"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
A little off-topic and might get misinterpreted as sarcasm but I mean it honestly. Hats off to Termy for mining DC's archives. Keep it up buddy.
I like books etc. I have read all kinds of law books, but of course some not all the way - like each word.

I remember Ma giving me a very old cookbook, but not for long. I avoided the pastry side of it for the meat and whatever side.

People were different, and meat cost more.

Anyway, just a blast from the past.

T
Termy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetizers, meat, recipe

Meatball Appetizers Yesterday our daughter had a first birthday party for our grandson. It was a mid-afternoon party, and I helped out by making appetizers. I decided to make meatballs as one of them. I've never made meatball appetizers before, but thought how hard can this be? I searched for recipes, and settled on this one: [URL="https://allrecipes.com/recipe/16163/barbecued-meatballs/"]Barbecued Meatballs Recipe - Allrecipes.com[/URL] I took the suggestions from the comments and used Italian style bread crumbs and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I baked them on a foil lined cookie sheet for 30 minutes, and finished them off in a slow cooker on low for 2 hours to coincide with the start of the party. Kenji at seriouseats cautioned against overcooking meatballs, as they will dry out like any other meat. They got rave reviews. I thought they came out pretty good, but not as good as the comments I heard. Then it registered with me. Many of the recipes I looked at called for using bags of frozen meatballs. My hand made, not overcooked meatballs made with 85% ground beef were most likely compared against mysterymeatballs from the frozen food case, which I'll guess that most milennials are used to. That's a pretty low bar to have to top. It wasn't all that much work to make them. I scaled up the recipe to 3 lbs. of ground beef, which I guessed was the capacity of my 4.5 qt. KA stand mixer (it was). It took about 20 minutes to shape 60 - 65 meatballs, which was about 2/3 capacity of a 6 qt. slow cooker. The moral of the story: some shortcuts aren't worth taking. 3 stars 1 reviews