I am afraid of my food processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puki

Assistant Cook
I got a Magimix 3200. I am very excited about having a food processor - so many recipes demand one and I am always passing them by, but no longer! I think.

I have one now, so I should be able to make that stuff, but I am scared to death of the thing. I have visions of the top flying off because I did something wrong and food going everywhere...or I break the thing because I did something wrong.

There is conflicting advice online. Yes, you can shred Parmesan cheese, no you cannot. Yes, you can shred soft mozzarella, no you cannot. That’s just cheese! I asked a couple people who said, “Sure, yeah, of course you can process an uncooked parsnip” and another who said she didn’t know but she wouldn’t try it.

I ordered two books, so that might help. I hope. For now, it sits on my counter, proudly announcing that it is here in all its shiny white splendor...and mocking me.

Were you afraid of your food processor? And if so, how did you get over it?

Last edited:
I was not afraid of my food processor, but at first was afraid of my pressure canner.

There are safety devices/latches/hooks/ that keep the top on safely and if it should shake loose, it will stop. It MUST be put together as the manufacturer has molded it. It will fit snugly, parts against parts.

Begin by putting it together, now take it apart, and wash it, put it back together, give it a short pulse, see how that goes. Use the whirling blade inside. Put a few pieces of bread it it and make bread crumbs, see how that goes. Work your way up to chopping all vegetables, soft and hard ones. Throw them in a soup today.

When you run it, hold the top with your one hand, and the on/off/pulse with your other. It will be fine.

I got a Magimix 3200. I am very excited about having a food processor - so many recipes demand one and I am always passing them by, but no longer! I think.

I have one now, so I should be able to make that stuff, but I am scared to death of the thing. I have visions of the top flying off because I did something wrong and food going everywhere...or I break the thing because I did something wrong.
This sounds like the beginning of a great horror movie. You should contact a screen writer. You could get in the credits, and maybe residuals.

Last edited:
This sounds like the beginning of a great horror movie. You should contact a screen writer. You could get in the credits, and maybe residuals.

I didn’t even mention the part about the blade flying out and hurting my cat.

I am too afraid to even think about a pressure canner. I watched someone do pressure canning on tv and now I am afraid of pressure cookers. No joke.

I either need to get over myself or go to a shrink who specializes in Small Appliance Therapy.

I am too afraid to even think about a pressure canner. I watched someone do pressure canning on tv and now I am afraid of pressure cookers. No joke.

I either need to get over myself or go to a shrink who specializes in Small Appliance Therapy.

Caution is a good thing with appliances. Fear, not so much. :)

Ross

Food processors are made so that the machine will not even start until it´s properly closed. Nothing to worry about. If the top comes loose ( which it will NOT), the machine cuts off automatically.
Liquidisers (eg. Oster) have a lid that can be removed by hand, in order to add additional ingredients( more water, more oil, etc.). Again, no problem, as long as you don´t start the machine with the lid off. Then you will have a beautifully splattered ceiling.

Okay, reread blissful's advice but skip the first sentence [emoji16]

To get comfortable with it, you need to become familiar with it, and the only way to do that is to use it. Remember that it won't even turn on unless the parts are put together in a specific way that locks the lid on. It's unlikely that you will break it, unless you drop it.

To reiterate - start with a piece of bread and make bread crumbs. Then try an onion. Just use the pulse setting and see what it does.

You can also check YouTube or the manufacturer's website for videos made by the manufacturer for your specific product. These days, they often post demos to show customers how to use it.

Good luck! [emoji256]

There is conflicting advice online. Yes, you can shred Parmesan cheese, no you cannot. Yes, you can shred soft mozzarella, no you cannot. That’s just cheese! I asked a couple people who said, “Sure, yeah, of course you can process an uncooked parsnip” and another who said she didn’t know but she wouldn’t try it.

I ordered two books, so that might help. I hope. For now, it sits on my counter, proudly announcing that it is here in all its shiny white splendor...and mocking me.

Were you afraid of your food processor? And if so, how did you get over it?
They're not all they're cracked up to be. I worked in a three Michelin starred restaurant in France in which there were no food processors present, and the French invented them in the first place.

I have one but rarely use it. A knife, simple mandoline, Moulinex food mill, and a good quality box grater will get the work done and at a human pace without the noise, overhead, and general Sturm and Drang of a food processor. Your chef's knife and mandoline most definitely DO NOT have to be the most expensive ones available.

Last edited:
They're not all they're cracked up to be. I worked in a three Michelin starred restaurant in France in which there were no food processors present, and the French invented them in the first place.

I have one but rarely use it. A knife, simple mandoline, Moulinex food mill, and a good quality box grater will get the work done and at a human pace without the noise, overhead, and general Sturm and Drang of a food processor. Your chef's knife and mandoline most definitely DO NOT have to be the most expensive ones available.
I have one and rarely use it as well. And its a very good one. Same one used on most every cooking show on TV by chefs. Its not commercial, but darn close.
But to think a chefs knife is going to help you make fallafel is short sighted. I think it has its place in any kitchen. But like you, if my knife, mandolin (the most dangerous of all) and box grater can do the job they get the job.
Also I have found the food processor to be great for dough. Especially pie dough.
I would use the processor more if I did not have to clean it afterwards.

Puki, I recommend you ignore the things you read online and read the instruction manual for your machine. It will tell you what to do and not do with that specific machine. Then just practice as suggested and you'll get accustomed to it.

Puki, I am a fan of non-electric kitchen equipment, but anyone who gets between me and my food processors (yes, that's plural) is in for a fight!
The big one I use for slicing cukes for pickles, chopping cabbage for large amounts of cole slaw, pureeing tomatoes for sauce, and many other things. The small one I use to chop herbs for freezing, make flavored butters, and many other things.
Andy gave you good advice. Follow it, use your processor, and enjoy!

I have one and rarely use it as well. And its a very good one. Same one used on most every cooking show on TV by chefs. Its not commercial, but darn close.
But to think a chefs knife is going to help you make fallafel is short sighted. I think it has its place in any kitchen. But like you, if my knife, mandolin (the most dangerous of all) and box grater can do the job they get the job.
Also I have found the food processor to be great for dough. Especially pie dough.
I would use the processor more if I did not have to clean it afterwards.
I said "rarely use it" not "never use it."

I know how to operate a food processor, meat grinder, meat slicer, combi oven, salamander, etc. -- all the relevant gear you'd find in a modern professional kitchen and also their domestic equivalents.

That said, I don't make falafel at home either but I'm pretty sure you could mill it through the medium plate on a Mouli, maybe the fine plate. All about the texture. Meat grinder attachment to a Kitchenaid would work as well, maybe the best of all, as would a manual grinder.

The takeaway is that there are alternatives to a food processor.

There's no shame in not being enamored by them.

Last edited:
It's understandable to be cautious about it that's ok.
I was the same way with mine. Once you get used to it just think of how fast you can make up a quick orange julious or a milk shake on a hot summers day.

Puki hasn't been seen here since Dec 2021. I wonder if the FP has something to do with that??? :LOL:

Seriously though, I have a FP, and use it occasionally, but not that much. But what I do use it for, it saves a lot of time, for sure, and I've never injured myself on it, KOW.

I said "rarely use it" not "never use it."

I know how to operate a food processor, meat grinder, meat slicer, combi oven, salamander, etc. -- all the relevant gear you'd find in a modern professional kitchen and also their domestic equivalents.

That said, I don't make falafel at home either but I'm pretty sure you could mill it through the medium plate on a Mouli, maybe the fine plate. All about the texture. Meat grinder attachment to a Kitchenaid would work as well, maybe the best of all, as would a manual grinder.

The takeaway is that there are alternatives to a food processor.

There's no shame in not being enamored by them.
Agree

Back
Top Bottom