What size meatballs do you like for spaghetti?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'Other' meatballs are created to enhance or go along with other parts of a meal, in that the are a part of but not the star of said meal.
Swedish meatballs, with their nutmeg/cloves warm spices in a mushroom sauce are the star of the show.

-When someone says "Spaghetti and Meatballs" they think Spaghetti and meatballs, oh yum!
-When you add meatballs to a soup - it is part of the soup. "Oh Great! love those meatballs in this soup!"

BUT - when you say "Swedish Meatballs for supper!" THAT is the star of the show. Doesn't matter if served with noodles (well, it is the best) or with rice or potatoes... doesn't matter! The star of the show are the Swedish Meatballs in a Mushroom Cream Sauce.

Just my humble opinion.
There are other meatballs that are the star of the dish, like Middle Eastern and Greek, and Italian meatballs aren't always served with spaghetti. Sometimes they're monster sized lol

I've never seen Swedish meatballs with mushrooms. Not that it doesn't exist that way, I've just not seen it. What makes them Swedish is, as you say, the spices, especially allspice and nutmeg, and the cream sauce.

Last edited:
LOL - just proves my point! In North America the usual term is Spaghetti and Meatballs. So as you've pointed out, Swedish, Middle Eastern, Greek have meatball mixes that are the star (think koftas, etc.) Each have their own spice mix.

Just a guess here, but perhaps the 'mushrooms' in the creme sauce are because people had a tendency to use Campbell soups as a short cut. and mushroom soup was a tasty choice.

ahh, Aunt Bea, posted whilst I was a-typing!

LOL - just proves my point! In North America the usual term is Spaghetti and Meatballs. So as you've pointed out, Swedish, Middle Eastern, Greek have meatball mixes that are the star (think koftas, etc.) Each have their own spice mix.
Mexico and China have meatballs, too, but I didn't want to make the list too long
😁 I think probably every culture has a version of seasoned balled-up meat scraps 🤣

The world is smaller than we think. Meatballs everywhere. Stuffed pasta's or dough of some sort.

Edit:
oops - got carried away... also meant to say -
there are the stuffed pasta's and dough everywhere as well.
Then there are flatbreads galore!

Fermented foods (and drinks, yup)
and the list goes on

Last edited:
So, yeah, in Sweden there is usually allspice and nutmeg in the meatballs and they are usually served with gräddsås (cream sauce). Has anyone here had the cream sauce made with the addition of black currant jelly or other fruit jelly? What about lingonberry served as a side with the meatballs?

So, yeah, in Sweden there is usually allspice and nutmeg in the meatballs and they are usually served with gräddsås (cream sauce). Has anyone here had the cream sauce made with the addition of black currant jelly or other fruit jelly? What about lingonberry served as a side with the meatballs?
I have not heard of putting any kind of jelly in the sauce. It's usually recommended to serve it with lingonberry jam on the side, but until recently, it was difficult to find. My Kroger carries it regularly now.

IKEA used to serve Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam on the side.

It helped them sell a lot of lingonberry jam. 🤭

The only meatball jam or jelly combo that I ever had was the 3 ingredient cocktail meatballs that were popular years ago.

Miniature meatballs in a sauce made with equal parts of grape or currant jelly and barbecue sauce or chili sauce.

IKEA used to serve Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam on the side.

It helped them sell a lot of lingonberry jam. 🤭

The only meatball jam or jelly combo that I ever had was the 3 ingredient cocktail meatballs that were popular years ago.

Miniature meatballs in a sauce made with equal parts of grape or currant jelly and barbecue sauce or chili sauce.
I really like those! 😋

This meatball shaping gadget appeared in my Facebook feed this morning.

Is it a solution in search of a problem? 🤔

It might be helpful in a school cafeteria, summer camp, etc…

1691062344910.jpeg

If I made meatballs once a month, I might be tempted. But I don't so I'm not.

Like those hamburger press thingy's. Got one when they first came out but were (for me) very fussy to use, more washing up to do and was quick to hit the junk drawer.
Anybody still use one?
hamburger press.jpg

If I made meatballs once a month, I might be tempted. But I don't so I'm not.

Like those hamburger press thingy's. Got one when they first came out but were (for me) very fussy to use, more washing up to do and was quick to hit the junk drawer.
Anybody still use one?
View attachment 65400
Nope. After a couple of uses, ours hit the trash bin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom