Reusable, not plastic, freezer containers/bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Do you have any reusable containers or bags that ARE NOT MADE OF PLASTIC? Can you use them in the freezer? Are they microwave safe? What do you think of them and what kind are they?

I have been looking at these and wonder if anyone has tried these or similar. https://www.amazon.ca/Reusable-Food-Storage-Silicone-Bags/dp/B07JM5LPWB

I am also looking for information and experience with other types of reusable freezer containers.

I use these. I have small to large size round and square ones which nest with the lids on (I place a paper napkin or paper towel between). I have used the round ones in my Instant Pot also.

pyrex_simple_store_with_lid.jpg

pyrex_bowl_080417_info_IMG_2610.JPG

pyrex_bowl_080417_.jpg

I've been known to use one pint ice cream containers to freeze stuff like bacon drippings, chili, stews, and the like. They are microwavable, and reusable to a point, but sooner or later they end up in the bin.

The silicone stuff I have I've been pretty happy with, but have not used it in this regard. Seems like a good idea though.

I use these. I have small to large size round and square ones which nest with the lids on (I place a paper napkin or paper towel between). I have used the round ones in my Instant Pot also.

View attachment 39416

View attachment 39417

View attachment 39418

That looks great. But, they are kind of pricey. I think I'll wait until they start selling them with silicone lids. I wonder if they are available in singles as opposed to sets.

That looks great. But, they are kind of pricey. I think I'll wait until they start selling them with silicone lids. I wonder if they are available in singles as opposed to sets.

I buy single pieces. I haven’t seen sets. I buy them when they are half price.

I buy single pieces. I haven’t seen sets. I buy them when they are half price.

I guess I'll just have to get out of the house and go to some stores. Online, they seem to only be in sets. Well, tbh, I only checked Amazon.ca. There are other places for me to check. Thanks for pointing out that they also come as singles.

msmofet...

I have a number of those glass containers w/lid.. I buy them in sets of 4 from Home Goods, Big Lots, etc..

I don't recall the pricing but, I do recall that I was/am pleased with the cost..

I use them constantly..

Ross

I stick with hillbilly Tupperware saved from various products that I purchase on a regular basis.

They are reusable plastic and glass containers, plastic bread bags, etc... that would normally end up in the trash or recycling.

The few things that I freeze in glass containers I thaw in the refrigerator overnight. If the top is removed they can go into the microwave but usually, I reheat things in small Pyrex covered casseroles.

I'm not sure that I could bring myself to buy storage containers when the world is already awash in all sorts of free reusable containers.

I stick with hillbilly Tupperware saved from various products that I purchase on a regular basis.

They are reusable plastic and glass containers, plastic bread bags, etc... that would normally end up in the trash or recycling.

The few things that I freeze in glass containers I thaw in the refrigerator overnight. If the top is removed they can go into the microwave but usually, I reheat things in small Pyrex covered casseroles.

I'm not sure that I could bring myself to buy storage containers when the world is already awash in all sorts of free reusable containers.

I hear ya, but I don't get much in the way of reusable plastic bags. I do reuse any of those that I get. A lot of the plastic tub type containers I get, are not really trustworthy in the freezer and they are almost all recyclable, so that's where they go. I need some containers for food that I can thaw easily and quickly. When I run out of spoons for making supper, I usually only have a few choices: find something in the freezer to heat; find some leftovers; or order out. If I order out, there will be throwaway containers to contend with.

Pyrex the way to go and they r not too expensive. Go glass and have no regrets.
Example pricing in US via slickdeals.net lookup

IMG_4108.JPG

Pyrex the way to go and they r not too expensive. Go glass and have no regrets.
Example pricing in US via slickdeals.net lookup

View attachment 39420

That's cool. But, I don't live in the US and ordering from the US is often a real PITA. I don't want to deal with customs and customs brokers. If it is shipped by UPS or FedEx, the customs brokerage can easily add $30 to the cost.

I checked the website of a Canadian store and found some good deals on Anchor Hocking glass storage containers. I even found some Master Chef stuff that has a glass lid with plastic thingees that hold it onto the glass base. That was not inexpensive.

I'm seriously considering getting a small pressure canner. It would save space in the freezer and avoid the necessity for defrosting. I have a bunch of canning jars. I would only need new lids.

I'm with you sister.
IMG_20200227_191757501.jpg
Thing is, hardly ever buy that stuff anymore.
But probably have a lifetime supply.

Last edited:
When you guys are reusing yogourt containers, etc., what do you do to label the when there is other stuff in them?

I don't worry about the plastic containers that I freeze leftovers and the like in, because I don't thaw and reheat stuff in them - I just dump it into a ceramic or Corelle bowl, to MW it. However, I freeze some things, like Thai curry paste, in wide mouth pint mason jars - safe for freezing, due to the tapered shape - which I thaw slightly in the MW, remove what I need, then put it back in the freezer.

That's cool. But, I don't live in the US and ordering from the US is often a real PITA. I don't want to deal with customs and customs brokers. If it is shipped by UPS or FedEx, the customs brokerage can easily add $30 to the cost.

I checked the website of a Canadian store and found some good deals on Anchor Hocking glass storage containers. I even found some Master Chef stuff that has a glass lid with plastic thingees that hold it onto the glass base. That was not inexpensive.

? Huh thought they sell Pyrex internationally. R u sure u don’t have in Canada. I just gave an example. For instance one of the stores was Walmart. Do u have Walmart by u?

? Huh thought they sell Pyrex internationally. R u sure u don’t have in Canada. I just gave an example. For instance one of the stores was Walmart. Do u have Walmart by u?

I didn't say we don't have Pyrex here. I didn't happen to find it, but I didn't look very hard. I did happen to find a great deal on Anchor Hocking, which is a brand I have had good experience with in the past. I don't shop at Wallmart if I can avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom