English Toffee Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey_72

Assistant Cook
Yesterday I made some English Toffee. It turned out OK but seems a little too sweet.

1 cup Sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (I used real unsalted sweet cream butter)

Heat to 310 degrees then remove from heat and stir in:

1/2 cup almonds (I used blanched slivers that I broke into smaller pieces)

Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Then melt 12oz Hershey Milk chocolate bar and spread over the top.

Then I popped it into the freezer for 20 minutes for it to cool. Then broke it into smaller pieces. Some of the chocolate seperated from the toffee.

From what I recall, toffee should have a little more of a savory flavor. My guess is that it needs a little salt to balance it out but how much?

Next time I think I'll break the toffee into pieces then coat both sides with semi-sweet or dark chocolate.

I just checked my recipes and they don't use salt either but do use salted butter; I think that will be the way to go as it works for me.

Last edited:
The recipe I use calls for 2 c sugar and 1/2 c butter (unsalted) and no salt. When I want to make it chocolate toffee I acutally mix 2 oz of chopped chocolate into the toffee before spreading it onto a sheet. That gives it the chocolate taste and none of the trouble of getting the chocolate to stick when I break the toffee.

I have pretty much stopped trying to get the chocolate to stick. It always pops off when I break it up. I wouldn't put it in the freezer. Let it bond at room temp.
I don't think there is much "savory" about toffee--sweet sweet sweet.

I didn't mean that it was savory but less sweet and needed something savory to balance it out. I'll have to try it with a dash of salt next time.

I would suggest adding just a couple pinches of salt if you want it a little less sweet...just tailor it to your own taste...but you have the basic idea down so just throw some salt in there and try another batch...

Merry Christmas,
Robert
Chocolate

I do agree that a pinch of salt will help but even moreso would be to use MILK chocolate instead of Semi Sweet chocolate. This is coming from someone who adores semi sweet but I found it to be sickly sweet whereas the milk chocolate was just perfect. I make tons of this for gifts and I always stick it in the freezer. It helps break it up easier and my chocolate always sticks. I did learn that if your tofee seperates, add 2 teaspoons hot water and it will come together. Make certain that the toffee is an amber color when done.

Last edited:
One thing I do that may help in your case is to pan fry my almonds in a little butter and salt until they are browned (Not Burned) and toasted.. Then I let it dry out slightly and pat off any extra butter.

I then add these toasted almonds to my Toffee for a wonderful flavor. Just something to consider if you are fan of toasted nuts.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom