Is the green side of scrub sponge bad for plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I wasn't aware and always used the green side of a scrub sponge to clean my dishes until I got to know that the green side (scouring side) could scratch plastic and bad for health.

I have a lot of plastic food containers and dishes, they were mostly cleaned with the scouring side, I cannot see obvious deep scratches but they are mostly
fine scratches that you can find when you look closely.

Are they still safe to use? Or are those information on web just exaggerating or paranoid something....

a little bit of both - as with everything you hear, research and salt it.

Scratches are bad only in they can trap whatever you're afraid of.

Good soap, good rinse, squeaky clean should be and is (IMHO) perfectly fine.
If they feel squeaky clean between your fingers - you're good to go.

Now if you are doing a scientific study where purity is a necessity - than no.

Edit:
On the other hand, do not use a knife or sharp utensil in any of your plastic containers, you would be scoring far deeper than any scrubby. Not quite understanding why you would need to use a scrubby on your plastic containers, you are not heating in them are you? That I cannot recommend.

Last edited:
I once used the green side of the sponge on the windshield of my truck.
That was 10 years ago. The fine, annoying scratches are evident as of today.
Big mistake.

Note: My wife warned me.

Roll_Bones:- just a reminder

Attachments

• rules.jpg
    rules.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,115
That green "Scotch Brite" has silicon carbide in it, so it will scratch just about anything in your kitchen. Dulled plastic isn't dangerous, any more than dulled glass or metal, just a little unappealing.

Something like this, Katie H?
Crocheted dish scrubber. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A lady I know out in MO makes me these! We met on a gardening forum many years ago, and we were seed trading, and started trading other things. She says that she makes those by twisting the mesh net into sort of strings, and crocheting them.

Something like this, Katie H?
Crocheted dish scrubber. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A lady I know out in MO makes me these! We met on a gardening forum many years ago, and we were seed trading, and started trading other things. She says that she makes those by twisting the mesh net into sort of strings, and crocheting them.

Exactly. I just use the net I have.

Roll_Bones:- just a reminder

While not true, it is funny! ;)

Not sure about any of this but I use "scrubbies" I make using crocheted nylon net things.

Scotch Brite pads scratch. But Calphalon recommends Scotch Brite pads for their anodized aluminum line.
At least they did 25 years ago when I bought them.

Scotch Brite works well for certain things. Not so well for others (see windshield above)

Scotchbrite is a brand name that covers more than one product.

The green scouring pad or the green pad/yellow sponge combo is NOT SAFE for non-stick. It will damage metal finishes! Think Brillo pad or SOS pad.

green.png

The blue sponge/scouring pad is safe for non-stick. I use this for 99.99% of my cleaning needs. On occasion, when I finally decide to try to clean up my sheet pans a bit, I go with the green pad.

blue.png

Back
Top Bottom