Chili Cook-off Side item?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessin

Assistant Cook
Friend of mine is participating in a Chili cook-off, and I want to help out by providing a interesting side-item to go with the chili. This isn't any sort of special contest, simply a in-house contest with some folks across the military base I work at.

However the idea of going with ye ol faithful, cornbread, is something I'd like to avoid. I'm not typically an adventerous person, except in the one area of cooking where I like to try new things. So I'm wondering if anyone has any idea for an alternative side item or perhaps a non-standard cornbread reciepe that would be interesting to go with chili.

P.S.
If it matters, my friend (and I) are big fans of really thick chili, and he has a preference for a bit of spiciness to it.

i often add cheese,and green chilies to corn muffins. gives them a little boost and of course you can also add whole kernel corn. i also put out sour cream, grated cheese, olives, croûtons, and anything else you think would be good in chili. let everyone dress up their bowl as they like.

and or a green salad.

babe:chef:

I make cornbread muffins with jalapenos, cheddar and bacon mixed in.
mmmmm.
I think tomorrow may be chili night.

drawing a big ole blank here.
sorry, my thoughts were same as others.
cornbread with creamed corn, sugar, ortega chilies, cheese, lots of cheese, bacon with bacon drippings in there too, other than that, I can only come up with spaghetti noodles and finely grated cheese for those who'd like to do the SL chili and put their chili atop the spag and dollop with cheese and onions..........

habenero corn bread. for those who want ti a bit hotter.

I think I saw a recipe on allrecipes.com

I do this..don't need a recipe.

To what ever cornbread you bake add diced jalapenos. That's all you need to do. I use the ones from a jar for this and it works really well.

I've got a recipe posted here somewhere for cheesy spoonbread - a search will find it. It seems we just can't get away from cornbread! :LOL:

Growing up, we always had mashed potatoes with our chili - it was quite good!

Thick slices of bread grilled over charcoal, wood, or even smoked are excellent!

what about a deep fried whole onion, like outback's bloomin' onion, or awesome blossom.. sorry, I don't quite recall what it was called! :ROFLMAO: either way, yeah... one of those! they sell the seasoning packets I think in most kitchen stores I think? maybe with a cool dipping sauce base of sour cream, chipotle, chili pepper, etc. something that kind of goes along with the flavors of the chili... :rolleyes:

personally I like unsweetened corn bread made with whole kernel course grind meal, salt, soda, and baking powder, eggs and buttermilk, poured into a screaming hot skillet with bacon fat and crumblings. I'll often add hominy to the batter. It is just perfect with chili on top or next to it with a bit of butter. Folks who want it sweet can dip it in syrup or honey butter.

I serve this as sides with chili every Halloween:

Corn Casserole-mushy cornbread
1 can cream style corn 1 can corn
2 eggs 1/8 cup sugar
1 box jiffy cornbread mix 1 stick butter-melted

Preheat oven to 375.
Mix first four ingredients in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle dry cornbread mix over top.
Pour melted butter over top. Bake at 375 for 40-60 minutes until firm.

Mexican Fudge
16 oz shredded sharp or mild cheddar cheese
16 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese
6 eggs
8 oz green salsa (hot)
Tortilla Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease 9x13 pan.
Spread ½ the cheese mixture in pan.
Beat eggs and mix with green salsa.
Pour egg mixture over cheese.
Spread remaining cheese on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes – remove and cool slightly - Cut into 1” squares and serve on chips if desired

I really like Uncle Bob's and VeraBlue's suggestions of fried plantains.

Cornbread seems to be the standard accompaniment to just about everyone's chili. Heck, even I make cornbread with chili.

I use corn tortilla chips to help thicken my chili.

If you can get it easily, try some Queso Fresco crumbled over the top of the chili.

Otherwise, just like everyone has said, the usually garnishes for chili, like onions, cheese, crackers, sour cream, jalapenos, etc.

that makes sense AllenOK.
it's a good flavor and compliments chili too.
a really old friend used to make this k!(k @$$ baked beans recipe. his secret to it's scrumptiousness? << thickening with Frit0$:ohmy:

I always make the Velveeta dip, using Pace Piquante sauce instead of Rotel tomatoes, and serve it with corn chips. In addition to a side, we like to put a spoon full of dip on top of the chili and crumble corn chips into it. It's yummee!

Back
Top Bottom