We layed my cat down last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Relate

I can see how everyone can relate to this kind of pain. Don't know if losing a pet or someone in the family is any different. My one brother who has had many disappointments in life, more than his share, loves any kind of bird or animal. He knows how he is secure w/them and will not feel rejected. The vet told him his cat has cancer in the mouth. Only 3-4 years old. Like a baby. Now he seems to be suffering more than the cat . No one can tell him it is time, he has to decide that. Just as you did by holding on until you knew she wasn't living her life.

i do hope we all get to see our pets again. Even the hamsters I once had. The love they show is so strong. Losing her at this time will always be remembered. One of my dogs was put to sleep day after Christmas. I remember her coming to my door that morning as if to tell me she was ready. She wasn't getting up off her bed anymore but that day she surprised me. Seemed she was accepting what needed to be done. Yea, I won't forget that time. Sure hope you have someone near who will understand your loss and give you assurance you need that you did the most loving thing for her.

As I said, pets are family to me anyway. They are important and necessary.

Michele, I hope you feel peace quickly in knowing that he's in a good place and can run and jump again. I know too many people don't believe this, but, I whole heartedly do!!!

Thank you all so much. I have his collar -it broke three weeks ago, in 18 years, never did one of his collars break-could it be a sign or am I reaching?

Sorry to hear your news Michelemarie. I'm really attached to all my cats and was devastated when I had to have one put down in April. I know how you feel. When you feel ready, not now, get some old photos out and smile when you remember the joy he gave you.

kitchenelf said:
Hugs to you Michellemarie - you know that cat is sitting at the biggest window there is looking at the biggest flock of bird's he's EVER seen!!!!! :)
...and this time, he can go after them! :)

sendng you hugs, Michelemarie, and better days. I cannnot imagine life without my Julia.

I am so sorry for your loss :eek:( I completely understand how you feel and as everyone has said, you did the right thing. Even though you were happy having your pet alive, she was miserable and you helped relieve her of that misery. Your cat loves you more now than ever because you helped her out the best way that you could. Best of luck to you in your time of recovery.:flowers: :heart:

Michelemarie please know that you did the right thing - the hardest thing, but your love for your darling cat was big and strong enough to let go. She'll be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge along with all the other darling pets that are waiting for their people to join them.

Feel comfort in knowing that she's no longer in pain, you let her go with dignity and she'll always be with you in your heart. (sssshhh. . . . I believe the collar was a sign:heart::flowers:)

I'm so sorry, Michele. What you did was so hard, but it was the kind, loving thing to do. I hope you're feeling better today. {{{{hugs}}}}

I know it was not an easy decision for you... I'm so sorry... It makes me think of my little Buster that I had to put down around this same time 3 years ago. My heart goes out to you sweetie!

I don't want to take away from Michelemarie's pain, because boy - do I know it.

Well guys, those of you who have known that I've also been nursing an old kitty - "Elvis" (no, I didn't name him) - he passed away a little while ago in his sleep, at home. At 16-1/2 years, he had a good life, & to be frank, I'm really REALLY glad I didn't have to take him to the vet (which he hated) for that last "hurrah".

Although I still have 4 kitties left, "Elvis" was the last of the bunch I brought here to Virginia from New York back in 1994. He was born in '91 & was the last of a ratty litter that a kitten herself gave birth to at the barn I boarded my horse at. The barn dog was killing a kitten every couple of days, so I rescued the last 2. Somehow, this last "NY" kitty makes this all the more sad.

At this point we have quite the kitty "memorial garden" going on here, so he'll be ensconsed next to his stepbrother & I'll plant something lovely above him next spring. Husband is now on his way home as I type to do the burial.

Yes, I know this sounds maudlin, but I guess when you don't have children, your pets "become" your children. God, I feel like an idiot because I'm bawling my eyes out.

BC... no need to feel like an idiot... I know the closeness you develop with your "children" and it hurts to lose one of them.

Hope you're feeling better today Michele. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. We have a great dog and I know it will be a very sad day when we have to say goodbye to her. She's been with us longer than the kids and is a big part of our family.

BC-I am so sorry to hear about Elvis. I know your sorrow right now, I am truly sorry.

To all my friends here, thank you so much for your support and kind words. I washed Theodore's blanket and set it out in front of the patio window like I had been doing for a while now, only thing missing was Ted. My 2-year old got very upset this morning, was trying to unfold it and looking for Theo. I knew I had to stop thinking of myself. I told DS that Theodore was in heaven now and we didn't need the blanket anymore. Every morning DS would give Thedore a hug before climbing over him to get to his chair for breakfast. I folded the blanket and set it on the dryer behind the door. I think I will clip Theodore's christmas bow I used to clip to his collar on the Christmas tree, maybe his collar too. Your kind words and support have helped me, thank you everyone.

BC-I am truly sorry.

Bc

He left from home? Don't we all wish we could do that? Would be a gift to me to fall asleep at home. No needles, smelly antiseptic, etc. Oh Elvis was smart. You sure he isn't around there yet? He sure must have wanted to leave from his bed. I don't think anyone has ever told me that. Really rare, to me anyway. I am truly sorry for your loss but you still have others that need you. They give the best love.

Right now one of the dogs is right next to my feet. If I don't look before I move I could easily hurt her. She is deaf so I have to let her know I want to get up.

"In The Kitchen" - trust me. He's gone. No "premature burial" going on here. In fact, as I type this, poor husband who just now got home from work is doing grave-digging duties via shovel, iron bar, & pick axe by car headlights. What fun!

It was for the best. If he hadn't passed on on his own in his sleep today, he was destined for a vet appt. for the same thing tomorrow.

Over the years (we're talking like, over 30 years here), we've had 3 dogs in addition to this cat pass away silently at home. It's a shame it doesn't happen more often (if you know what I mean), because somehow it just seems more peaceful than that trip to the vet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom