"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Huge Bargain

In case you nave a specific need...

I was in Costco yesterday and saw a tri-ply stainless Tramontina 5-quart sauté pan for $30.00!!!

This is a huge bargain. I have Tramontina pieces and they perform well.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,686
I did have a need for a non stick pan. Fell asleep and overheated my last one. Burnt the finish off but did not light the house on fire!
So, I went to a restaurant supply store and found, 2, to my liking. One was $25.00 and one was $50.00. The cheaper one was made in china, the $50.00 was made in USA. I did not even think about the price! Anyway, you know which one I have now!
I made crapes with raspberry's and orange sauce, flambe, To test it out, did not burn it!
Sorry, but nothing from china for me!
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I did have a need for a non stick pan. Fell asleep and overheated my last one. Burnt the finish off but did not light the house on fire!
So, I went to a restaurant supply store and found, 2, to my liking. One was $25.00 and one was $50.00. The cheaper one was made in china, the $50.00 was made in USA. I did not even think about the price! Anyway, you know which one I have now!
I made crapes with raspberry's and orange sauce, flambe, To test it out, did not burn it!
Sorry, but nothing from china for me!

I understand. The pan I listed was made in Brazil.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: nyc
Posts: 53
5 quarts is a handy sizde
Breathing Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,127
Tramontina tri-ply clad pans are awesome quality for the money. Probably some of the best bang for the buck. I have a tri-ply clad skillet from them and it's pretty much flawless.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

https://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,551
I'm making a Costco run next week. I'll check it out, thanks Andy.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,357
I went to Costco yesterday and spotted that pan. It looks really nice and seems to be a wonderful size. Not knowing much about it, I passed on it. Perhaps I will revisit. Thanks for the tip!
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Sprout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Usa, Michigan
Posts: 558
Thanks for the tip! I'm in the market for a new saute' pan. I'll check it out next time I'm in. Do you happen to have a rough estimate of the pan circumferance?
__________________
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'm in the market for a new saute' pan. I'll check it out next time I'm in. Do you happen to have a rough estimate of the pan circumferance?

It's about 12" in diameter so about 37"-38" in circumference.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,364
C = 2pi X r
So, 2 X 3.146 X 12 = 18.876" = Circumference .

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
C = 2pi X r
So, 2 X 3.146 X 12 = 18.876" = Circumference .

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sorry, No.

Circumference=3.14xD Pi times the diameter

Area=3.14 x radius squared.


ALSO: your calculation is wrong.

2 X 3.146 X 12 = 18.876" = Circumference

2x3.14x12=75.36

ALSO: your number for Pi is incorrect.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,494
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Andy just saved me typing out all of that explanation of what was wrong with the Chief's calculations. Well, there's also the fact that it's the diameter that is 12", not the radius.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I went to Costco yesterday and spotted that pan. It looks really nice and seems to be a wonderful size. Not knowing much about it, I passed on it. Perhaps I will revisit. Thanks for the tip!

Bargain? That is a downright steal! I received a Cusinart 5 Qt. as a gift and she paid $59.00. It is great for making a family size frittata. It is great for making any family meal.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Andy just saved me typing out all of that explanation of what was wrong with the Chief's calculations. Well, there's also the fact that it's the diameter that is 12", not the radius.
Ok, now you've done it. I'm all red-faced. It's been 20 years since I've been in a schoolroom, and that was just before getting my engineering degree. I guess it's true what they say, use it or lose it. Keeping a phone system running doesn't require much math. It's a whole different skill set.

So I guess I'll go design an op-amp that will keep a rocket on course to the next habitable planet over the course of 250 years of 1.5 g accelleration. Impossible you say? Nothing can go faster than the speed of light, you say? Well, go ahead then. Prove it.

Yeh, I need another nap.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,494
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ok, now you've done it. I'm all red-faced. It's been 20 years since I've been in a schoolroom, and that was just before getting my engineering degree. I guess it's true what they say, use it or lose it. Keeping a phone system running doesn't require much math. It's a whole different skill set.

So I guess I'll go design an op-amp that will keep a rocket on course to the next habitable planet over the course of 250 years of 1.5 g accelleration. Impossible you say? Nothing can go faster than the speed of light, you say? Well, go ahead then. Prove it.

Yeh, I need another nap.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I was surprised. I guess you were tired.
NASA is looking at the possibility of a warp drive! You don't travel through space at faster than light. You warp space so the bit in front of you is much smaller and the bit behind you is much bigger. Engage warp drive! Nasa reveals latest designs for a Star Trek-style spacecraft that could make interstellar travel a reality | Mail Online
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was surprised. I guess you were tired.
NASA is looking at the possibility of a warp drive! You don't travel through space at faster than light. You warp space so the bit in front of you is much smaller and the bit behind you is much bigger. Engage warp drive! Nasa reveals latest designs for a Star Trek-style spacecraft that could make interstellar travel a reality | Mail Online
I wonder if it's something like traveling in a straight line through the curvature of space.

Folding space (Dune), warped drive (StarTrek), worm holes (Stargate), all part of the world of science fiction. I'm wondering about the "faith" angle myself, and kind of looking forward to knowing if my beliefs are correct. I'm sticking with them though, for life (and hopefully, the afterlife).

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,364
I think we're off-topic again.


Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I think we're off-topic again.


Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North


So knock it off!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.