The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annhh

Assistant Cook
Hi, New Friends,

I found this site while looking for alternatives to the use of chili and chili products in my recipes. I am highly allergic to capcazin (or any other spelling you may know) ... and it seems that everyone is on Emeril's "BAM" bandwagon. I can't even trust a restaurant, as the waitresses rarely know what is in the dishes and even the chefs often use "mixed spices" or packaged products with "mixed spices" and do not know what spices they may contain. For now, when eating out, my husband tastes my food first, but he is often wrong if the flavor is not predominate. So I put a tiny bit on my tongue and, if the tingling begins or my throat feels odd, I send it back.

Equally difficult is cooking at home. What to use when a recipe calls for, and even needs, a "bite" to complete the flavor.

Since I love to cook, I am hoping that this site will not only answer my first question but will open new ideas and recipes for me and my diabetic husband. Oh, and I also have a digestion problem with most veggies, especially leafy ones. Needless to say, life can be difficult in my kitchen!

Thanks to all for welcoming me,
Ann

hello annhh, and welcome to dc.:) allergies can be difficult, especially when dining out. how nice that you have your own personal "taster"--you don't see much of that anymore....make yourself at home, annhh, and join in on any conversation that beckons to you....

Welcome! I totally understand your frustration - in the last 5 years or so, I've developed quite a few food allergies/intolerances, and going out to dinner is such a fiasco!

My boss had to rid his diet of all pepper products for medical reasons, and sadly his favorite item is Tabasco. If I see him this week, I'll ask what he's subbed for it :)

PS: you know how alspice has that weird tongue-numbingly sharp flavor? Wonder how that would go....

Question for you, Annhh - do you have to stay away from all nightshades (peppers, potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes) or just the chiles? I was just reading up on nightshade type allergies, so I thought I'd ask :)

To jkath re allegy

Hi, again, my allergy is specific to capsaisin, which is what gives chiles their heat. I've not had any serious problems with the other things you mentioned, as a matter of fact, I love eggplant and potatoes. I do have to be careful with tomatoes, but they only give me sores in my mouth if I eat too many or too much food with them in it (red sauces, etc.).

Wasabi/horseradish, peppercorn. Not really a substitute but Arugula is kinda spicy. I'm stumped otherwise. Capsaicin is a pretty unique chemical.

I just read about Nonivamide, may want to look into it as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom