ISO new ideas for leftover ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually have enough to freeze, along with the bone, after we get sick of it. Always nice to find some while spelunking in the freezer for later soups, salads, etc.

I'm making a ham steak for dinner tonight. I hope to use the leftovers tomorrow to make a diced ham and veggie alfredo/ pasta dish. I have sugar snap peas and asparagus.

Some ways I like leftover ham, some already mentioned, are Ham Loaf. Ham Quiche, Ham Salad, both ground or ham strips in a cobb salad. Some of these begat more leftovers, in the biblical sense. Ham and Scalloped potatoes, ham and noodles /tetrazzini, Ham and pineapple kebabs, ham strata, Fried rice.

And if you have a ham bone, just pick your favorite soup. I have to agree, I don't think having leftover ham is the issue, it's the ideas that need to be shaken free.

I usually have enough to freeze, along with the bone, after we get sick of it. Always nice to find some while spelunking in the freezer for later soups, salads, etc.

Don't you find the texture gets funny when you freeze it? I do. I find it kind of watery. I wouldn't want that in a salad or on a sandwich.

Don't you find the texture gets funny when you freeze it? I do. I find it kind of watery. I wouldn't want that in a salad or on a sandwich.
I also think it gets mushy and watery after freezing and thawing.

It's fine in soups and such, ground for salads, and yes, we have slices for sammiches. I freeze some Honeybaked or other spiral cut pieces all the time. It helps to use the Foodsaver. No discernable difference noted! A drier type of ham probably is better than a wetter ham for defrosted slices. I'm sure the ice crystals do something to the cellular structure, but for us, it tastes fine.

Last edited:
Yes, I think ham texture changes when it's frozen/thawed. And there is a great puddle of water released. I haven't figured if this makes the ham saltier tasting, or if some salt is also released. It is ok again, if you fry or cook or bake the thawed ham. I don't care for it so much in sliced cold ham sandwiches. To me, this is the same with frozen, then thawed turkey, ok to cook with in casseroles, doesn't make as good a sandwich. So I try to use as much as possible of either in sammies before freezing.

We love to take leftover ham, shred it up, remove as much fat as possible and add it to some bbq sauce, then fry it up until the sauce starts to caramelize. Serve it on a toasted bun.

You could also chop it up and add it to oven baked hash browns.

Munky.

It's fine in soups and such, ground for salads, and yes, we have slices for sammiches. I freeze some Honeybaked or other spiral cut pieces all the time. It helps to use the Foodsaver. No discernable difference noted! A drier type of ham probably is better than a wetter ham for defrosted slices. I'm sure the ice crystals do something to the cellular structure, but for us, it tastes fine.

I betcha it's the Foodsaver that makes the difference. The moisture doesn't get a chance to evaporate into the freezer bag/container.

ham hash is good (instead if corned beef).

i had ham dim sum once that was really good. you could grind the ham, add scallions, maybe some mashed potato and wrap in wonton skins for dumplings or potstickers.

ham and ricotta calzones come to mind, as does ham and queso empanadas. i had both recently at a new years thing at work that were very good.

Mmmm, ham and pineapple pizza! Ham, pineapple, cashew, raisin Thai fried rice (had that with pork instead at a fave Thai place, no reason not to sub ham).

Last edited:
or bake chunks of ham with butter sauteed onions, par boiled potatoes, and sauerkraut in a casserole.

man, i'm getting hungry for ham. :pig:

taxlady said:
I betcha it's the Foodsaver that makes the difference. The moisture doesn't get a chance to evaporate into the freezer bag/container.

I think that might be it, TL. Froze some smoked turkey with the same good results with the Foodsaver.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
man, i'm getting hungry for ham. :pig:

I have a big ol' spiral cut sitting in the fridge, calling my name. Must...resist...

PrincessFiona60 said:
Ham doesn't whisper, it screams...

Dr. appt. coming up. Oh, the ham voices in my head...

(insert image of Porky Pig here)

Last edited:
eat me, eat me. i'm so lonely and tasty. i'll just go bad if you don't and have to be thrown away...

buckytom said:
eat me, eat me. i'm so lonely and tasty. i'll just go bad if you don't and have to be thrown away...

It's ham! With a March expy! Yeah!

thanks to everyone for so many good ham ideas and recipes!

when i was in new orleans i had ham, red bean and rice with redeye gravy for the first time. delicious! such a simple dish, but packed with flavor. does anyone have a tnt recipe for this ham meal, including tips for making that tasty gravy?

How about a Croque Monsieur or add an egg on top for a Croque Madame? Both excellent for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even a quick supper!

Or, if you can locate some leftover turkey too, you could make Monte Cristos:

Monte Cristo (serving size 1/2 sandwich)
Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 8 slices Texas Toast bread
  • 1 lb Sliced ham
  • 1 lb Sliced turkey
  • ½ lb Sliced Swiss cheese
  • box of toothpicks
Preheat deep fryer to 360[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ºF[/FONT]

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Beat eggs with milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth.

Make 4 sandwiches with Texas Toast bread, distributing the ham, turkey and Swiss cheese evenly, and cut in half diagonally, corner to corner. Secure each sandwich half with toothpicks.
Put basket on bottom of fryer (If you put the battered sandwich halves in the basket, they will stick!)

Dip each sandwich half in batter to coat. Gently place two sandwich halves at a time into the deep fryer and fry for 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Lift basket to remove sandwich halves from oil, remove from basket with tongs, and drain on paper towels. Repeat, two sandwich halves at a time.

Plate ½ sandwich, remove toothpicks (very important step!), and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with a huge dollop of strawberry preserves. Add a sliced strawberry salad with crème fraiche, if desired

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom