Cheesecake pastry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjames

Assistant Cook
I want to make a cheesecake with a plain pastry crust instead of a graham cracker crust. I had a wonderful recipe, and know the ingredients, but not the exact amounts of each ingredient. Does anyone know the recipe using just flour, sugar, butter, and salt? ( no egg ) :)

i'm not sure if you're expecting to pat it into the pan or roll it out as you would for a pie, but...

1 part butter
1 part sugar
2 parts flour
pinch of salt

should get you in the general neighborhood of a cookie-like dough you can press in. some cinnamon or lemon zest might be a nice addition, too. i'm not too sure about what kind of texture/ consistency you want; reducing the sugar by up to 1/2 would make it more "fork friendly" (less crispy).

you mentioned "no egg", but i'll throw in my usual dough recipe anyway.
enough for a thin crust for a deep 10" springform pan.

1 1/4 c flour
3/4 c butter
1/4 c sugar
1 yolk
zest of 1 lemon

i pat out a thin bottom in the springform pan and bake at 400 for 8 min. after it's cooled, i roll out the rest of the dough into a coil and press out the side wall. you could probably substitute a tablespoon of milk for the yolk, or just up the butter a bit.

hope this helps
icon12.gif

Thank you, Philso,
The recipe I had ( for pressing into a springform pan ) is similar, but with only 4 oz. of butter to the same quantities of the flour and sugar that you mentioned. That is why I wanted confirmation of someone else's recipe. When I made the recipe with only 4 oz, it seemed dry, so I decided to add 2 more ounces of butter. It was great, but I still wonder whether using only 4 oz would be good too.

give it a shot. if it holds its' shape (isn't too crumbly) it's probably fine. if you think about, anything like a scotch shortbread dough or a crumble for an apple crisp would probably be just fine. i think there's a lot of room to play around with proportions. the only thing to avoid would be too much sugar, as it would come out more solid and be difficult to cut with a fork.
icon12.gif

This is the cheesecake recipe my mom has been making for 15+ years. Even though I saw on Martha Stewart last Easter a very similar but quicker recipe, she won't make it ~ she makes me make it!

LINDY'S CHEESECAKE

CRUST:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tsp. grated lemon rind
1 Tsp. vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/4 lb. softened butter

FILLING:
2 1/2 lbs. cream cheese
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs. flour
1 1/2 tsp. each of grated orange and lemon rind

5 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

In large bowl combine flour, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla.
Make a well in the center of mixture, add egg yolk and butter and form into a dough (adding a little water if necessary to make it pliable).
Wrap in waxed paper and chill for 1 hour.
In another bowl combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour and orange and lemon rind with an electric mixer.
Add eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and beat well.
Add heavy cream and blend thoroughly.
Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
Roll out 1/3 of dough to 1/8 inch thickness and mold to the pan's bottom.
Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned, then remove and cool.
Cut remaining dough to line the sides of the pan thoroughly.
Add cream cheese mixture, bake at 550°F for 10 minutes, then bake at 200°F for 1 hour.
Allow cheese cake to cool.

This is my spin on Martha Stewart's cheesecake.

Cheesecake

Ingredients

Serving: Serves 10
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 Pound finely ground blanched almonds or pecans
  • 4 8-ounce cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 Cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 Cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Grated zest of 1 lemon
  • Grated zest of 1 orange
  • 1-2 Teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-by-3-inch round cake pan and dust with ground almonds; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, cream, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, and beat until incorporated. Beat in zests and vanilla.
  3. Pour into prepared pan, and place in a large roasting pan. Transfer to oven rack, and carefully add enough boiling water to the roasting pan to come two-thirds up the side of the cake pan.
  4. Bake until firm, about 2 hours, adding more boiling water if necessary. Turn off the oven; keep the oven door ajar using a wooden spoon. Let cake cool completely in the oven.
  5. Transfer to refrigerator and chill overnight. Invert onto a plate; serve.
  6. Note: To make it denser, add an extra half stick cream cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom