"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Dry Rubs & Mops
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Dry Rubs Thread

Rubs are such an important part of slow barbecues, and even oven-roasted meats, and some veggies. They are great on everything from baked whitefish, to Chateaubriand, ribs of any kind, brisket, etc. That being the case, I think this thread could be a sticky if we do it right.

Let's put down our favorite rubs, and what they are used for. They can be any rub you want, from something with lemon grass, or chili powder and brown sugar, or whatever. We can even have categories, such as dry, wet, poultry, wild game, beef, pork, fish, etc.

I know there is already a category in DC for rubs and sauces. But this thread is an inclusive thread for everyone's favorite, all in an easy to find place.

I will start with a simple, multi-purpose dry rub that works on most meats, including venison, chicken, turkey, rabit, beef, pork, and lamb. Here goes.

Chief's All Purpose Dry Rub

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper3 tbs. salt
4 tbs. mild chili powder
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbs. granulated garlic powder
2 tbs. granulated onion powder
1 tbs. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder

Combine everything and massage into the eat. This dry rub mixture is also great when added to 1/2 cup of flour for a breading.

Chief's Pork Dry Rub:
3 tbs. salt
4 tbs. mild chili powder
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbs. granulated garlic powder
2 tbs. granulated onion powder
1 tbs. rubbed sage
1 tbs. black pepper
1/2 tsp. Mesqute flavor Liquid Smoke

That's my start. Please share your favorite dry rubs.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

CWS' Venison dry rub

No measurements...sorry

Dried cedar branches (striped off the branch--"leaves" only)
dry juniper berries
dry rosemary
a mix of pepper corns - black, white, green, pink
granulated garlic
granulated onion
Kosher salt

Go easy on the cedar if you plan to keep it--the oil in the cedar does overpower it over time.

I dry roast the peppercorns Whirl everything in the spice blender except the salt. Add the salt to the rest of the blend. If you wish, add a bit of raw or brown sugar.

I have used this on venison and salmon. It is my "go-to" Scandinavian rub.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Wannabe TV Chef

Chief, I make up a large portion of my own rubs, that I also use for grilling and roasting in the oven on all matters of food

For Christmas this year, I made up some of my faves for her and put them up in those cute "quilted" tiny Mason jars.
She wasn't impressed, but it was the thought that counts, right?
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Ms. Mofet's Dry Rub

Click image for larger version

Name:	dry_rub_070318_IMG_4440.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	38537
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Chili powder(2 kinds)
Curry powder
Garlic powder
Black pepper
Smoked paprika
Cayenne
Cumin
Thyme
Sage
Parsley

The first four listed are the major, then after is the minor.

Brown sugar is a creature of its own and shows up from never to a couple times. Anything I brine has at least a basic mixture of equal parts brown sugar and salt. If I'm smoking meat, many times I'll pull from the brine, then dry it off and put on the rub and let it sit on the counter for 30-40 minutes. Then right before going in the smoker, I cover with brown sugar.

If I'm grilling the meat, I may put some brown sugar in the rub if I'm grilling slow, upper rack type stuff.
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Master Chef

I used to use Emeril's Essence, but now I have moved on to Nick Stelino's Magic Rub, consisting of equal amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and brown sugar. I also like to toss in a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes, in the true Sicilian style.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I used to use Emeril's Essence, but now I have moved on to Nick Stelino's Magic Rub, consisting of equal amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and brown sugar. I also like to toss in a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes, in the true Sicilian style.
Looks tasty!

I urge you to create your own rub from everyday available seasoning. If you really love that seasoning, then do everything you can to reproduce it w out using any pre-mix.

Two things I have issues w prepackaged seasoning. 1, Ton of salt in the mix usually. 2. I'm dependant on that seasoning if it's part of my recipe. I don't like that when it comes to seasoning. If one store is out of oregano, another store has it. Out of Emeril's essence, I'm SOL.
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I am going to quote something out of one of my cookbooks, just remember, it is not me!!

"A certain TV chef took an age old Southern recipe for spices and called it his "essence", when really it's been around forever as plain old Creole or Cajun seasoning."

2 TB paprika
2 TB cayenne pepper
2 TB garlic powder
1 TB onion powder
1 TB dried oregano
1 TB dried thyme
1 tsp. black pepper

As far as I can tell, the only thing not in this recipe but is in "essence" is salt.
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
I am going to quote something out of one of my cookbooks, just remember, it is not me!!

"A certain TV chef took an age old Southern recipe for spices and called it his "essence", when really it's been around forever as plain old Creole or Cajun seasoning."

2 TB paprika
2 TB cayenne pepper
2 TB garlic powder
1 TB onion powder
1 TB dried oregano
1 TB dried thyme
1 tsp. black pepper

As far as I can tell, the only thing not in this recipe but is in "essence" is salt.
I too use the word essence, in one of the cookbooks I wrote. I use is as an adjective, a descriptor, not a noun, i..e. Essence Soups. The idea is that they are a thin broth, with the rich flavor of whatever broth, I am making. Of course this has nothing to do with dry rubs, but...

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Looks tasty!

I urge you to create your own rub from everyday available seasoning. If you really love that seasoning, then do everything you can to reproduce it w out using any pre-mix.

Two things I have issues w prepackaged seasoning. 1, Ton of salt in the mix usually. 2. I'm dependant on that seasoning if it's part of my recipe. I don't like that when it comes to seasoning. If one store is out of oregano, another store has it. Out of Emeril's essence, I'm SOL.
I don't think it is a premixed rub that one just buys. https://www.nickstellino.com/recipe/nicks-magic-rub/
Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Looks tasty!

You can buy it for convenience, or you can make it yourself. The recipe has been online for years. And of course, you can reduce or eliminate the salt if you want.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ssence-3645101

Tags
dry rub, other