ones. LOL. Currently though I am into Glysomed. Its thick but boy does it do the job.

Alix, try these gloves. They are great. These are what they used in the hospital when my wife was giving birth. Somehow the box ended up in my bag :angel:

Hey GB, we have those at work!! I never thought about using them in the kitchen though. *forehead slap*

Alix:

I used to be a funeral director and we used gloves like doctors in the operating room They were very fitted...like a 2nd skin. I'll try to remember the brand but that's been quite a long time ago.

Gretchen said:
Bleach, I think. But what stains about apples and potatoes?

That was my thought too, no stains with apples and potatoes. Dont use bleach on your hands though! It burns your skin, I've done it :LOL:

Alix said:
Gretchen, have you never had your fingers stained after peeling apples or scraping new potatoes? Its some enzyme in them that turns your skin very brown.

Constance, Avon is a staple in our house too. Several different varieties of lotion, we all like different ones. LOL. Currently though I am into Glysomed. Its thick but boy does it do the job.

I've never had that happen with apples or potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom