Real Sausage Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Jimmy Dean's sausage wombat is looking at is available in 1/2 kg (1 lb) packages, so you could give the herb amounts for that amount of pork.
Okay, so for 500gm, I would use:
Basil, thyme = 1 Tbsp each
Marjoram, oregano, sage, parsley = 1 tsp
Garlic powder = 1/2 tsp

But as I mentioned, check the loaf ingredients to see what they have already added and adjust.

And hey! Maple sausage is a thing because sausage is often served with pancakes or waffles, which are usually served with maple syrup, which gets onto the sausage on the plate et voilà! Naturally maple-flavored sausage! 😁
I barely tolerate maple on pancakes (it has to be blended with honey and butter). Forget about putting it on meat--and my bacon and other breakfast items must be on a separate plate!

I've made my own minced pork in the food processor before. You just have to cut the pork into chunks and partially freeze them before pulsing so you don't end up with meat paste.
but it is paste. Thats what he's shooting for, typical UK/irish bangers.
heres some cumberland and chinese sausages i hand linked, the red color is from red yeast rice powder, the pork is double minced and hand beaten to develop the protein, as if making bread.
the predominant flavor is sage , salt and white pepper.

sausages (1).jpg

heres some cumberland and chinese sausages i hand linked, the red color is from red yeast rice powder, the pork is double minced and hand beaten to develop the protein, as if making bread.

View attachment 67577
I was just pointing out that I've made my own mince/ground meat before, I didn't want paste.

He'd better run his Jimmy Dean through the food processor then, because the grind on that is a much coarser texture.

I barely tolerate maple on pancakes (it has to be blended with honey and butter). Forget about putting it on meat--and my bacon and other breakfast items must be on a separate plate!
Are you talking about real maple syrup? I'm not overly fond of sweet on my savoury, including maple syrup, but I think real maple syrup is wonderful.

Are you talking about real maple syrup? I'm not overly fond of sweet on my savoury, including maple syrup, but I think real maple syrup is wonderful.
Correcto. I would never use artificial maple syrup but I'm not overly fond of maple flavor, which is why I blend it with honey and butter. And like you I'm not fond of sweet on my savory.

Sorry but I have to smother my pancakes in maple syrup followed by lashings of whipped cream ...the ONLY way to ensure blocked arteries :-p

Jeeze - it WORKED!!! o_O

Okay, on the premises that this is going to also work, I am going to make a batch of rolls using just the JD Regular Sausage and will adjust from there - who knows, that mightbe all I need to have the flavor I remember from Oz and the Melbourne 7/11 Rolls :) If nothing else it will be a starting point. In themean time I will try toget some ground pork and try some from scratch :)

Okay, on the premises that this is going to also work, I am going to make a batch of rolls using just the JD Regular Sausage and will adjust from there - who knows, that mightbe all I need to have the flavor I remember from Oz and the Melbourne 7/11 Rolls :) If nothing else it will be a starting point. In themean time I will try toget some ground pork and try some from scratch :)
I think you'd be fine adding a few of the herbs suggested by @Jade Emperor, whatever you already have on hand of course. What does the JD have listed on the package, or is it vague "spices"?

View attachment 67577
You still want your meat cold before grinding otherwise it smears. You can grind multiple times, but keep it cold.
After that you work it with your hands and it becomes like a paste (you activate myosin etc)

I'm intrigued to know if an Aussie sausage roll is the same as a British one? In the UK, you have pork sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry, with a few slashes across the top. Pretty simple and very easy to make if you buy ready-made puff pastry! But are Aussie sausage rolls different?

I have some Aussie friends online, and I believe they make them the same as UK sausage rolls.

CD

Not a problem and thanks ... I think I'll get a 6 pack to make sure I have enough then - better to have too much and not need it than run short :)

Those packages (called chubs) freeze very well, so if you buy too much, freeze the rest for later.

My favorite is one you probably can't get. It's Texas thang.

1705354215514.jpeg

CD

I bought 5 rolls and have them in the fridge, but will freeze 3 of them until needed - thanks (y)

Everything in our cooking journey is about experimenting. We all learn as we go. I really hope that everyone here understands this.
A failure to create the desired outcome doesn’t mean we throw our hands in the air and give in to frustration.
Sausage rolls are what you make them - I’m advocating that you play around with the mixture until you get the right balance for YOU.
I can guarantee that once you have your “sausage rolls” everyone will rave about them - if they are good.
Example: I make good sausage rolls, I use the herbs described above,
My husband makes outstanding sausage rolls, and his herb blend is not open to me. But I don’t care.
My husband makes very few things, I’m the cook.
But when he gets his cheffy hat on, he’s actually quite good.
So you see, being a good cook isn’t about being able to make everything. It’s about knowing your wheelhouse.

Everything in our cooking journey is about experimenting. We all learn as we go. I really hope that everyone here understands this.
A failure to create the desired outcome doesn’t mean we throw our hands in the air and give in to frustration.

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more (y)

Sausage rolls are what you make them - I’m advocating that you play around with the mixture until you get the right balance for YOU.

I would have been shocked, amazed had I got it right on the first attempt - mixture wise I mean.

I can guarantee that once you have your “sausage rolls” everyone will rave about them - if they are good.

I'd be content with them being good. My wife loved the ones I made yesterday so I geuss that is what is importnat, for th epeople who will be eating them to like them.

Example: I make good sausage rolls, I use the herbs described above,
My husband makes outstanding sausage rolls, and his herb blend is not open to me. But I don’t care.
My husband makes very few things, I’m the cook.
But when he gets his cheffy hat on, he’s actually quite good.
So you see, being a good cook isn’t about being able to make everything. It’s about knowing your wheelhouse.

Thanks for the encouragement mate - appreciate it (y)

I am a fussy eater and I know what I like and what I don't. Food is not a standard, it is dependant on a persons individuality. An extreme example - some people think macdonalds make great hamburgers :eek: In my opinion they make second rate card board replica's. It all comes down to person taste.

Another example is pasta - I prefer my spheghetti soft so cook it (all pasta actually) for 25 - 30 minutes on the boil. Those who prefer it el dente, or however you spell it would hate mine.

What I like, you (figuratively speaking) may not and visa versa, especially when it comes to taste and the finer aspects of food.

Last edited:
Another example is pasta - I prefer my spheghetti soft so cook it (all pasta actually) for 25 - 30 minutes on the boil. Those who prefer it el dente, or however you spell it would hate mine.

What I like, you (figuratively speaking) may not and visa versa, especially when it comes to taste and the finer aspects of food.
I like my pasta soft, too (in case you were wondering, it's al dente but I don't care how someone spells as long as I can understand what they are saying), and my Italian-American husband likes his pasta softer too--which goes against the grain of some of his cousins' tastes, LOL. You'd love my homemade fresh pasta, it only takes 3-5 minutes to boil and has a great mouthfeel. I have a really great recipe for pasta I found online.

If you are going to start making your own puff pastry and pie crusts, you might as well start making bread and pasta, too...in which case you might want to think about getting a stand mixer. I love my stand mixer, it does make things much easier. That being said, a lot of stuff was made by hand for centuries so it can still be done that way.

Your pasta sounds great and only a few minutes to cook as well. I have seen a few movies/commercials where someone is making their own pasta and it looks complex to me and necitates a special pasta cutting machine ... not sure if I amready to go their just yet.

Bought one of those bread making machine things a long time ago then bought the bread mix already made pretty much - put it altogether, hit the button and when finished - threw it all (machine included) to the birds :) Moral of the story - going to the store is easier and quicker and almost gaurentees a good result :)

I'm gunna need a bigger kitchen ..... :(

Hmm, appliance's, lets see - I have a wisk, some plastic type food prep spoons, spatula's and um, oh yeah I have a blender thing that I use to ground up spices, grasses etc to use as scenery on my model train layout. I am geussing, I may need a few more things then ? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom