ISO: Chewy pecan pralines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been searching for a recipe for chewy pecan pralines and have had no luck. There is a great mexican restaurant here in Dallas called El Fenix that sells them and they are amazing. I'd like to get a recipe so I can make them myself.

You know, I've been 'chewing' on this all day :mrgreen: , and just can't think of a praline that's chewy. All the recipes I have, and all the pralines I've eaten elsewhere have been firm, and sort of crumbly. I wonder if this restaurant is using some kind of 'dulce de leche' sort of caramel, and just calling them pralines?

They do have a caramel kind of texture to it. Here is a list of the ingredients that is on the wrapper if that helps anyone. Maybe it isn't really a praline as they label it, but it sure is good!
Ingredients:Pecan, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Evaporated Milk, Invert Sugar, Vanilla, All Vegetable Cocoflakes, Lacithin, Salt, Cinnamon, Vegetable Oil as a indirect additive.

Chewy Texas Pralines

:chef: Someone just brought me a praline from Texas (I live in Indy) from Lammes candies in Austin. I looked on the web for a recipe since they were so good!
1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup light corn syrup 1/8 tsp. salt, 14 tbls. milk, 1/4 cup butter, 2 cups pecan halves, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. In a heavy saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook over med. heat stirring occasionally, to 245º on candy thermomator (20-25 min) Gradually add milk, butter and pecans. cook 1-2 min. after adding last ingredient, returning to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Drop by tsp. onto greased baking sheet and cool completely before wrapping.
Hope this is waht you are looking for. I am going to make them this weekend!

Pam

Last edited:
Army Pam said:
:chef: Someone just brought me a praline from Texas (I live in Indy) from Lammes candies in Austin. I looked on the web for a recipe since they were so good!
1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup light corn syrup 1/8 tsp. salt, 14 tbls. milk, 1/4 cup butter, 2 cups pecan halves, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. In a heavy saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook over med. heat stirring occasionally, to 245º on candy thermomator (20-25 min) Gradually add milk, butter and pecans. cook 1-2 min. after adding last ingredient, returning to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Drop by tsp. onto greased baking sheet and cool completely before wrapping.
Hope this is waht you are looking for. I am going to make them this weekend!

Pam
Just curious- did you ever make these and how did they turn out ? They do sound very good. Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom