Sweet taste in vegetable beef soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lin3

Assistant Cook
I made a big pot of vegetable beef soup today and it has a sweet taste. Is there anything I can add to get rid of that sweet taste or at least calm it down?

Thanks,
Linda
Front Royal, VA

You want to be careful with additions to counteract the sweetness as they could change the flavor of your soup to something you really don;t care for.

What caused the sweetness?

You could try some chile pepper to introduce some heat, or some lemon.

I don't really know what caused the sweetness. The only thing I did different was add a little celery and a few carrots. Maybe tomorow night I'll try a little bit of lemon. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try and remember to post back how it goes.

Thanks again,
Linda

To me it is the carrots primarily that add the sweetness, which I often like in soup.

But to each his/her own.

Onions do, but less so.

Agree with Andy, would add a bit of an acid, perhaps vinegar or lemon juice. First thing I thought of was a bit of hot sauce. Or perhaps a dash, just a dash or Worcestershire sauce.

Other tan making a whole bunch more that is not sweet and diluting it, which sounds like an unattractive idea to me, have no other suggestions.

Sorry.

I hate to say this but meat gives off a sweet whang when it is going bad just like "blinky" milk. The meat/milk doesn't smell but it taste funny.

lemon or vinegar would be my initial ingredient. maybe more salt or extra stock after that if that flavor wasn't what you're looking at.
did you caramelize your veggies?

This perplexed me for a long time in soups and stews....The common denominator was always Carrots for me...They impart a "sweet" flavor that to me (IMO) I find distasteful. We will be doing Coq au Vin this week-end and the carrots will be par-boiled/drained and then added towards the end.

Yeah, lots of carrots will give the stew a sweet component. I actually like that component though... when it's balanced off with acid and salt. Mastering the balance of Sugar, Salt, and Acid is truely one of the hallmarks of a great cook.

Onions will also add sweetness to a dish, especially if you caramelized them first. I'm not a big fan of Vidalia/Maui's for this very reason unless I'm making a really sweet onion dish.

Add some cabbage, which I consider the "secret" ingredient to vegetable soup anyway. It is peppery. More celery will give some salt as will some parsley.
I know I don't know the degree of sweetness you are experiencing and everyone has their own likes, but I think a layer of "sweet" enhances most dishes, including meat/savory. And I don't eat desserts, so it is not a sweet tooth thing.

you can pinch some herbs like thyme or marjoram rather than basil which is sweeter to help change the dynamic of soups.

I agree that you definitely have to be careful with the amounts of both carrots &/or parsnips you add to soups &/or stews.

Both are "sweet" vegetables, & too many (especially parsnips) can add a cloying sugar-like sweetness to any type of soup or stew - whether meat or poultry. In fact, while I do enjoy parsnips as a vegetable on its own, I no longer add them to soups or stews because of the sweetness factor. I don't care much for sweet things - am definitely more a "savory/hot spicy" lover - so parsnips taste almost like candy to me.

As far as correcting the sweetness afterwards, you can try to spice things up a bit (if you like that sort of thing), with more herbs, freshly ground pepper or hot pepper sauce, salt or salt blends, etc. But you definitely have to taste frequently as you go because it's just as easy to make things worse than they were before - lol!!

I think a dark leafy green like turnip greens

will help or add some more tomato.

Carrots are only 2nd to sugar beets as a source of vegetable sugars, and contain both water and fat soluble sugars. You're sweetness was from the carrots. Celery is rather low in sugar so that would not contribute a significant amount, any more than regular storage onions, but celery does contain chemicals that can brighten the flavors and perhaps make the sweetness more pronounced.

When I make a big pot of Italian Gravy (that simmers for about 4-6 hours) I use 2-3 finely minced carrots (they totally dissolve during cooking) instead of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes (about 6 28-oz cans) - something I learned from my Brooklyn-Italian ex-wife.

If you want to try to balance the sweetness without changing the flavor too much ... try adding something acidic (I would go with red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or just plain distilled white vinegar) in small increments (a teaspoon at a time) and let it simmer about 5 minutes before tasting. It's kind of hard to guage the amount of vinegar to add not knowing how much soup you are talking about. You can always add more but you can't take it out if you add too much!

I want to thank everybody for all the suggestions and help. This is my first visit to this site and you couldn't have made a person feel more welcome! Even though I'm 55 yrs. old I'm not that great of a cook nor am I very versatile. So, I may be back for more help now that I've found you.

The amount of soup I made is about 6 qrts. You wouldn't think 2 small carrots would produce that much of a sweet taste. Anyway, I will try the vinegar in small increments later on.

Again, thanks so much!

Linda

Yep Michael, totally agree.

When making Italian tomato -gravy or sauce, I don't want to get in to that debate-carrots add a lovely flavor and sweetness. And when the gravy, OK the sauce, is done there will be no chunky evidence of it.

Linda - you're right, 2 small carrots shouldn't have done that. Can you give us the complete recipe to look at? Everything you used?

Here's the ingredients:
steak - don't remember what cut it was, but it was supposed to be good for grilling.
beef bouillon
fresh diced potatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
cabbage
celery - a couple sticks diced
carrots - 2 small
1 can green beans
1 can limas
1 can corn
salt & pepper

I think that's everything.

Okay - I see what could be the problem. The can of tomato soup. Most, if not all, canned tomato soups are outrageously sweet. I really think that's what made your soup too sweet - not the 2 carrots (although they certainly didn't help the situation once you added the soup - lol!!!).

Back
Top Bottom