Chipped Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debthecook

Senior Cook
Anyone remember eating this? I do. I have a recipe just like Mom used to make:
From the early 60s:

Chipped Beef in a Creamy Sauce:

Chipped Beef
Flour
Butter
Milk
Curry Powder
Boiled Eggs

Shred the chipped beef, dredge in flour. Saute it in melted butter in a hot skillet. In a saucepan, make a white cream sauce using 3 tbs of flour and a little milk. Add several pinches of curry powder to this. Serve over beef. Add a few hard boiled eggs to dip in sauce or slice them, place on top.
Also can add toast points.

LOL - yep ... anyone who has ever been in the US military knows it as SOS ;)

But, depending on the conditions ... probably not that exotic. Don't ever remember eggs or curry powder - and not even butter.

When we were in the field - it was dried chipped beef, cooked with a "gravy" based on a roux of flour and any fat available ... and reconsituted powdered milk ... served over toasted bread.

Michael, you have poisoned my night with a truly awfull memory...

Lifter

skip the eggs. Yuck :!: Otherwise this is one of my favorite foods. Goin to make it tonight if the freakin wife goes to bed soon enough. I think it is the ultimate comfort food.

I remember it. I like it. Don't love it though. And we made a what is now known to me as a Bechemel Sauce (white sauce) with added papper. The chipped beef wasn't shredded in ours though. And she never added the hard-boiled egg or curry powder.

I would add paprika for color and a little tumeric as well. We also had creamed peas, which is the same thing, only with peas instead of chipped beef.

Unfortunately, I don't eat much white sauce anymore. To many carbs :( .

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

debthecook said:
Anyone remember eating this? I do. I have a recipe just like Mom used to make:
From the early 60s:

Chipped Beef in a Creamy Sauce:

Chipped Beef
Flour
Butter
Milk
Curry Powder
Boiled Eggs

Shred the chipped beef, dredge in flour. Saute it in melted butter in a hot skillet. In a saucepan, make a white cream sauce using 3 tbs of flour and a little milk. Add several pinches of curry powder to this. Serve over beef. Add a few hard boiled eggs to dip in sauce or slice them, place on top.
Also can add toast points.

Yep. Seems like yesterday. It was yesterday. Chipped beef gravy with fried potatoes and green beans. One of DH's favorites. He's big on white gravy. Next time I may try boiled eggs. He loves those too. Might even try a pinch of my homemade curry. He doesn't like the "store bought".

Isn't this the stuff we had by the gallon in bootcamp so long ago. God I'm still burping the salt. I think they called the dish SOS for save our servicemen, although I'm not sure how this stuff helped.

I honestly haven't had or even seen chipped beef since my teen years. I think I'll ask at the store. Mom used to sometimes pack a " sandwich of white bread, miricle whip and chipped beef in my school lunch.

I remember eating this but without curry in it. This was one of my father's favorites. He ate it in the army and called it sh#* on a shingle.

A year ago I bought some chipped beef in a cream sauce in the frozen section of the supermarket and ate it over toast. It had too much sauce and seemed salty. I'll never buy it again 'though I might make it myself.

Back when I was a teen, my mother made some. I took a look in the pan, and proclaimed, "Navy SOS, huh?" She gave me the dirtiest look :)

I always learned the "SOS" doesn't stand for "Save Our Soldiers/Sailors", but "S___ On a Shingle"

YUMMMMMMY

I love SOS!

We begged our mom to make it but dad would not allow it into the house. So we only had it when he was on a business trip.

No eggs or curry, though.

Now I am getting a craving .....

We always had the eggs but not the curry. We had chipped beef on toast every now and then on Sunday afternoons.

:) Barbara

They're still selling this stuff? I thought they would have run out of their WWII stock by now!

Yep, I remember it well. Goodweed - one of my favorite foods growing up was creamed peas - Birdseye made them with chopped up potatoes in the cream sauce too. I wish I could find those!!!

My mom made this minus the eggs and curry too - the curry sounds really good though - just a tad for flavor. She also used to put peas in it and of course, we'd have it over toast - sliced on the diagonal - heaven forbid she sliced it straight down the middle (not in triangles) and you'd think the was beating us with all the screaming going on - boy, she never did THAT again!!!

Dried beef is most definately still around!! Right with the potted meats, canned tuna and chicken.

Back
Top Bottom