Oven broke. Need advice on cooking a pork chop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Can I cook a pre-seasoned pork chop in a pan? How would I do it? I've only ever cooked pork chops once in my life, so I have no clue what to do with this.

A lot depends on how you were going to bake them. If the seasoning is just a sprinkle on type of thing like seasoned salt, try this:

The basic process is easy. Heat some fat in the pan. When both the fat and pan are hot, add the chops and brown them well on both sides then turn down the heat and let them cook through.

If it's a heaver coating like Shake N Bake, then you're into frying the chops in oil (like fried chicken).

Andy, it's a seasoning on the top, kind of thick, but not like shake n bake.

Bowlingshirt, i would love to grill, but my charcoal got wet, my grill rusted, and I'm out of newspaper to start the fire. :) Can't wait to start working again so I can buy a new grill and charcoal.

Looks like pepper and others. It was preseasoned from the store.

I think the lack of oil the last time I tried was where I went wrong.

If no bread crumbs, just seasoning, you can go with a bit of oil I should think.

Looks like last time they were "PORK CHIPS". My mom was famous for them. My grandfather called them "shoe leather" But they were alway tasty and gum exercise is good dental hygiene.
If you cover them, make sure you uncover them the last 5- 10 minutes or they'll be rubbery. But I skillet mine in cast iron with some oil, drain on papertowels and have a hard time waiting til they're on the table.

quicksilver

Pork, whether cooked on a grill, in the oven, in a pan, or in a slow cooker will become very tough when overcooked. My best pan-fried pork chops are cooked over medium high heat in a covered pan with a a couple tablespoons of liquid. The liquid can be pork broth, wine, water, apple juice, etc.

First, heat the dry pan to medium heat, unless you are using a non-stick pan. Then, add a tbs. of oil and swirl it around to completely cover the cooking surface. Place the chops into the pan and immediately cover. Cook for about 4 minutes. Flip the chops and cook for another four minutes, covered. Of course the timing depends on the meat thickness. For the average supermarket pork chop, this amount of time will work well. You will know the chops are done when the juices run clear. Oh, the cooking time will also increase as you increase the number of pork chops in the pan.

I detest the flavor of wine, and all alcoholic beverages, except sherry with pork. But you only need 1 tbs. per chop to add great flavor.

Remember, pork can, and in my opinion, should have a hint of pink in the meat. At that color (about 145 to 150 degrees F.) all nasty micor-critters are dead and the meat is safe to eat. The pork is still juicy and tender. This is especially important if the meat is very lean.

I know that it is frowned upon around here to use meat tenderizer. But a bit of papain-based meat tenderizer sprinkled into the meat, which then has a thousand or so holes (well, maybe not a thousand) poke in it with a for, will come out with a great texture. Just remember that most meat tenderizers are heavy with salt, so use sparingly. Another great method to tenderize lean pork is to again poke it with a for, and then soak it overnight in milk. There are enzymes in the milk that help break down the protien fibers without making them mushy.

Make sure the side dishes are done before starting the chops if possible, as they take up to thirty minutes to prepare, depending on the sides. Imediately plate the pork chops with the side dishes. You can also add immense flavor to pork chops by serving with something like plumb or hoison sauce, or fruity sauces such as cherry, apple, or pineapple. Stone fruits also go great with pork chops. So heat up some peach slices with a bit of cinamon and nutmeg, and place them on top of the plated chops if you don't want to make a sauce.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Can I cook a pre-seasoned pork chop in a pan? How would I do it? I've only ever cooked pork chops once in my life, so I have no clue what to do with this.

Half the pork chops I cook are in a fry pan. I love them that way. I start em fast and finish em slow. A good coating of oil if using a SS pan.

Okay, this is taking way more than 8 minutes. I washed off the coating (it tasted gross) and just did salt and pepper and did a cherry/apple glaze to finish it off.

I browned on both sides in oil for 4 minutes each and now have the pan turned down the heat but after 20 minutes, the inside is only at 145 degrees.

Goodweed, the suggestions were FABULOUS. Even my daughter is raving. The method helped for tender chops and makes me want to do it again (and I generally don't eat pork). The glaze was 1/4 jar of cherry preserves and 2 scoops of clear apple jelly. It was amazing. So simple yet so wonderful. And, YES, I did use meat tenderizer. I'm an official convert. The trick, for me, was slow cooking at the end to get it up to temp. I'm in love. This was great.

pork chops

i use the flour, egg wash and panko combo and fry it in a skillet with enough evoo to cover , even in a non-stick. use med low to med heat . they become golden brown, turn em over and do the other side. the inside should be done, juicy and yummy tasting with a great crispy crusts. i only use a bit of seasoned salt and pepper.

babe:chef:

I like to chicken fry mine in a little oil, dust with flour, and seas. of choice, brown on both sides, turn down add a little water cover, cook till fork tender - make gravy !! My fav .!

Back
Top Bottom