Traditional Satay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfarrell

Assistant Cook
OK so all the recipies I see for Satay Sause call for Peanut Butter. I'm not after a creamy tasting Satay, but more the slightly bitter firey type Satay. Anyone have any ideas on a satay recipe without the peanut butter?

Thanks

Kieran Farrell

Here is Al Roker's Satay recipe - it does call for a peanut dipping sauce but you don't have to use it. I've done this more than once & I'm always happy with the results.

Satay

1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
3 tablespoons whole milk
3 cloves garlic peeled
3 1/4" thick slices peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 pounds boneless chicken pork or beef

Instructions: Cut meat into 1/12" chunks or 1 X 3" strips.

In work bowl of food processor, mix together all ingredients except for meat. Process until fairly smooth.

Place meat in shallow pan & pour marinade over. Cover & refrigerate for at least 2 hours - up to 12 hours, turning once during this time.

Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 15 minutes to prevent them from burning.

Prepare grill for direct grilling over high heat.

Remove meat from pan, discard marinade. Thread meat onto skewers. Make sure to leave a bit of space between pieces so that each piece cooks through.

Grill for 12 to 15 minutes, turning the skewers so that all sides get cooked. Serve immediately with peanut dipping sauce.

I use red curry paste, coconut milk, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, and fish sauce. Marinate for several hours (chicken) or longer (beef), skewer, and grill.

I serve with a peanut sauce and a sweet red chile sauce. You can also add soem of the sweet red chile sauce to thte marinade.

If you google satay you will probably find a lot of recipes where peanut butter is not an ingredient in the marinade itself.

Is it safe to try this?

Make the marinade. Either of the two above.
Marinade the meats.
Take out meat and add crushed peanuts to the remaining marinade. (Maybe some brown sugar)
Grill Meat
Cook Remaining marinade and use as a sauce?

Cooking the marinade would just turn it into a sauce wouldn't it? If it's cooked you destroy the nasties. Does this seem doable?

I think it would be safe if you boil it for several minutes, but IMO for sate you don't want the sauce to taste exactly like the marinade. You want some offsetting and complimentary flavors/textures.

Have you heard of the book Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet? Basically a discussion of asian food and it's components (hotsoursaltysweet) with recipes.

Because my marinade is hot, salty and sour I like to serve it with sweet chili sauce, rather than something that is hot and salty.

But, to your question, always (full) boil a marinade for several minutes if you want to use it as a sauce -- and remember that it reduces, so gets saltier.

Like many Sate Sauces this one may split on reheating. But, it is just as nice at room temp with Gado Gado and sates. This is a very traditional sauce NOT requiring peanut butter, yummy tho' it is!:)

Peanut Sauce

150 Grs Peanuts
4 to 6 Large Cloves Garlic peeled
2 Tbsps Grated fresh Ginger
2 Fresh Chillies chopped ( deseed if you dont like too much heat)
1/4 Cup Fried Onions ( I use the Asian ones in packets)
2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
1 Tbsp Grated Palm Sugar
2 Tbsp Light Soy
Juice Two Limes
1 Tomato, seeds removed and roughly chopped
1 Tbsp Ground Laos
1/2 Cup Peanut Oil
3 Tbsps Kecap Manis ( Sweet Indonesian soy)
Warm Water

Heat the oil in pan ( wok is best) Fry garlic and tomato quickly for about a minute, remove with slotted spoon. Add Laos to pan whilst still very hot. Add peanuts and cook until brown. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Put peanuts, the garlic/tomato mix, ginger, chillies, lime leaves and juice, onions, palm sugar, soys, into food processor and process until smooth adding warm water to reach desired consistency. You can add some coconut cream if you wish, in place of water.

Back
Top Bottom