ISO help/tips making Swiss steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Princess

Assistant Cook
Help I have a swiss steak and I'm not sure how to cook it. Does anyone have any ideas?? Please post some ideas.

What do mean? I usually use round steak, lightly flour it, brown it. Then add onions, some canned tomatoes, beef broth. Bring to a simmer, then put the steak back in and braise it until tender. (and some seasonings)

Swiss Steak is a cooking method ---- "Swissing" referring to tenderizing the meat by pounding or being run through a meat tenderizer ---- It is not a cut of beef.
Miss Kathy's recipe above is a good overview of the method...It's tenderized (normally) beef braised in a liquid (gravy) until tender....Delicious!!!!

Enjoy!

Do you mean a "cubed" steak? A steak already run through a tenderizer? Those also make a good chicken fried steak. (Flour, egg, bread/cracker crumbs, fry.)
As for the slow cooker (for Swiss style), just put everything in it, after browning, deglazing the pan with your liquids to get the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan.

Can I cook it in a crock pot? And how do you do it???

You do it basically like Kathy described - dredge the meat in seasoned flour (S&P) and then sear it in a skillet with a tablespoon or two of oil, remove the meat to a plate. Add the onion and saute it 3-4 minutes - then add some beef broth to the skillet to finish deglazing the bottom. Add the onion, beef broth and tomatoes into the crock pot and stir them together - now add the meat and nestle it down in the mix. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, on high for about 3-4 hours.

Mom always added a healthy amount of fresh or frozen green beans toward the end of cooking so they didn't cook down to mush.

Here are some variations on the same theme: Crock Pot Swiss Steak Recipes

Wyogal said:
Do you mean a "cubed" steak? A steak already run through a tenderizer?

If you run the meat through the tenderizer with the grain in one direction - it is "tenderized". If you run it through once, give it a 90-degree turn and run it through again, then it is "cubed". And, yes - great for Chicken Fried Steak!

Cooksie said:
Here's my favorite recipe for Swiss steak. I don't like cooked bell pepper, and this recipe doesn't call for it.

If you add green bell pepper to Swiss Steak it becomes - "Pepper Steak". If you don't want to buy the "needles" Alton was talking about similar to this:

s7_516449_imageset_01

you can just buy "tenderized" or "cubed" steak from the store.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom