Chewy Anzac Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ross Martin

Assistant Cook
For those who have not heard of Anzac Biscuits, the recipe goes back a long way.

They were baked for Australian and New Zealand troops (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps) during WW1 by families back home, and shipped to the various theatres of war. Apart from being tasty, they lasted forever, so remained good through long periods of shipping without refrigeration.

Many variations have evolved, and I particularly like the 'chewy' version, rather than the rock hard original recipe.

Here it is..................

2 cups of Rolled Oats
1 Cup Plain Flour
1 Cup Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
1-1/3 Cups Dessicated Coconut (one and a third cups)
1 Cup Brown Sugar
250 grams butter softened
4 Tablespoons Golden Syrup

Preheat the oven to 160C, or 140C for fan forced ovens

Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, and then introduce the syrup, butter, and 1 - 2 tablespoons of water. Mix until well combined and slightly moist. I use an electric mixer, but hand mixing is OK, just takes a little longer. The oats will break down into smaller particles during the mixing.

Roll into balls about the size of a circle formed by your thumb and forefinger, and place on baking paper on a tray. A tray 14" X 10" (35 X 25 cm) will take 20 cookie balls, about 2" (5 cm) apart.

Flatten slightly with a fork, occasionally dipped in water.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. Stand the trays on wire racks until touch cool, 5 - 10 minutes, and then place the biscuits on the racks to cool completely.

For a taste sensation, for the coffee lovers, dissolve 5 teaspoons of instant coffee in as little hot water as possible, and add to the mix in place of the water.

Ingredients can be varied as you wish, different proportions of plain/self raising flour, more sugar, up to another one third cup, if you like sweeter cookies. This mix will make 40 cookies, and the recipe can be halved if you wish.

These chewy cookies will keep for a couple of weeks, at least, in an airtight container, without refrigeration, much longer in the refrigerator.

These cookies are one of my favorites.

Ta for the recipe, mate. For some reason there are no oatmeal biscuits in the stores hereabouts, so I reckon I'll have to make some.

When we lived in Grafton, Auckland, we'd have a cuppa and some ANZAC biscuits before walking up to the War Memorial Museum for the dawn service.

LhMENKR.jpg

Last edited:
Baked a batch of crunchy ANZAC biscuits, to a recipe on the King Arthur Flour website. They need careful watching, as the bottoms burn quickly.

sy26EWX.jpg

Those look delicious, and the recipe looks great, too! I'll have to try these, sometime when I don't mind turning on my oven.

When I fought wildfires, we got canned Army C-rations in cardboard boxes with hardtack crackers. Like eating roof shingles. Later, the government switched to MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) but the hardtack was the same. Resembles matzo. Lots of crunch, no flavor.

Back
Top Bottom