New member in need of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkey

Assistant Cook
Greetings from Grantham, Lincs, UK fellow foodies!!

I love to cook and will give most things a og. Always looking for new ideas and reason/excuses to throw a party (my friends call me "the feeder"):ohmy:

However, I join you with a request for some serious help!!!

My sister-in-law has just been diagnosed with gout. A bolt out of the blue. We all thought it to be a complaint suffered by older fatter men who ate too much cheese and drank too much port?! How wrong we all were!!!

The thing is, there seems to be so much conflicting information about foods to avoid/foods to eat etc.:unsure: So, wondered if any of you could enlighten me, perhaps offer up some Gout busting recipes and so on?!

Thanks one and all

Looking forward to hanging out with you!!

Monkey (Rach)

I love to cook and will give most things a og. Always looking for new ideas and reason/excuses to throw a party (my friends call me "the feeder"):ohmy:

My sister-in-law has just been diagnosed with gout. A bolt out of the blue. We all thought it to be a complaint suffered by older fatter men who ate too much cheese and drank too much port?! How wrong we all were!!!

The thing is, there seems to be so much conflicting information about foods to avoid/foods to eat etc.:unsure: So, wondered if any of you could enlighten me, perhaps offer up some Gout busting recipes and so on?!

Thanks one and all

Monkey (Rach)
Welcome to DC Rach.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about gout except a friend of mine has it and has to limit his intake of red meat.

Hi, Rach. Welcome to DC :)

I consider the Mayo Clinic a reliable source of medical and nutritional information. They have a page on a recommended diet to follow to reduce the chance of attacks: Gout diet. Hope this helps.

Hi, Rach. Welcome to DC :)

I consider the Mayo Clinic a reliable source of medical and nutritional information. They have a page on a recommended diet to follow to reduce the chance of attacks: Gout diet. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I don't have gout or any one in my family has it. But I knew very little about it. I am always open to learning something new. We do have a few folks here in the building that suffer with gout. My heart goes out to them. You can see the pain they are in.

When I first read the request for help from our new member, my first thought was, "Well I wonder how long before someone has an answer." Not if, but how long. We have such a diversified membership here, that so far I have yet to see a request for help go unanswered. :chef:

Monkey I over produce Uric Acid.I was in urology yesterday afternoon with the dietician. This link shows oxalates in foods, if in the left hand column it shows VH or very high your SIL should steer clear :ohmy:
http://www.lowoxalate.info/food_lists/alph_oxstat_chart.pdf

My Uric acid forms kidney stones out of the crystals and I have been on a 6 months clinical trail (thank you NHS) of a number of Uric acid busting drugs.
One worked and even with a moderate intake of high oxalate foods reduced my production buy over 50%.
I was happy the dietician (a beautiful Malaysian Dr who gave me her mums Rendang Recipe) and the consultant was happy they scheduled me for the stone removal in 5 weeks time.
All these services should have been provided by her GP?

Last edited:

Thanks one and all

Monkey (Rach)

Hi Rach and welcome to DC. I'm 50 now and I was diagnosed with gout some years ago. The doctor gave me some dietary advice, basically to avoid food rich in purine, like anchovies, sweetbreads, game and other that you can easily find on the web, and to avoid an excessive consumption of proteic food. I followed those guidelines, setting up a regime on my own, with the aim to reduce my overall weight, too. I must add that I found, as it always happens, contradictory info both on the web and from the doctors. I just tried to manage my health condition with some common sense.
The doctor prescribed me a drug based on allopurinol too, which perfectly solved my problem: I took a couple of pills a day and my blood levels were back to normality, gout was gone. After 1 year of taking this drug, I decided on my own to stop: I was lucky, because now I have no symptoms of this illness. I must add that, since I'm a perfect idiot, I never tested my blood to check my health condition after quitting allopurinol.

Hope this help a little :)

Last edited:
Welcome to DC, Rach! A friend is prone to gout--she has to limit her red meat intake and alcohol consumption (the two things that come to mind). The Mayo clinic link looks as if it might have a lot of good information.

Wow!!! You guys are BRILLIANT!!!

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your time and efforts to assist me with help pertaining to Gout-busting!!! i really am so very grateful, and chuffed to bits ("stoked"/...just in case that's a typically British term?!;)).

Found the information really helpful as you have helped confirm some things and given light on other bits! Fabulous!!!

having read-up some more, following your links etc...I can share some more information with you all, just in case anyone else has similar query:

Green Tea - in fact any antioxidant type thing - Brilliant for this condition, eg pineapple, grapefruit too

Avoid Soya (bummer.... Miriam loves her porridge made with soya milk in the morning lol!!!)

however, from the sounds of things, a healthy balanced diet should do the trick...as will moderate weight loss...and as has already been identified, binning the alcohol and so on.

Miriam has an appointment with her GP this afternoon. i shall email her all your kind advice so she can discuss it all with him and hopefully get some clear and defined ideas as to the best action to take.

Once again

i thank you.....a whole big bunch

Yours in gratitude

Monkey xx:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom