Dishwashing Indoor Gas Grill Grates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
i have what i believe to be porceline grates...they have a kinda shiny finish to them.

well..at least the did...now they are covered in gook and grease?

can i just toss them in the dishwasher?

are you talking about grates used on the stovetop or what?

I would probably hand wash them at least the first coupla times, but maybe the dishwasher wouldn't harm them.

I wouldn't. Whatever's uinder the porcelain is subject to rust.

I have them on my gas grill and just crank the grill up to max. and the food remains incinerate just like in a self-cleaning oven. Then I can brush it off with a brass bristle grill brush.

Putting them in your oven for the self-cleaning cycle would clean them too, but I'm not sure they would survive the much higher heat.

Mugsy, don't bother with the dishwasher. Put them in a plastic trash bag and spray them really, really good with oven cleaner (like Easy-Off). Seal the bag and let them sit overnight. The next day, you should be able to wash off all the crud very, very easily. I do this all the time with the porcelain-coated grates for my gas stovetop and my steel oven racks.

Katie E said:
Mugsy, don't bother with the dishwasher. Put them in a plastic trash bag and spray them really, really good with oven cleaner (like Easy-Off). Seal the bag and let them sit overnight. The next day, you should be able to wash off all the crud very, very easily. I do this all the time with the porcelain-coated grates for my gas stove top and my steel oven racks.

Katie - The standard plastic black trash bag actually doesn't melt or add chemicals to the grates (in my case I'm cheap and have standard chrome grates for a charcoal grill and a separate smoker)? That would bee pretty neat if I could clean the grates to near new cleanliness.

Thanks!

Casper

Casper, the oven cleaner won't harm the grates, racks, etc. or the trash bag. I've been doing this for years. It's the laziest and most effective way of cleaning grates, drip pans and racks that I've ever found.

thanks for the heads up katie...will try that in the morning!

lazy but effective tricks rock!!

Back
Top Bottom