Real Sausage Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe that is the taste that I am missing in mine - using pork instead of beef? Anyway, your recipe does sound good, I'll give them ago as well - cheers mate!

Hmm you wouldn't be just a tad bias by any chance would you ? :-p :D

I'm honest about my cooking. Lol

Russ

I have found ground lamb here for around $5.99 lb. I only buy Aussie lamb--shhhh, don't tell @Rascal because he swears by NZ lamb only. But I have never seen NZ lamb at the markets here because NZ doesn't export them to the US I guess, they keep all the good stuff for themselves!
We export to the UK. I've seen it in harrods.
USA I would say import it as well.

Russ

Has me thinking now as well - a beef/lamb mix .... hmmm - I'd have to look at lamb prices first though - it is damn expensive here, well Aussie Lamb anyway.

Of course I was onto something - you think I say these things just for the fun of it??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Okay, seriously though - I do use worcestershirte sauce in my hamburgers and it does taste good, gives the burger a bit of a small kick so I can't see why it mightn't do the same for sausage rolls.

Heck at this juncture, I'm willing to try just about anything until I fluke onto something.

I buy frozen whole lambs 9.99 kg.
Last 1 I bought was $240 for 24 kg
My friend butcher cuts it for free.

Russ

Funny that you guys never see NZ lamb. I don't remember ever seeing Australian lamb here. It used to be almost all from NZ, but we see more Canadian lamb now.
Remember that wombat said he's in a small town. I'd have to check where the lamb at the stores near me is from, but I'd be surprised if I couldn't find it from both Oz and NZ. There's also a whole-animal butcher near me that gets local lamb and a halal butcher where, when I asked for ground lamb, he went into the walk-in freezer and brought out half a lamb, cut some pieces off and ground it right then. That was $9.99/lb. I think that's a typical price for ground lamb.

Last edited:
The problem with buying a second hand rolling pin is that you never know when it might be needed in a court of law for evidence.
Then you are stuck with how to roll out your dough.
Straying away from the topic further, I never use semolina in my pasta unless I am wanting to dry it for later use.
I come from a suburb where almost 90 percent of residents are of Italian descent. My recipe for pasta comes from the nonnas.
1 cup 00 flour
2 eggs + 1 yolk
Dash of evoo
Dash of salt (or MSG lol)
An absolute shirtload of kneading - this is the step that so many people avoid and the biggest mistake you can make. Knead your pasta while you think of happier things, then keep kneading.
Into the fridge for at least thirty minutes before you work it, buy a KitchenAid because it’s worth every penny believe me and you are off and running!
Returning to sausage rolls!
Sure, give other meat mixtures a try, why not?
Pork and beef play really nicely together, not sure about lamb - it’s a bit gamey for many people. With lamb you are tip-toeing into a more Greek style roll. All good, but absolutely not an Aussie sausage roll. Serve some tabbouleh with that one. But I would devour that!
Parsley is a big tick for me, but I wouldn’t say it’s the biggest deal here. I just think that the rosemary is wrong for sausage rolls but I am always ready to be wrong. It’s part of the culinary adventure.

To be honest, I once went mad crazy about only buying NZ lamb for the restaurant. It was emblazoned all over the menu, how much we loved NZ lamb! It was a thing back then.
As I matured as chef, I became more aware that fads are what they say on the tin.
No person really cares that the caviar they just paid with their first born comes from the Black Sea - just make it taste good chef.
End of the day, end of the bill.
Make really tasty food that makes people happy, nothing more, nothing less.
(At very least, that’s how I see it)

you can find used kitchenaid mixers used on craigslist, often brand new for $150.
Once you have the mixer , there are many pasta attachments for the mixer on amazon.
Theres also a metal meat grinder that fits the mixing machine which can also fill sausages.

Pork and beef play really nicely together, not sure about lamb - it’s a bit gamey for many people. With lamb you are tip-toeing into a more Greek style roll. All good, but absolutely not an Aussie sausage roll. Serve some tabbouleh with that one. But I would devour that!
Parsley is a big tick for me, but I wouldn’t say it’s the biggest deal here. I just think that the rosemary is wrong for sausage rolls but I am always ready to be wrong. It’s part of the culinary adventure.
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. Gyro in a blanket (I think I'd put fresh herbs and feta in mine), served with tzatziki sauce, maybe a small Greek salad (I don't love tabbouleh). No rosemary for me in my rolls though, I'm not a big fan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom