Yipppeeeee!!!! We did it!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Remember a few months ago:chicken:
I told ya all that we bought some baby chicks??
Well, we just went out to give them some clean water and guess what we found? That's right!!! An EGG!!!!!
We came right in and cracked it open. It was a DOUBLE YOLK!! And boy oh boy did it taste good!! We're so excited!
Our babies have made us so proud! :chicken: LOLOLOLOL!!

We took some photos and I'll post them as soon as I can.

:chicken:

Hens can lay eggs with out a rooster.
But, they'll never turn into baby chicks. We need a he-man rooster type for that.

:):)

Congrats! We raised them when I was little. I loved tending to them. But I was traumatized when I found out the chicken on my plate one day was one of the ones I had been helping raise. Took me a long time to eat an egg though once I found where they came from :). Dad finally got over that phase so I thought I was safe from having to see anymore butchered. Well I came home from High School one day and saw chicken wire over the bed of my dads truck and just when I turned the corner whack.....off came a chicken head with an ax. Oh my gosh was that ever gross. Still to this day I can't stand the smell of chicken feed. There is a huge plant (grain business) in a nearby town by where I grew up and it smells just like chicken feed and my stomach churns. To all you country gals who tend and slaughter chicken my hat goes off to ya......this city gal will get her chicken and eggs at the store.

sizz you're like me. once we were visiting my great-grandmother in west virginia. somebody (i think it was my cousin) asked what was for dinner. she said chicken so she went out in her backyard grabbed a chicken by the neck and swung it in a circle a few times. i didn't stick around to see the rest lol. took me awhile to eat chicken again after that.

mmm chickens!! I lvoe having chickens around! When I was younger gathering the eggs was the best, and then when I was older I loved to help butcher! The best was watching them dance around...sorry but it was. The worst was the smell of their wet feathers before hitting the plucking machine, then when they singe the last of the fines off...my job was always to clean the inards......one day ill have me own....congrats on your find!!!!!

I'll get them posted today ( hopefully!)

I've seen goats and lambs butchered and then had
some wonderful meals...but, I didn't raise them and love them.
There is NO way I could eat these chickens!!!! I've already told Paul
that when they stop laying and he wants to eat them, I'm leaving until they are dead, the mess is cleaned up and the dishes are washed and put away!!
I did have a hard time swollowing the first bite of egg...but, heck it tasted GOOD!

There was another egg waiting for us this morning! It's so fun!

Neat! Hey, we have to face the fact that SOMEONE is doing the butchering for us when we buy that nice, tidy, plastic-wrapped package of chicken at the store.

We used to have rabbits over the compost bin when we lived in CA and I'm thinking of buying some again. Advice from you country guys and gals? Keeping them outside in the northwest? Keeping the 'coons and dogs away? (I think I mentioned this once before, but I thought this discussion was a likely place to bring it up!)

Last edited:
I know nothing about rabbits..
but people warned us over and over again that the racoons would eat the
chickens and so far they just ignore them. And we have a lot of coons!!
I guess we keep them so well fed with Lily's food that they don't need the chickens.

If you do get some bunnies just make sure that the cage is built really well and locked up tight each night. You might have to add a heat lamp since it gets cold at
night. Good luck!!
and Have fun!!

PA Baker said:
How exciting, pds! I bet that was the best tasting egg you and Paul ever had. Can't wait to see the pictures!

I uploaded only one photo.. I ran out of room.
But, it's in the members photo area.

Anyone know if there's a way to delete old photos??

pdswife said:
I know nothing about rabbits..
but people warned us over and over again that the racoons would eat the
chickens and so far they just ignore them. And we have a lot of coons!!
I guess we keep them so well fed with Lily's food that they don't need the chickens.

If you do get some bunnies just make sure that the cage is built really well and locked up tight each night. You might have to add a heat lamp since it gets cold at
night. Good luck!!
and Have fun!!
Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom