Food processor and cake making . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venson

Assistant Cook

Hi,

I've had to move to a new place and space is at the minimum in the kitchen. I know there are differences brand to brand but is it possible to get away with making good cake in a food processor?

Some have attachments for whipping egg white and, if not I could always buy an inexpensive hand mixer. Creaming butter and sugar could be done in the processor's work bowl. Also, I am assuming a 14-cup processor can handle making pound cakes -- one at a time of course.

Last of all are there bread recipes that can be done in the processor without a lot of hand kneading? I haven't a lot of room for working dough by hand.

Thanks,

Venson

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my food processors almost every day but I would never think to use them for making a cake.

I've never seen a whip attachment for a food processor, nor a dough hook. You can make pastry dough very easily in a fp, but not bread dough.

I made red velvet cupcakes yesterday using my food processor. And I always make Toll House cookies in it...have to halve the recipe but that's easy.

I've often wondered why more people don't make cookies in a processor...it's so fast and easy.

Cheers - Dori

Cuisinart made a whisk attachment for their 11 and 14 cup food processors. I tried one and it did not thrill me, but I think you could make cake batter in a food processor. I have tried pastry in a food processor. The pill was too fine. I am fortunate to have enough room for an 11 cup food processor and a stand mixer, and use both. I was lucky enough recently to score a pastry knife for my mixer, and it does a perfect job of cutting chilled shortening into flour. If I were a baker, mostly, I would probably opt for a countertop mixer and a mandoline, which I got by on for quite some time.

My own preference would be to keep the mixer instead of the food processor.

Cooking for one or two, I can perform most slicing and chopping tasks faster with a good knife. Dragging out the food processor, then cleaning it afterward is a lot more work than just chopping an onion with a knife. I don't use either my FP or my blender much anymore. I have a stick blender which doesn't take up much space. For the most part, it easily replaces both the food processor and the blender.

On the other hand, a food processor will never give you proper lift when whipping egg whites or creaming butter & sugar. You need to incorporate a lot of air, not just cut them together. It's fine for bread; may work on some cookie doughs, but batters are a different story.

Back
Top Bottom