Taste in bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.)
I heard it was good with gravy.

When the recipe calls for 3 cups of flour, does that mean sifted or not?

Going back a couple of posts:
If your recipe asks for 100 ml water and 100 ml milk, and you only use 85 gram of each (which equates to a little less than 170 ml total), your hydration will be out

I remember a friend, who grew up on factory white bread, who was offended by his first taste of whole grain bread. As far as he was concerned, bread was supposed to be the neutral medium that carried the cold cuts or cheese and didn't interfere with their taste. He did come around to liking whole grain breads, once he started thinking of them differently.

It's white bread. It is not supposed to taste like anything.
thats a fact,
i asked a french girl if she liked strong tasting bread, her remark was interesting , "its ok with butter but a strong flavor such as sourdough or rye and grain breads doesn't belong on a table of fine food because it intereres with the palate."
She was a school teacher, not a food pro.

I remember a friend, who grew up on factory white bread, who was offended by his first taste of whole grain bread. As far as he was concerned, bread was supposed to be the neutral medium that carried the cold cuts or cheese and didn't interfere with their taste. He did come around to liking whole grain breads, once he started thinking of them differently.
maybe he never had a real reuben with black rye.

thats a fact,
i asked a french girl if she liked strong tasting bread, her remark was interesting , "its ok with butter but a strong flavor such as sourdough or rye and grain breads doesn't belong on a table of fine food because it intereres with the palate."
and she is very entitled to her opinion and in my opinion her opinion was the right one!
Highly flavoured breads are a class of their own as much as White breads (and their family) does not belong with/on a Reuben.

I have found a Sourdough Rye bread that is highly seeded. It is delicious but very heavy. I don't care for it with my eggs in the mornings. Although if I am just having toast it is great! Still heavy in the tummy but very tasty.

Taste is so subjective - there are no hard and fast rules as they change over the years

I beg to differ with the statement "It's white bread. It's not supposed to taste like anything." I make French bread frequently, and all by itself, without butter or anything else, it has a good taste. It isn't overwhelming, but you know you have something yummy in your mouth!

thats a fact,
Obviously she had never been to San Francisco, where the first thing restaurants do when you sit down at a table is supply a basket of sourdough bread and butter.

I beg to differ with the statement "It's white bread. It's not supposed to taste like anything." I make French bread frequently, and all by itself, without butter or anything else, it has a good taste. It isn't overwhelming, but you know you have something yummy in your mouth!
I was talking about standard American white bread, like Wonder or Sunbeam.

(Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.)
I heard it was good with gravy.

When the recipe calls for 3 cups of flour, does that mean sifted or not?
If it doesn't say "sifted" don't sift. Just measure the flour and go.

thats a fact,
Sounds like she prefers high cuisine to peasant food.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef

Many years ago A King told his cook to make him a steak and so he did.
After he ate he called the cook to him and said that was the best steak I ever had what is it called? the cook replied I don't know.
The king asked where did it come from? The cook replied It came from the loin of a cow.
The king said that was the best it was so good I will knight it. From now on we will call it Sir Loin.

I always put buttermilk and honey with an adequate amount of salt in my soft white bread. It tastes lovely!

What did your recipe say?
As Andy has already mentioned, if the recipe doesn't specify just measure and go. Don't tamp it down. Just spoon measure into cup.

I've never sifted my flour before. I know my mom did when I was growing up and she was making cakes. I have no idea if her recipe called for it but I think back in the day everyone sifted their flour to remove impurities and possibly insect fragments.

My bread doesn't have much taste.
How do I get it to taste better.
White Bread
Ingredients:
100 ml warm water. 84.5gr
100 ml warm milk. 84.5gr
2 tablespoons sugar.
8 g dry yeast.
2 medium eggs.
500 grams of white flour.
1 teaspoon salt
20 ml vegetable oil.1 1/3 tbl
For a golden brown crust:
1 egg + milk.
Enhance the bread's flavor by letting the dough ferment longer, incorporating ingredients like melted butter or olive oil for richness, adjusting sugar and salt for a balanced sweetness, and adding sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, or chopped nuts for a delightful texture and taste

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom