The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
Hi, have just joined these forums from the USA (sad to say) and am in need of help learning how to bake my own "Fair Dinkum Aussie Pies and Sausage Rolls - two things you just can't get here, presumably because McDonalds doesn't make em :huh: Anyway, am just trying to introduce some Aussie foods that I miss terribly to my home here and to let others in them as well.

In short, I need help, advice on pretty mucvh everything from making the "pastry - what to use" to the actual ingredients, especially the sausage rolls. What I want to replicate (if possible) are the 7/11 jumbo suasage rolls in Oz. May not be gourmet or anything but taste great - even my Yanky wife loved em :)

Thanks mate and I hope to - have to be honest though, I thought this was an Aussie Forum - not sure why, I geuss being an Aussie living in the US has scrambled my sanity and brains :)

Well, I for one, think of us as an English speaking forum. Yes, many members are North American... but don't hold that against us, please?
Quite a few are ex-pats from their native homes.

Okay @dragnlaw a ridgy didge Aussie Sausage (or Snag as we like tro call em) Roll .......

sausage roll.jpg

Quick question on the side if I may - is there way to "edit" a post, you know for spelling errors etc?

By the way, I would just like to point out that Sausage Rolls originated in the UK... ahem.

:cool:

That said, there doesn't seem to be much difference between a UK and an Aussie version - ours look exactly the same as the pic just posted!

Hi, have just joined these forums from the USA (sad to say) and am in need of help learning how to bake my own "Fair Dinkum Aussie Pies and Sausage Rolls - two things you just can't get here, presumably because McDonalds doesn't make em :huh: Anyway, am just trying to introduce some Aussie foods that I miss terribly to my home here and to let others in them as well.

In short, I need help, advice on pretty mucvh everything from making the "pastry - what to use" to the actual ingredients, especially the sausage rolls. What I want to replicate (if possible) are the 7/11 jumbo suasage rolls in Oz. May not be gourmet or anything but taste great - even my Yanky wife loved em :)
g'day mate, limey retired baker here.

you'll find it easier to buy frozen puff dough for your first go at sausage rolls.
breakfast sausage meat works, jimmy dean in the usa is a decent brand available anywhere.
or.. buy breakfast sausages ,slit them open and pull the meat out.
Add half a cup of bread crumbs for every lb of sausage meat.

unroll the dough and cut lengthwise into 2 oblong sheets.
lay the meat along the long edge of the dough, about 1 inch thick cyl of meat, and roll it up, you can get 2 long rolls from each sheet of dough. Cut to desired lengths ,

arrange on baking parchment on a tray, leave at least 1 inch gap all around to allow for puffing. Eggwash and bake at 350 , give them 30 minutes and check the bottom, if its brown on the bottom its done. owzat !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom