Is it possible to make a milkshake without SO MUCH ice cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh okay lol. Well is there a way to get a milkshake thicker, without having to add five cups ice cream, even if the alcohol is chilled?

Oh okay thanks. When you say I can also add a little cream, do you mean different ice cream besides the HaagenDaz?

Can you get the Haagen Dasz limoncello ice cream? It's fabulous and it already has booze in it. Well, it's not a lot, but maybe make the milk shake with it and then add a bit of extra limoncello or vodka.

Last edited:
Oh okay thanks!

So after looking over this recipe that was posted for me, this recipe has six ounces of booze in it:

https://ramshacklepantry.com/white-russian-alcoholic-milkshake/

Six!!! How am I suppose to get the shake thick enough, with only 6 scoops if there are 6 ounces of booze in it?

Do you have a non-alcoholic milkshake recipe that you like? Me, I would make that, but with less milk, so it was a bit too thick, then gently stir in some booze and see how that worked. I would do it with a single glass of milkshake to start with and measure, so I know the proportions for later, if it worked well, or for further testing.

Oh okay. Another thing is, do you think that maybe the reason why it comes out way to thin is the blender itself, since mine is heavy duty when maybe I need one of those old style malt makers to preserve thickness?

Oh okay. Another thing is, do you think that maybe the reason why it comes out way to thin is the blender itself, since mine is heavy duty when maybe I need one of those old style malt makers to preserve thickness?

Maybe just a slower speed.

Well also in this recipe, is it suppose to be super thin:

https://ramshacklepantry.com/white-russian-alcoholic-milkshake/

No. A shake is supposed to be thick and creamy, no matter what flavor it is. If you want to use less ice cream, make a smaller shake. Another tric to making a thicker shake is to make ice slush. Simply add the ingredients other than ice cream into your blender with ice cubes. Blend into a thick slush. Then add the ice cream. And from the slush, the blender will be cold so as not to melt the ice cream. To get an idea of how ice can help thincken your shake, take a look at this copycat recipe - https://copykat.com/wendys-frosty-recipe/. And we all know how thick and rich a Wendy's Frosty is.:D

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh okay, well it feels like there is way too much ice cream to get it thick enough than there should be. I don't think it's a case of the ice cream having too much air in it though, because wouldn't that air leak out while blended, and therefore should shrink the amount down?

I've tried adding less so far and freezing the booze. Sorry, I will try the others first. Thanks for the advice everyone :). I will try and see.

I would experiment with reducing the amount of ice cream and adding ice cubes to the mixture.

You might also try eliminating the ice cream and using a combination of heavy cream and ice cubes.

Finally I would look at recipes for frozen cocktails as opposed to milkshakes that contain alcohol.

Frozen Mudslide
Ingredients
4 cups crushed ice
2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers vodka
2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers coffee-flavored liqueur
2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers Irish cream liqueur
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1/2 cup whipped cream
Directions
In a blender, combine crushed ice, vodka, coffee liqueur, and Irish cream liqueur. Drizzle in Chocolate syrup. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and garnish with whipped cream.

Good luck and remember practice, practice, practice!

Last edited:
I think you may be over blending.

If you have a vitamix, it will literally cook your milkshake. Use the lowest speed thst will blend it and just barely blend, using the push stick.

You aren't trying to puree it, just blend the ingredients.

Better, thicker ice-cream would seem to be the best solution to try first. I get some ice cream and it is soft before I even scoop it, others are hard as a rock.

I would go for the harder stuff first.

No pun intended.

With all that being said, I'm not a milkshake maker very often.

2 cups of ice cream doesn't sound like enough ice cream to off set the liquid. Especially since alcohol is a bit like antifreeze.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom