Ultimate Corned Beef Hash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was hungry for corned beef hash and so I made some this morning. This is not a new recipe, just a really good way to enjoy the hash.:chef:

So, next time your'e making spuds for supper, peel, then dice them into 1/2 inch cubes. Steam them, or boil them, however you want to cook them. But make twice the amount that you need. Use half of them for supper and save the other half in the fridge for the hash.

Bring a small pan of water to a boil. There should be enough water in the pan to cover an egg. Add 2 tsp. of salt and stir until the salt is dissolved. Turn the heat down to keep the water hot, but still (no bubbles rising).

Ok, now it's morning. Cube 1/2 pound of corned beef. Pour enough cooking oil in the bottom of your best frying pan (because you don't want any of this to stick) to cover it and pool just a bit. When it's hot, add the spud cubes. Lightly salt and fry until lightly browned. Turn them and brown the other sides. When they ready, add the corned beef and fold together.

After adding the corned beef to the frying pan, gently crack two raw eggs into a bowl, taking care not to break the yolks. Now gently transfer the eggs to the pan of hot water. Cook until the whites are completely set.

Plate the hash. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place on top of the hash. Enjoy.

There are only two ways to make this hash better that I know of. First and best way - share with someone you love. 2nd way - serve along side my world famous pancakes, or yeast-raised belgian waffles.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for that. Deceptively simple. I've lived a deprived life in that I've never prepared or eaten scratch-made corned beef hash. The Air Force chow halls did a great job on hash but I even think theirs was canned. The only other hash I've had came out of a can (!!)

What?! No onion??

I know, right. I put onion in almost all savory recipes. I just didn't feel like it this time. Don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know. But yes, onion would be delightful in hash.

Oh, and here's a shamless plug for another post I put in a couple days back. Check out the S'mores Bars recipe. It really came out great. In fact, my SIL (that's son-in-law) asked at least three times if Sprout had the recipe, because he really, really like it. She, her husband, and my DGD's came up on Friday, and left yesterday. Good times.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
What?! No onion??

Yup, I always use onions when I do corn beef hash. It should be considered a crime without it lol jk. The sweetness of the onions counter balances the strong tasting corn beef.

On a side note, I never got the combination of ruben and sauerkraut. Maybe its just me, but the combination of those flavors don't compliment each other very well.

The best Hash I've ever eaten was in Santa Barbara at a Danish bakery/restaurant of all places, Andersen's

California Oct 2011 071.jpg

They served theirs with pickled beets and I chose scrambled, only because I find that the partially cooked yolks now bother my stomach.
I grabbed a couple pieces of bacon and DH hollandaise on the side, oh and a mimosa to wash it all down with, afterall it was Sunday Brunch on the patio. :yum:

The best Hash I've ever eaten was in Santa Barbara at a Danish bakery/restaurant of all places, Andersen's

View attachment 21678

They served theirs with pickled beets and I chose scrambled, only because I find that the partially cooked yolks now bother my stomach.
I grabbed a couple pieces of bacon and DH hollandaise on the side, oh and a mimosa to wash it all down with, afterall it was Sunday Brunch on the patio. :yum:

I'm glad you liked the hash there Kgirl, but although Andersen's is famous for their Split Pea Soup, it's garbage. It's the most flavorless SP soup I've ever tasted, bar none. I have no reasonable idea why it became so famous. :wacko:

Edit: I should have clicked your link first Kgirl. I'm talking about the Andersen's in Buellton, ca. http://www.peasoupandersens.net/homeBuellton.html

Last edited:
Whether it is corned beef or a Sunday roast beef, we always knew the next day's supper was going to be hash. Any and all leftover veggies went into the hash. And Harvard beets on the side. Always onions in the hash. For some strange reason, onions do not make me create tears. So guess what job I always had. :angel:

Here's a story about canned corned beef hash. The first time my oldest little boy stayed the night with his "other" grandparents he came home and said he never wanted to stay there again because they tried to feed him dog food. :LOL:

Well it looks and smells just like it, right?

The best reason to cook a corned beef dinner is for the hash the next day. :chef:

Corned beef hash with poached egg on top is an evening meal comfort food of mine...meaning it's when I don't wanna cook nothin! I bet your hash tastes light years beyond canned. I can visualize cubing the potatoes, I'm not as visual about cutting up the corned beef. You don't cook that yourself, of course. The corned beef outta the can looks sorta mushy.

When you think about it (corned beef hash), you're frying up an already edible product. I try and get the moisture out, make it less Alpo like.

I used to buy the small corned beef cans. With a packet of catsup along with one of those small cans of corned beef...it tasted ...not bad! (right outta the can). Closest looking thing to Alpo dog food there is.

Last edited:
Corned beef hash with poached egg on top is an evening meal comfort food of mine...meaning it's when I don't wanna cook nothin! I bet your hash tastes light years beyond canned. I can visualize cubing the potatoes, I'm not as visual about cutting up the corned beef. You don't cook that yourself, of course. The corned beef outta the can looks sorta mushy.

When you think about it (corned beef hash), you're frying up an already edible product. I try and get the moisture out, make it less Alpo like.

I used to buy the small corned beef cans. With a packet of catsup along with one of those small cans of corned beef...it tasted ...not bad! (right outta the can). Closest looking thing to Alpo dog food there is.

I used a left-over chunk of a corned brisket in my hash, so yes, I really did have to cube it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My mother had one of the meat grinders that clamped onto the edge of the table. She always ground up the meat into large chunks. And if there were a lot of potatoes left over, she would put a few of them into the grounder also. Then sometimes she would make Flannel Hash. That has always been my favorite. :angel:

View attachment 21678

That does look like Danish hash (biksemad). I posted a recipe for it a while back: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f142/biksemad-danish-hash-68769.html#post944791. Pickled beets are a fairly standard Danish accompaniment to biksemad. I mentioned the pickle beets in my recipe.

Back
Top Bottom