Hearty soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bellkev

Assistant Cook
hello every... i have read alot of the posts here.. and it is exactly what i was looking for....

i love good hearty soups (ok other soups are good to)... but it is getting cold here and a heavy soup is excellent.

problem... i have a lactose problem, so all of the creams, milks, cheeses, etc are out... i make alot of pea soup, a heavy pasta fasul, lental, and a squash/sausage/marjoram.... working on a lima bean soup, but mine is aweful so far.....

i have been experimenting with with alot of tomatoe bases, and using carrots to counter the heart burn :) ... any other ideas... i would love a hearty sea food type soup.. but any vegitable is good to me.. well except bussle sprouts, those should be considered weeds and uneatable.... imo...

i think it is a texture thing, i generally use corn starch now to thicken up even chicken noodle soup... but iam looking for other ideas...

thanks
--bellkev

Hi bellkev, and welcome to this site....I like hearty soups, too. If you cannot tolerate the cream and cheese in some recipes, you could always try adding potato - it adds "creaminess". By the way...brussel sprouts are lovely if they're not overcooked - I've seen some wonderful recipes. Divine even! -Sandyj

Hi bellkev, have you tried experimenting with other milks? A lot of soup recipes can be made with very pleasing results from soy and rice milk. (You may encounter a bit of hit and miss with others like oat, almond and grain milks in the soup department, but well worth experimenting with!).

You could also try using Lactaid milk instead of "normal" cow's milk. This is milk that you can buy in many stores (at least in Canada) that is treated with Lactaid so that those with lactose intolerance (as opposed to someone with an actual lactose allergy) can drink and cook with them. It has a little bit of a sweet taste (IMO) but is otherwise just like regular cow's milk. If you are not familiar with this product here is the link to the offical Lactaid site page about it: http://www.lactaid.com/products/index.jhtml?id=lactaid/products/milk.inc

There are soooo many soy products out there from soy cream cheese to soy sour cream and yogurt and each one of these would give their own sort of twist and creaminess to a soup (also try making French onion soup and topping your toasts with rice cheese - yum!). Some people who are lactose intolerant can handle goat's milk and the products such as yogurt that are made with it (the live cultures sort of help to break down the lactose in both cow and goat's milk yogurts)...just another option to throw out there :)

A big welcome to the boards bellkev - I'm glad you've joined us here :chef:

My Mom makes a lima bean and macaroni soup using chicken breasts and dried lima beans. It is not highly seaoned, but you could change that. It is very filling. If there is interest, I'll post it.

I make a couple good "hearty" soups, and only one of which uses dairy products (clam chowder). The other soups/stews are variations of Chicken soup (noodle, rice), Chicken Tortilla, and gumbo. I use my own homemade stock to make these with, so I know exactly what goes into them. Now that I have a good quantity of beef stock, I'm going to start working on a basic Beef Stew recipe, hearty and full of flavor.

The first soup I learned how to make was vegetable beef. It's still my favorite...just chunk up a chuck roast, and add to a big pot with chopped onions, garlic, celery, bay leaves, S&P, a couple cans of diced tomatoes with their juice, and water or tomato juice (V8 is good) to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until meat is almost tender. If you used water as a liquid, add a can of tomato paste. Then add chopped carrots and potatoes, and other vegies of your choice. I like to use green beans, corn and peas. Let simmer until vegies are tender, reseason (I like to add a bit of thyme), and serve.

If you check out the soups and stews section, you'll find lots of other good ones, including my beef stew and chicken soup.

You can also make a great potato soup with chicken broth instead of milk. Start by cooking chopped bacon, then add onions and cook until softened. Add flour to make a roux, then add your chicken broth and chopped potatoes. Season with S&P and let simmer until potatoes are soft. It will thicken up very nicely and taste delicious. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chopped green onion.

Have you tried Italian Wedding soup? Make your favorite meatballs about 3/4 in in diameter and keep them frozen. You use chicken stock and escarole and pasta. It is one of our favorites.

I've posted a number of Scottish soups which are hearty and not 'cream of...' anything!

Scottish lentil soup
Cullen Skink (haddock thickened with potato)
Cock a leekie
Partan bree
Scotch broth

If you do a site search, using any of the above, you'll be able to find the receipes.:mrgreen:

barley thickens and adds a creaminess to soups.

MD crab and Manhattan clam chowder are tomato based, with celery carrots potatoes etc. No milk or cream. Both very fine and other seafoods can be added.

Back
Top Bottom