Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe--TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
This recipe comes from my grandma. I am sure to make it every summer when I have a surplus of blueberries. This year I used an entire pint of berries in it and it turned out great, you just need to bake it a few minutes longer. It's also good with a little ground cinnamon and/or ginger.

Blueberry Coffee Cake

For Topping:
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c flour
1 stick butter (8 Tbsp)

For cake:
1 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
water
1 tsp vanilla
1 c (I use 1+ cup) blueberries coated lightly in flour

For Topping: whisk together both sugars and flour. Using a fork or your fingertips, cut margarine into the sugar and flour until the mixture becomes the size of peas. Reserve 1 cup of these crumbs.

For cake: Add remaining crumbs to 2nd c of flour and baking powder. Crack egg into a glass measuring cup and add enough water to equal 3/4 c. Add egg and water to sugar and flour mixture. Blend well. Add vanilla. Gently fold in blueberries. Spoon mixture into a greased and lightly floured 8" square pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.

Bake in preheated 400F oven for 25-30 minutes.

Yum, yum... I suppose I could use frozen blueberries, too for this recipe? I still have some left in my freezer, been intending to do something new/special/delicious with them, this may be the occasion!!:rolleyes:

PA that sounds so good and I can't remember the last time I made a coffee cake. In return, here's a blueberry muffin recipe that has been a family favorite for years.

BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS
Serving Size : 12

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Pinch salt
3 oz. cream cheese -- cubed 1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4 T. hot (160-180 degrees) melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup blueberries

Turn on oven to 350 and place rack in middle position.
Put flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt in bowl, stir well & set aside.

Using metal blade in Food processor, process cream cheese, lemon juice, and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs & process 15 seconds.

Clean sides of container. With machine running, pour hot butter through chute within 10 seconds and process 10 seconds; add milk & process 5 seconds.

Add dry ingredients and mix 4-6 half-second pulses. Add blueberries & mix until all incorporated in batter, 3-4 ha1f-second pulses.

Pour into muffin cups 3/4 Full. Bake 30 min. & cool on rack 15 minutes.

urmaniac13 said:
Yum, yum... I suppose I could use frozen blueberries, too for this recipe? I still have some left in my freezer, been intending to do something new/special/delicious with them, this may be the occasion!!:rolleyes:

You sure can use frozen, just don't thaw them first and still dust them with flour! Enjoy!

cjs, your muffin recipe sounds great! Anything with cream cheese makes me happy!

PA Baker- this sounds so good I have decided to add it to the dessert selection we're having for the BBQ!! Thank you for this and the many other recipes you have shared!!!Love and energy, vicki

bethzaring said:
PA, I'm not finding the sugar in the cake portion of the recipe, please help me:ermm: .

There's no additional sugar. It comes from the remainder of the "crumbs" you start by mixing together. One cup of them are reserved from the crumb topping, the remainder is added to the cake ingredients per the instructions. Strange, I know, but it works out well!:)

Sounds good PA Baker. Did you use a metal or glass pan? This will be good for breakfast with a cup of coffee.

There's no additional sugar. It comes from the remainder of the "crumbs" you start by mixing together.
That sounds interesting. I never had a cake w/o sugar. It has to be a little healthier...doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Jean, blueberries and cream cheese...mmmmm

PA Baker said:
There's no additional sugar. It comes from the remainder of the "crumbs" you start by mixing together. One cup of them are reserved from the crumb topping, the remainder is added to the cake ingredients per the instructions. Strange, I know, but it works out well!:)

Thanks PA, guess it was there the whole time eh?:blush:

PA, I made this one yesterday, it's delicious!! I did tinker a little with your recipe though, I decided to make it before I read your reply to Beth, I added about 75g of sugar into the cake. That was just fine with us, especially Cris likes everything extra sweet!!

Just one question though... the cake base seemed way too dry and solid after mixing compared to the usual gooey batter for cakes, so I added another egg. (and our eggs are extra large!) Actually I was tempted to add yet another one but remembered the amount of blueberries inside, and trusted the juice from the fruit should balance out the things while in the oven. It came out just fine, but I was wondering was the batter supposed to be like that (dry and solid), what should be the right texture like, before and after it is baked?

Every time I've made it the batter is a thick cake batter. That doesn't explain it very well, but I'd say it's definitely not dry and dense but it's not a thin batter, either. It rises pretty quickly because of tha baking powder and I can easily push a spatula through it.

Did you put the egg in the measuring cup and then add water to equal 3/4 c? That's the only reason why I can think that it would be too dense. Maybe adding the extra sugar did it, too?

Glad you still liked it!

I have a sweet tooth! that 's what I love it! Thanx a lot

hi! it sounds like an interesting recipe to make. thanks, PA baker! just one question--what is the point in coating the blueberries in flour? i've seen this mentioned in several recipes, but they never explain why...

I don't know the chemical explanation, but I do know that it suspends the fruit in the cake instead of falling to the bottom or rising to the top.

PA Baker said:
This recipe comes from my grandma. I am sure to make it every summer when I have a surplus of blueberries. This year I used an entire pint of berries in it and it turned out great, you just need to bake it a few minutes longer. It's also good with a little ground cinnamon and/or ginger.

Blueberry Coffee Cake

This looks gooooood. I'm thinking about making it today actually.

Back
Top Bottom