ISO fish soup/stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I am looking for a good fish soup recipe that has a kick and isn't too expensive to make. I have tried a spicy fish soup from a Thai restraunt and loved it. It had mostly shrimp in the soup. I have dried lemongrass, which I thought might work in a soup like this. Does anyone have any good recipes?

I love lemongrass soup made with shrimp.

This isn't Thai, but it is good ...

REDFISH SAUCE PIQUANTE

1 pound redfish fillets (you can also use catfish or a similar fish)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
2 cups chicken stock
1 can Rotel tomatoes
2 cups cooked brown rice

WASH fish in cold water, cut into bite size pieces.

IN a large, heavy saucepan, sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil for 10 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds.

ADD chicken stock and Rotel tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add fish and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Serve over rice.

Serves: 4

This is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for:

SPICY SHRIMP SOUP WITH LEMONGRASS
Lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves are there for flavor, but not to be eaten.

1/4 pound shrimp
4 cups water
1 stalk fresh lemon grass, sliced
1 can (8 oz.) straw mushrooms, drained
2 kaffir lime leaves (can substitute grated lime rind)
1 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce (depending on personal taste)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 to 4 red chili peppers, seeded and chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon red chili paste)
Garnish: Cilantro sprigs

Devein shrimp; leave shells on for color, if desired. Bring water to a boil. Add lemon grass and straw mushrooms; immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes; stir in fish sauce and lime juice. Sprinkle with green onions, cilantro, and red chili peppers, if desired. Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Makes 4 servings.

Note: Fresh mushrooms can be substituted for the canned mushrooms, but add at end of cooking time.

Thanks HanArt that looks like a great recipe. Easy to make and reasonably priced. Thanks. I am going to make that as soon as I can get my hands on rotel. They don't sell it here in New York, but I can pick some up when I go back to Oklahoma next month.

OK, I am definitly going to try the Spicy Red Fish Stew and the redfish sauce piquante. I have my mom picking up some rotel for me in Oklahoma to send up. I would really like the lemongrass recipe, but unfortunately I am not able to get some of those ingredients unless I go to specialty stores. I am definitly keeping it though to try at some point.

I lived in a very small town in New York and we always could get Rotel products at our local supermarket. Do you live in New York City? Hard to believe they don't have any there.

I do live in the city. I have tried 5 different grocery stores and even fresh direct and didn't find any. I have been looking for a long time because I love to mix rotel with velveeta for cheese dip. My mother is sending me a package this month so she said she would throw in a couple cans for me. Hopefully it will make it up here some day.

The spicy Thai soup is called Tom Yum or Tom Yun (depending on the restaurant) soup.

But, nothing beats a good bouillabase. They're easy to make and you're not restricted to any specific types of seafood. Just buy whatever is the most fresh.

abj, look in asian markets for tom yum soup base. it's a concentrated paste of all of the spices in tom yum, sold in small jars. just add boiling water, some shrimp, scallions, and button mushrooms and there ya go. it's cheating, but it's really fast and very cheap to make. and with it's spiciness, you really can't tell the difference from the homemade stuff.

jeez, here i go again. i'm still on my soup kick, and am bumping this nine year old thread in search of a simple fish soup recipe. what i have in mind is one that uses a mild white fish, potatoes and dill, with or without cream. can somebody help me with this?

the mention of fish, cream and/or milk, and dill screams scandinavian cooking.

you might want to start there.

For really tasty fish chowder, ask your fish monger for the frame of a fish. (What's left over after they filet the whole fish. Head and all.) It makes a really tasty stock. Even the supermarkets do filet whole fish. So they might have one or two. Simmer with carrots, celery, and an onion. No need to peel, just wash first. Then strain through a cheesecloth. Great stock. If you can get more than two, make a large pot of stock and freeze some. You can also make a great seafood stock from the shells of shrimp, crabs, lobster. Next time you go out to eat, take those lobster shells home and place them in the freezer for the next time you want to make a seafood stock. Save those shrimp shells also, the next time you have them on a menu.

BTW, Better Than Bullion has one for clams and lobster. :angel:

This is my take on more complicated Russian fish soup.

I buy heads and carcass/bones, or some cheap fish like whole tilapia, but make sure there are bones in it. Bones is what will give you the rich broth. Cook in a pot like as if you are making meat stock. When you think it is ready, strain the broth, discard the bones. Now add some chopped onion, potatoes, carrots, black peppercorn, bay leaves. Salt/pepper to taste. When it is close to be ready, I add chunk of salmon, or halibut, white fish is also fine, but I would recommend fillets. Add fresh dill and parsley. Cook until the fish is just done, do not over cook. Separately cook barely or rice, whichever you like better, add a spoon or two to the bowl when serving.

Last edited:
thank you bt, addie and charlied for giving me your good fish soup ideas. charlied, halibut and salmon are verrry pricey where i live. they probably won't be making it into my soup pot any time soon....

Tomorrow's recipes for the food photographer include lobster, tuna, rock crab, mussels, and scallops. I have fish stock in the freezer and crab, shrimp, and lobster shells. I just stumbled across a crockpot recipe for seafood chowder that sounds mighty fine. I have to pick up the tuna steaks and mussels from the fishmonger later, I will have to ask if he has any "racks" that I can have to make more fish stock. Thanks, Addie.

The recipe that I'm thinking of making is in the latest issue of Canadian Living. But here is a link to a bunch of seafood/fish chowder recipes for CL:

seafood chowder - Search Results - Canadian Living

thank you bt, addie and charlied for giving me your good fish soup ideas. charlied, halibut and salmon are verrry pricey where i live. they probably won't be making it into my soup pot any time soon....

You only need couple-three small cubes of it. But in any case you can use filet of any fish you like, catfish for example is very easy to filet, there no small bones, unlike white fish, and it is not expensive.

Italian style fish stew:​

San Francisco Cioppino Recipe

Ingredients:

· 3/4 cup butter
· 2 medium onion, chopped
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 bunch fresh parsley leaves, minced
· 2 (14.5-ounce) cans plum tomatoes undrained and cup up*
· 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
· 2 bay leaves
· 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
· 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
· 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
· 1 1/2 cups dry red or white wine (whichever you prefer)
· 12 small hard-shell clams in shell
· 12 mussels in shell
· 1 1/2 pounds raw extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined**
· 1 1/2 pounds bay scallops
· 1 1/2 pounds fish fillets (halibut, cod, or salmon), cut into bite-size chunks
· 1 1/2 cups flaked Dungeness crab meat
· Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add onions, garlic, and parsley and sauté until onions are softened. Add the tomatoes, clam juice, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, and wine, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Scrub clams and mussels with a small stiff brush under cold running water and remove the beards from the mussels. Discard any open clams or mussels. Cover the clams and mussels with cold salted water, let them stand for 5 minutes, and pour off the salted water.
Gently stir the clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, fish fillets, and crab meat into the prepared stock. Cover the Dutch oven and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until clams pop open and shrimp are opaque when cut.
Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and ladle the cioppino into large soup bowls for serving.

Korean style fish stew:

Jam Bong

Ingredients:

· 4 sole fillets (ask your fish monger for the bones and trimmings from the fish)
· 6oz shrimp, peeled and de-veined (save the shells, heads and tails)
· 6oz scallops
· 6oz squid or octopus
· 1 onion, diced
· 1 carrot, diced
· 2 scallions, chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 chicken bouillon cube
· 3 to 5 dried red pepper pods, crushed (start with 3)
· 1 bok choy, chopped
· 8 mushrooms, sliced
· 1 Tbs peanut oil
· ½ cup rice wine
· 3 Tbs soy sauce
· Juice of 1 lemon
· salt and pepper to taste
· bean sprouts

Instructions:

Make fish stock by putting the fish bones and trimmings, and shrimp shells and trimmings, in 1 quart of water with the onion, garlic, carrot, scallions, pepper pods, and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes, then strain. Taste the stock after 15 minutes to judge the spiciness. Add more pepper pods if necessary. Quarter each fish fillet and poach them in the stock until tender.
In a wok, stir fry the mushrooms and scallions in peanut oil until tender, add the shrimp and the squid or octopus and stir fry for 2 minutes longer. Drain and add them to the stock. Add the rice wine, lemon, soy sauce, and bok choy and continue to boil for two more minutes, until the bok choy is wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls, garnished with bean sprouts.

vitauta
I know you said that you wanted to use fish, cream and or milk and dill,
but here's food for thought ;) (HA! I made a funny)
DH and I like this recipe:
Vera Cruz-Style Fish Our Way | My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert
(thought that I'd save everyone time by posting a link :whistling)
It's simple, easy and delicious, could easily feed a crowd, I liken it to a fish stew and I serve over rice :yum:

Back
Top Bottom