Cast Iron Seasoning Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought a cast iron skillet for eggs. Maybe I should return it. It sounds like a lot of work to keep up.
We have a few cast iron skillets that only ever get used for eggs. They don't get washed, just brushed with a wok brush if necessary and then any excess grease is wiped off. Easy peasy.

If the only thing you plan to use it for is eggs Breathing Couch then you might be better off returning it and getting a teflon type non stick pan instead. Cast iron is amazing stuff to cook with, but most of the benefit is that it gets hot and holds onto that heat very well. This makes it great for cooking things like steaks (and many other things) where you want to pan to stay real hot when the meat hits it. You can certainly cook eggs very well in cast iron, but a teflon pan will get you the same results and with less upkeep required. Like taxlady said, the upkeep really is not much once the pan is seasoned, but it is more than a nonstick pan.

If you are mainly cooking eggs in the pan, but might also occasionally cook bacon and/or sausage or other things like that then don't get scared away from keeping that cast iron you got. It sounds harder than it really is to take care of them. They are really pretty easy to get and keep in good working order and it is well worth it in most cases.

don't get scared away from keeping that cast iron you got. It sounds harder than it really is to take care of them. They are really pretty easy to get and keep in good working order and it is well worth it in most cases.

+1. :)

If you start with a seasoned pan, cooking with it only adds to the seasoning. Properly used it will become egg-worthy in no time at all.

Thanks for all your help. I am definitely returning that sweet little pan. It deserves a better home than I can give it.

I have a preseasoned Lodge skillet that does well when I cook eggs after I've cooked bacon. I pour out the excess bacon grease and eggs don't stick at all.

However, when I take a good dab of Crisco and melt it in the skillet and cook the eggs, they stick some. I'm wondering why. I'm thinking that I heated the skillet too high too quickly. I didn't get it frying hot tho. I'm gonna try heating up the skillet slowly, maybe that's why the eggs stuck some.

I'm also tempted to start saving my bacon grease, storing it in the fridge and using THAT for frying my eggs instead of Crisco (when I'm frying eggs with no bacon).

I'm gonna try heating up the skillet slowly, maybe that's why the eggs stuck some.

I'm also tempted to start saving my bacon grease, storing it in the fridge and using THAT for frying my eggs instead of Crisco (when I'm frying eggs with no bacon).
The speed at which you get the pan up to temp does not matter. The food can't tell the difference.

Absolutely save your bacon grease. Your taste buds will thank you.

I have a preseasoned Lodge skillet that does well when I cook eggs after I've cooked bacon. I pour out the excess bacon grease and eggs don't stick at all.

However, when I take a good dab of Crisco and melt it in the skillet and cook the eggs, they stick some. I'm wondering why. I'm thinking that I heated the skillet too high too quickly. I didn't get it frying hot tho. I'm gonna try heating up the skillet slowly, maybe that's why the eggs stuck some.

Bacon fat is healthier, and tastes better than Crisco. Lard has no transfats, if it's not hydrogenated, and less saturated fat than butter. It's fairly mono unsaturated fats as well. And deep frying in it gives you far superior results to veggie oils. Your fried chicken will have more crunch. Your french fries will snap.

Bacon fat is lard with the smokey pork flavor of bacon. How can one resist such a thing?

Lard was portrayed as evil incarnate by advertising campaigns by Crisco. It was in their best interest. It made them money.

So what are you going to trust in your gut, something made by nature, or something created by people back in the 40's and fifties, when practically nothing was known about nutrition?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Bacon fat is healthier, and tastes better than Crisco. Lard has no transfats, if it's not hydrogenated, and less saturated fat than butter. It's fairly mono unsaturated fats as well. And deep frying in it gives you far superior results to veggie oils. Your fried chicken will have more crunch. Your french fries will snap.

Bacon fat is lard with the smokey pork flavor of bacon. How can one resist such a thing?

Lard was portrayed as evil incarnate by advertising campaigns by Crisco. It was in their best interest. It made them money.

So what are you going to trust in your gut, something made by nature, or something created by people back in the 40's and fifties, when practically nothing was known about nutrition?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes, yes, yes! Pork fat rules! :LOL:

I keep a jar of bacon fat in the fridge that we use, mostly, for frying breakfast potatoes, and a jar of rendered pork fat that I get from simmering pork-shoulder trimmings when I make posole, etc.

Properly seasoned CI pan... 1 egg, no
39817-albums933-picture5848.jpg
Oil, no butter, no fat,... no Stick!

OK, I had to try this with my 4 month old 8" preseasoned Lodge pan which has been reseasoned, no oil.
The egg came up in one piece with just a little residue in the pan. That residue came off easy in the sink. I guess it's not totally non-stick yet. :) Preseasoned Lodge pans aren't as smooth as I would like, they have that slightly rough texture from the factory which I'm not crazy about.
P1010003.jpg

Speaking of the Lodge CI pans .. if one were inclined to sand/grind/polish the inner to be smooth, what would you recommend? just go at it with a wire wheel & drill? or sanding disc? those pumice stone things?

Speaking of the Lodge CI pans .. if one were inclined to sand/grind/polish the inner to be smooth, what would you recommend? just go at it with a wire wheel & drill? or sanding disc? those pumice stone things?

If one were inclined, you could use a disk sander, with wet emery cloth to do the job. But there really is no need.l Over time, and with use, that seasoning will fill in the valleys between the bumps, rendering the cooking surface smooth. At least that is what has happened with my own Lodge pans.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Speaking from personal experience, there is no need to do any smoothing to Lodge pans. I have two Lodge Logic pans I use regularly and they both cook eggs without sticking. I can slide the eggs onto a plate with no issue.

If you feel you must make the pan smoother, you will have to re-season. And if that's the case, don't buy pre-seasoned CI. You should have some skill with power tools so you don't mess up the surface.

Back
Top Bottom