What peeves you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
middie said:
did i mention the people who wait to the last minute to get over when a sign says right laned closed... 3 MILES ago ?????

Did I mention the people who, as soon as a future merge is indicated, immediately and dutifully get into the other lane and wait when there's still 3 miles of clear road before the lane actually closes out and then refuse to allow cars to merge from a perfectly legal open lane thinking they're "cutting in line" or something? How Jr High! LOL

Sorry, I guess I'm one of those. I believe the signs are to let you know that the lane is closed in the future so you'll be ready for it when it happens. I don't come tearing up the lane to 'cheat', but I think a lot of people merge way too early and then think they have the RIGHT to tailgate the car in front of them preventing a perfectly legal merge.

lol, try commuting in to nyc every morning. if you leave even 1/4 car length between you and the car in front of you, someone will see it as that you were letting them in. everyone waits until the last second to merge, or everyone behind them just goes around, and gets in front of both of you...

jkath, i heard about a guy who went hunting in so. cal., and strapped the deer to the hood of his truck. he took the freeway home, and when he got there he found that the deer had been shot 4 more times...

buckytom said:
jkath, i heard about a guy who went hunting in so. cal., and strapped the deer to the hood of his truck. he took the freeway home, and when he got there he found that the deer had been shot 4 more times...

Good one... :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Bucky, I had a good laugh with that one.
img_132685_0_21d2a5ac1b4f51d0ba1617eeac4f4acf.gif

I'm intolerant of intolerance - totally sick of people trying to jam my octagonal personality into the boring round "socially accepted" hole. Happens to my son too. If one more person uses some incongruous BS initials like ADD or some such crap to pigeon hole us I will send them into orbit (not that I am a violent person - just sick & tired if being persecuted for my individuality & labelled for society's convenience). I look at the drones around me - give me my all-questioning, revolutionary anarchist ways any day of the week. My son drives his teachers nuts - why? Because he will not accept things at face value - he asks WHY?? EXPLAIN?? And says things like (forbid!!) I don't agree!! He is also a natural musician playing tuba, trumpet, piano, drums & guitar (all at 11 years of age). So, fine - if people want to follow the masses that's their busines - just don't categorise people like my son & I just because we are different from you & you don't understand us.

Whoo hoo!! Never got such a major gripe off my chest on a forum before but... you DID ask what peeved people....

SK & surfrtom - Super:cool: Mum & son (well, one of 'em)

wow!!! way to go sufrkim, and sufrtom!!!!!!!!!!

thank god for people like you. it's so easy to fall into a rut, never questioning anything, never realizing that they have the power to control their own destiny (well, in a lot of countries anyway). so many people are asleep, or too depressed to notice, doing what they're expected to. all it takes is realizing that the past is the past, you can't change that now. so here you are, with what you've got, now go and do something with it. and make your own opinions on things, taking into account the opinions of people you trust and understand, but making of it your own.
you can only give of yourself what you've made of yourself to give...

1-Not ever having enough money in my billfold to pay all the bills!
2-When they changed the check thing from 2 days to 2 hours, Have you concidered how much they ( THE BANKS) make off that alone in fees overdraft and find out. $37.50 for as little as .01 overdrafted plus $5 a day till you catch up.
3-The Price of Bottled water.
4-The Price of Bottled Air.
5-The Gum someone throw on the sidewalk instead of the trash can that I now have to scrap of my shoe.

surfrkim - -

Welcome to the forum. I know you're not interested in another "label", but my life changed when I realized that I am on the Autism spectrum. Specifically, I have a sub-clinical form of Asperger's Syndrome. As I learned more and more about the differences between me and the 'typical' world around me, I became better able to function within their world.

I don't know if this possibility was ever considered with your son, but there is getting to be more and more information on it. Anyway - - Here's an interesting article - - and you can find lots more information on Tony Attwood's web site.

(and, oh - - that's the explanation for my signature below)

Last edited:
Cheers buckytom & I love your signature Z (made me think of ME instantly the first time I read one of your posts:LOL:.) You see, my life changed also when some do-gooder teacher of Tom's pointed out he might be ADHD. What the **** was that - weren't they slow-learners or something I thought. Tom was vivacious & intelligent, a good reader etc so I dismissed it. She raised the subject with me again (he was in kindergarten by the way) so I looked it up on the web. It was then suggested I was ADHD also. I did the test for both of us & yes we fell into their categorisation easily. One thing led to another and before I knew it my son was on Ritalin (because I was convinced by his doctor that was the best thing for him). My husband was furious - he loves Tom's quirky personality - he fell in love with me because of mine. Before this rotten sod of a teacher stuck her big nose into our affairs I was just Kim - that outrageous girl (I loved it) - now I had a label & so did my son. He only took meds for 6 months before we revolted, banned the use of the term ADHD. Actually, we don't think it actually even exists - it is a banner to hang on children who are different - drugging them makes life easier for mum, dad & (especially) their teachers. There is nothing in our personality that leaves us unable to function. Sure, we are very outspoken & say a lot of things other people may not want to hear (even though it is usually at their instigation - I remember being with a workmate once when she was trying on a dress & asked a group of us girls what we thought - the others were polite & said "oh, it's.. nice". It was hiddeous & I told her so. I don't know who you would rather go shopping with but I'd rather be with someone who gives me an honest, albeit blunt, answer).

I just have one question - why do YOU need to function better in THEIR world? It's OUR world isn't it? Why can't they broaden THEIR minds to more extreme personalities? I read the article on Aspergers you recommended &, like the ADHD thing (which is also supposed to be in the autism spectrum) we could easily be defined by it. However, there was one quote it gave from an online support group that I really liked - "Is ANYONE really `normal?' "

Nature abhors normality!!! - Hey, I think I'll set that as my signature :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Listen Z - you sound cool to me. Be yourself and don't let any of the mundane drones of the world try and make you in their image - you may not like what you end up seeing.

Cheers SK

Oh, boy! I get to be negative!!

1. People that say the "t" in often.
2. Litter bugs
3. Gum smacking - especially when it's in church & doubly especially when it's by an adult
4. People who state their opinions as facts (unless it's me, of course, because my opinions should be considered facts...:angel: )
5. People who get mad at me, but don't tell me. Instead they go to my hubby and complain about me to him.
6. People who are being helpful by telling me the treatment we're using for our child isn't the right treatment, isn't the current treamtnet, etc.
7. People who drive on the shoulder in a traffic jam.
8. People who are so open-minded that they actually end up being close minded.

6. People who are being helpful by telling me the treatment we're using for our child isn't the right treatment, isn't the current treamtnet, etc.

ps8 know what i say to that? you're the parent and you know what's better for your child and if they don't like it tell them they can walk the other way.

middie said:
you're the parent and you know what's better for your child and if they don't like it tell them they can walk the other way.

You're right, of course, but I have a hard time doing that. That's not to say that we change what we're doing because of what they say, though. We're pretty confident in our decisions.

surfrkim said:
I just have one question - why do YOU need to function better in THEIR world? It's OUR world isn't it? Why can't they broaden THEIR minds to more extreme personalities? I read the article on Aspergers you recommended &, like the ADHD thing (which is also supposed to be in the autism spectrum) we could easily be defined by it. However, there was one quote it gave from an online support group that I really liked - "Is ANYONE really `normal?' "

Listen Z - you sound cool to me. Be yourself and don't let any of the mundane drones of the world try and make you in their image - you may not like what you end up seeing.

You're right, Kim - - I AM cool :angel:

It would be so nice if we could get the world to change in a way that is more accepting of individuals with 'differences'. I'm sorry, but that ain't gonna happen. There are just too MANY of them!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHH !!!

I didn't mean that I had changed to become more like THEM. What changed for me was my understanding of their way of thinking. Instead of thinking that everybody else had it WRONG, I began to see them (neuro-typicals) as another species - - a species who thought about things differently and processed things differently. I was socially blunt, logical, to-the-point and didn't understand their social nuance, body language and expectations of certain reciprocities. Even within a business situation, the dance is important.

The world is dominated by neuro-typicals (NT's) and they make the rules. I have had considerable problems in the past with employers and in relationships because I didn't understand their rules. It was frustrating. My (then unknown) difference didn't stop me from functioning in their world, but it DID prevent me from functioning well. I felt like Spock (Star Trek) who didn't understand the emotion and nuance of social interaction around him, but was still fascinated by the way people acted.

I am quite certain that I will never completely 'get it' and I have NO interest or plan to change who I am or the way I think - - but understanding THEM a little better helps me be a little less frustrated and a little more understanding. Here's another article you might find interesting. It contains links to the on-line tests that became the springboard for my initial interest and research.

All the best and, again, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
:)

Z,
I think the world would be very very boring
if we were all "normal".

Keep on being YOU. The people I love
most in this world are the ones that are
just a little different. : )

Back
Top Bottom