IS0 any easy recipes for corned beef hash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When people talk about Corned Beef, are they usually referring to canned or a huge chunk of beef that has been seasoned and needs cooking.

Not complicated, just a little prep.

I picked apart the CBH that my husband loves from a local diner. This is pretty darn close.

We've also made it with some of a packer brisket that he smoked. That was pretty good too.

Serves 2-3 with eggs depending on appetites

3/4 to 1 cup of onion, small dice
3/4 to 1 cup red bell, small dice
2-1/2 to 3 cups 1/2" or so cubed potatoes, parsteamed
1/2 to 3/4 cup 1/4 inch diced corned beef
1/4 cup 1/4 inch diced deli sour pickle
4-5 Tbsp pickle juice
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
Salt and pepper

fried runny eggs to top

Add 2 Tbsp cooking oli to medium to large skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Add onions and red bell peppers. Add some salt and pepper. Cook until about half way done then add pickle juice and Worchestershire sauce, continue cooking until almost tender, reducing heat if necessary to prevent over-browning. Add 3 Tbsp cooking oil and add potatoes, adding additional salt and pepper to taste. Press down with a spatula so you get good bottom contact. Cook until potatoes start to brown and crisp. Stir in corned beef and pickle cubes. Continue cooking until you the potatoes are browned to your taste, increasing heat if necessary. I cook them where they are brown and crispy in various spots.

Start your eggs cooking once you get close to where you want your potatoes. Leave the hash in the pan (you can remove from heat if needed) until right before you are ready to serve eggs so it will stay hot. Place egg(s) on top of hash and serve.

You could also use frozen, thawed potato chunks or hash browns.

Last edited:
When people talk about Corned Beef, are they usually referring to canned or a huge chunk of beef that has been seasoned and needs cooking.
No canned for us! But, canned is cooked and ready to go.

Corned beef hash always uses already cooked corned beef, usually leftovers if you've cooked it at home. We often get a thick slice or 2 at the deli to make hash.

Corned beef is made by placing a piece of brisket in a brine with basically deli pickle spices and letting it soak under a weight for at least a week, sometimes a lot longer. It started as a way to preserve beef.

After the brine period, the optimal way is to steam it to cook.

Last edited:
Hash is a favorite at my house but it’s rarely corned beef.

I usually start by frying the fresh, frozen, or leftover potatoes to get some good color and crunch before adding any of the other odds and ends.

If you don’t have potatoes substitute leftover rice!

Use what you have, bits of ham, kielbasa, pot roast, chicken, along with leftover or fresh carrots, onions, cabbage, beets, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, etc…

Be sure to include any dabs of congealed meat stock, fat, or gravy for additional flavor.

Plenty of black pepper, a squirt of Worcestershire sauce and a little salt.

Please stay away from the canned stuff!

1689437142896.gif

Last edited:
Growing up, Hash, in our family - a guaranteed favourite, fight for the last spoonful, was the left over Roast Beef from Sunday's dinner.
Put thru the meat grinder, then an onion thru the grinder, then the left over boiled potatoes into the grinder!
Fried in the Cast Iron skillet, turned about til there were crispy pieces here and there.
I'm not sure what else she added to it. I could never replicate it.
Served with ketchup for the kids and A1 sauce for the others. Don't ever remember seeing an egg on it.

Growing up, Hash, in our family - a guaranteed favourite, fight for the last spoonful, was the left over Roast Beef from Sunday's dinner.
Put thru the meat grinder, then an onion thru the grinder, then the left over boiled potatoes into the grinder!
Fried in the Cast Iron skillet, turned about til there were crispy pieces here and there.
I'm not sure what else she added to it. I could never replicate it.
Served with ketchup for the kids and A1 sauce for the others. Don't ever remember seeing an egg on it.
That's how my mom would do it using leftovers.
Roast or a chuck roast.
If she didn't have left over potatoes fresh was used.
She would also use the left over gravy. Mixed it all in. Made some biscuits and a salad. Her cooking method at the time was using 2 large electric frying pans.

For me, it depends on what I have on-hand. After St. Pat's Day, it is the corned beef leftover two days or so after the green decorations have faded. I've used canned corned beef, but the St. Pat's leftover corned beef is definitely better. Momma made hash out of leftover roast, etc. It was always good!

That has with the ground ingredients sounds familiar. I think my mum made that. She also made biksemad, the Danish version of has and pyttipanna, the Swedish version. I don't remember there being a difference. There was probably some minor difference that my Swedish dad appreciated.

After doing bacon for 7 mouths and using the fat for my Mom's famous "French toast" there was never any fat left over to save for anything else. :LOL:

That's how my mom would do it using leftovers.
Roast or a chuck roast.
If she didn't have left over potatoes fresh was used.
She would also use the left over gravy. Mixed it all in. Made some biscuits and a salad. Her cooking method at the time was using 2 large electric frying pans.
If she used roast beef then it wasn't corned beef hash

Hash is more of a template, than a strict recipe. There's potatoes (cooked or raw), onions, and usually previously cooked meat or fish and black pepper. There can be additions of other vegis and added herbs, spices, and other seasonings. Some people like a sunny side egg on top. When you make hash using corned beef it is called corned beef hash.

Good description taxy. Think of hash in the same frame as 'quiche' or 'stew' or even 'roast'.

So georgevan, any recipe for beef hash would be good for corned beef. Just watch the salt content.

I've reread your original post. It sounds like you bought a large chunk of 'corned beef' to make hash. Not a canned corned beef correct?
If so, well I've never cooked one and couldn't even begin to tell you how to go about it. :wacko:

Hash is more of a template, than a strict recipe. There's potatoes (cooked or raw), onions, and usually previously cooked meat or fish and black pepper. There can be additions of other vegis and added herbs, spices, and other seasonings. Some people like a sunny side egg on top. When you make hash using corned beef it is called corned beef hash.

When I make roast beef hash I also add to above ingredients (potatoes (cooked or raw), and onions), mushrooms and any leftover gravy if available.

Last edited:
Our grandmothers would be shocked and amused to find us discussing recipes for a simple scrappy meal like hash. 🤭

When the grocery budget was sinking for the third time my mother used to make a skillet meal with ground beef, onions, potatoes, and corn that resembled hash and was served with plenty of ketchup.

Our grandmothers would be shocked and amused to find us discussing recipes for a simple scrappy meal like hash. 🤭

When the grocery budget was sinking for the third time my mother used to make a skillet meal with ground beef, onions, potatoes, and corn that resembled hash and was served with plenty of ketchup.

Understatement of the year. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom