Anyone Thinking Of Soups Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vagriller said:
I think I've only made navy bean soup once or twice, but I use dried beans. Wouldn't the jar of beans work just like canned beans? I might have to try northern beans. How similiar are they to navy beans? And would ham work in it?

i think northern and navy are the same not sure though i use dried northern beans soak them overnight and slow cook all day with a ham hock, onions,
ham chunks, marjurom (sp) a bay leaf, water, can of crush tomatoes and
one can of spicy tomatoe juice. this is really good soup.

the jar i bought has all types of beans not sure if i add the beans later
if it would taste as good. i might just use the jar of beans for a side dish.

We had roast chicken last Sunday, so the carcass became the basis of a huge pot of cock a leekie soup. Some for Monday evening and some for the freezer for later.

Rickell - I may have to put a contract out on you because of your mention of your wonderful fall weather :LOL: . Up until today, it's continued to be quite brutal here heat-wise. Today it's been in the low 80's, but prior to that we've had daily temps in the mid 90's with heat indices much higher (yesterday, 101). Needless to say, soup hasn't really been on my mind. . .

If my husband liked cold soups, I'd be whipping up batches of Gazpacho & Cold Cucumber - but alas, he's only a hot-soup person. I have made a few soups this summer, but they've all been light semi-clear types.

However, once fall eventually does arrive here (fingers crossed that it's soon!!), I'll be breaking out my repertoire of Minestrones, Black Bean, Portugese Kale/Sausage, Turkey Meatball, etc. I adore soup for dinner so long as the weather cooperates.

BreezyCooking said:
Rickell - I may have to put a contract out on you because of your mention of your wonderful fall weather :LOL: .

it has been the first time in about a month it has not hit 100 or above
yesterday the high was 78 today 82 not sure on thursday but i know
by the weekend back to 100, then they say back down again next
week. so don't shoot me yet:blink:

repertoire of Minestrones, Black Bean, Portugese Kale/Sausage, Turkey Meatball, etc. I adore soup for dinner so long as the weather cooperates.

will be asking for ideas in fall definately would like to get your help with
the kale and sausage, turkey meatball? do you have to cook the meatballs
first.

I always enjoy my tomato and basil bisque, finished with crem fraiche and basil ribbon. Beingst it is on the menu, it is always around.

I made some really nice chilled carrot and ginger soup, finished with candied cilantro. It was great! Very light and refreshing on a hot day.

I love soups, love to make them and love to eat them. I am a seasonal cooker, the question at my house in not, what's for dinner?, rather the question is, what needs to be eaten? That means we do not have many soups during gardening season. Last week I made a lentil and ham hock soup, just to clear the hocks out of the freezer. When we were freezing the sweet corn, I was thinking that I would mainly be using the corn for corn chowder. We grow lotsa potatoes, and I make many soups with the potatoes. Yea, soups!!

I made a chilled mango soup the last week... but I sense that is not quite what you are asking about.

Professionally, I make two types of soup from September till May so I'm always thinking about soup.

At home, however, I haven't quite gotten that urge yet. Give me one night in the low 50s, however, and I'll be thinking of it quickly enough.

YT2095 said:
it`s interesting to see this topic today, I mentioned to my wife this morning (UK time) that I can feel Autumn approaching, and she said, yeah, we haven`t had soup for ages either :)

and although we`ll not be having that tonight, I have plans for a nice Beef and Tomato soup for tomorrow, with the Obligatory Chili pepper or 2 in there also :cool:

Beef and tomato sounds great.
Can you please post the recipe?

Thanks!!!

It's been in the 70' during the day and 50's at night (sometimes 40's), so yes, soup has been on my mind. I made a chicken tortilla soup on Sunday. I only like hot soups, and only when it's cool/cold outside.

Yes, I am definitely thinking about soup! That will be the main part of my new job - did I tell ya I got a new job? :)

I was thinking about soup before that anyway. Ordered some Jerk Chicken soup for lunch the other day & they were out of it - so disappointed. Really in the mood for it lately. ChefJen, would you please share your recipe for Tomato Cream Cheese soup? Sounds decadent to me. I love decadent!

We are just coming out of the soup ' season' and I rejoice as tomorrow is the fist day of our Spring.:clap: :clap: :clap:

I have been making two soups that I love lately, and its pleasing that our clients do too!:)
First one is Broccoli and Blue Cheese and the other, my long time warming pal, Curried Pumpkin. This is made with coconut milk and sprinkled with cilantro. Important to have a tasty pumpkin/squash to start with otherwise the soup will be ruined. It is nothing for staff to roll their eyes when they see 3 or 4 pumpkins with wee wedges cut out of them. Ive microwaved those bits to do a taste test!! lololol

We dont even eat chilled soup much in summer. Too many other good things to enjoy, but come Autumn, Im ready.:chef:

Chef_Jen said:
Yes I made a batch of my Tomato Cream Cheese soup.. mmmm

its chilly here today

Jen, would you please post your recipe for Tomato Cream Cheese soup? My mouth is watering!

Thanks!

Lee

pdswife said:
Beef and tomato sounds great.
Can you please post the recipe?

Thanks!!!

yeah if you like, it`s nothing fancy though, I`m only a home cook :)
the part that takes the longest is the beef, I buy a couple of Large beef Brisket "joints" put those in a large pot with bay, garlic, chilis, paprica, whole black pepper corns and a couple of large onions (dont bother taking the skin off if they`re clean) just slice them as is. then I top the whole thing up with Beer enough to cover the meat by half inch.
let that simmer for a few hours (3 to 4 is about good depending on the amount of meat).
let it cool enough to take the meat out Very carefully and drain it, leave it to go room temp, then pop it in a plastic bag and stick it in the fridge overnight.
this makes the meat more stable to cut, cut this meat into slices across the grain, then put these slices (enough for 2 good sandwitches) in a bag and freeze them.
take them out when ever you want beef sandwiches OR a soup :)
with the stock you cooked the beef in, strain that off into a meat tin or sauce pan and reduce down, enough that when cold it will Gel, after that put it in the fridge and gel, then cut into 4 slices and bag each one for the freezer as a Stock.

for the soup, take out 1 stock bag and a beef slice bag.
dice up an onion and a glove of garlic and frech chili peppers(optional), and cook this of until translucent in butter, add your stock and Tomato juice (an Italian guy grow toms on the land next to mine and makes his own juice, so I use that) but a carton of V8 or plain tom juice is just fine too, add the beef slices and simmer, the beef Will fall apart if you cut across the grain, salt to taste.
it`s bare bones simple, and about as far removed from complex as it gets, you can add whatever herbs/spices you think will go nicely with it too.
if you like it thicker, crush up some rice and add a little of that durring cooking.

once you have all the earlier stuff done (the meat ect...), it`s simply convenience cooking :)

I make tomato soup (with escarole or spinach) this time of year. I make Manhattan clam chowder...I love soup any time of year...but seasonal ingredients help too!

Robo410

Robo410 said:
I make tomato soup (with escarole or spinach) this time of year. I make Manhattan clam chowder...I love soup any time of year...but seasonal ingredients help too!

Robo410:would you mind sharing your tomato soup recipe here. Escarole or spinach sounds unusual to me, but very healthy. Thanks

My resulution for the winter will be to write down what I thrown in my soup pot. I love the free rein of experimentation soup gives me...is their anything easier to experiment with? BUT because I am very forgetful I cannot remember my spur of the moment inspiration that led to triumphs a couple of days later.

In the waning days of spring we had a cool morning and I thought I would make the red bride soup as given on the side of the packet of lentils, but in the afternoon the weather turned to warm....I did some thinking and decided that spicing it up would make it more vibrant and warm weather friendly...I cannot remember exactly but I was thinking east, lime coconut and firey little chillies were involved.....my husband must have eaten three pints of that soup....the whole batch went that evening, lol.

So this winter I want to start keeping a clip board with paper loaded for quick note taking in the kitchen.

VeraBlue...I love the sound of chilled mango soup....would you mind posting the recipe?

Back
Top Bottom