Ceramic glass burners and pots/Opinions on this cookware (MERGED)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
Do those ceramic glass/smooth surface electric ranges work with pots/pans made of any material?

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that come with the stove top!!! It's best to do this before you purchase it .... but if you've already bought it then the instructions will tell you what you can and can not use to keep from voiding your warranty.

Like bowlingshirt said - induction stovetops require magnetic metals.

But, other glass/ceramic tops have other restrictions, too - some warn against using cast iron or has a pot size limit due to the weight, and some have restrictions on the surface of the bottom of the pot (it must be perfectly flat - so those double-burner reversable grill/griddles and some cast iron are out).

We bought a house that had them, no instructions or any advice was availalble. We have always had a, well, eclectic cooking set and we just used it.

Things worked OK, sorta, but we really hated cooking on those burners so we went out and purchased the regular burners. Don't know exactly the name for them but they are the ones with the black circuoar heating elements. When we sold the place we put in the sexy ceramiic ones but left other elements in the drawer.

Maybe we had a poor product and others are fantastic. And maybe we did not know what we were doing - that is not unknown.

The only advice I can give is that for folks who have them and are unhappy with them, you may be able to purchase the good old circular iron replacements. The ones we had just required pulling one out and plugging the other in, no difficult task.

Just our 2 pennies worth.

Opinions on this cookware

My grandmother is buying her daughter (my aunt) some non-stick cookware for Christmas. She's looking for something simple since my aunt doesn't do much cooking, she doesn't even know how to cook. My aunt had mentioned that she'd like some non-stick pots with lids.

We were thinking about these:
Tramontina 7-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set - Wal-Mart
Tramontina 8-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set, Black - Wal-Mart
Tramontina 8-Piece Lock 'n Drain Cookware Set - Wal-Mart
Farberware 12-Piece Cookware Set, Black - Wal-Mart

Any opinions?

My grandmother is most likely going to want to get the cookware from Walmart and doesn't want to spend more than $50 for it.

I was wondering because my grandmother was going to buy her daughter (my aunt) some pots and pans for Christmas. My aunt just got a new range and my grandmother and I aren't familiar with that kind (ceramic glass). We didn't want to ask my aunt what can be used with it because we thought we might tip her off as to what she's getting for Christmas.

I don't know what kind of material the pots will be made of.

I made another thread about the cookware we're considering getting. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/opinions-cookware-39811.html

I don't know the quality of these products as we don't have Walmart over here but I personally like the glass lids, they are very handy (just got a set at Christmas) and I also favour having two frypans. The lock and drain seems a bit pointless to me as it isn't difficult to just use the normal pan lids to drain a pot anyway. And for those fiddly foods, there is always a strainer or colander.

The second set looked the most appealling to me. The 12-piece set seemed a little bit big. Give your aunt some room to buy extra pieces as her skill base grows.

You don't mention how many people your aunt is cooking for. If she is on her own or in a couple, small sets are adequate for the new cook. If she has a larger family, then you may need to go to a set with larger pieces.

why not just phone walmart and ask them, or go there in person if it is close enough? It's their product. They should be able to look at the box and give you more info.

I have one Tramontina piece and it works well. It is different from these. There is little information about the materials used so its difficult to judge the quality.

Do you have a Costco nearby? they have good quality sets for little money.

Tramontina is very good stuff..they may make some lower quality things too.
I have the tri ply set they made for Sams and it is exactly like All clad. They make commercial and home use products. Also alot of restaurant supplies. If you can afford it and want good nonstick.They have a set just like Calphon (sp?) at Sams..a 15 piece set for 149.00. I like the metal handles so you can put them in the oven at higher temps. Also like the metal lids cause I'm afarid I might break a glass lid.
Just check out the cookware..see how handles are attached, how thick they are,,etc before you buy them.

edit...Oh..lol..just read your last line about your Grandmother and the spending limit..

Last edited:
Tramotina is a low end comercial brend, I have couple of their frying pans, the comercial ones. They work fine. I like them, how ever what you have there in the picture and the price doesn't look promising. $18 bucks for 7-Piece set, how good can it possibly be?

But, other glass/ceramic tops have other restrictions, too - some warn against using cast iron or has a pot size limit due to the weight, and some have restrictions on the surface of the bottom of the pot (it must be perfectly flat - so those double-burner reversable grill/griddles and some cast iron are out).

I cook with a skillet that isn't perfectly flat (ridges) and it works fine.

My grandmother is buying her daughter (my aunt) some non-stick cookware for Christmas. She's looking for something simple since my aunt doesn't do much cooking, she doesn't even know how to cook. My aunt had mentioned that she'd like some non-stick pots with lids.

We were thinking about these:
Tramontina 7-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set - Wal-Mart
Tramontina 8-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set, Black - Wal-Mart
Tramontina 8-Piece Lock 'n Drain Cookware Set - Wal-Mart
Farberware 12-Piece Cookware Set, Black - Wal-Mart

Any opinions?

My grandmother is most likely going to want to get the cookware from Walmart and doesn't want to spend more than $50 for it.

I got a set of Farberware cookware for a wedding present in 1984 and I still use some of it. I haven't used the skillet since I got my All-Clad saute pan, but I use the saucepans. It's not great quality, but if your aunt doesn't cook much, it will hold up for a long time.

Do you know why she doesn't cook much? If she doesn't enjoy it, then an inexpensive set will do fine. If she just doesn't know how, then a better quality set will be more enjoyable to work with for learning.

I used to sell cookware when I was a baby:neutral: @ Gemco. Knowing the brands have changed over the years, I don't know this first brand at all. My MIL has used Farberware all her life with much success. Her's is the old version, not nonstick, but their product has always proven to be a decent one. I have 4 of their electric skillets, yea, 4. I love them and think everyone should have at least one of them. Beats the heck out of using an oven on a hot day, but don't know if they're even for sale anymore:huh:

I used to sell cookware when I was a baby:neutral: @ Gemco.

Speaking of which, I still have my Gemco card. Is it worth anything more than the dollar I paid for it, which they offered to return to me when they went Tango Uniform?

Until recently (say 6 years or so) I still had the Zenith console television I bought there. It had a remote that worked with a tuning fork!

Back
Top Bottom