What is going on with the price of canned mushrooms???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about the dried mushrooms. I tried them once, years ago, and they were rubbery. Didn't like the texture.
I don’t care for the flabby texture of the large slices either.

I run through them with a chef’s knife before rehydrating them so they shatter into small pieces and powder.

The mushrooms disappear into whatever I’m making but add a great deal of flavor to soups and sauces.

I don’t care for the flabby texture of the large slices either.

I run through them with a chef’s knife before rehydrating them so they shatter into small pieces and powder.

The mushrooms disappear into whatever I’m making but add a great deal of flavor to soups and sauces.
That's a great idea.

Whole Foods here sometimes carries fresh tree ear/wood ear mushrooms
I'll look if I ever get there again, but I don't go to Whole Foods much. Mostly because I can't afford it. I can barely afford Kroger anymore.

Heck with the cost of mushrooms. The cost of everything is ridiculous. The only thing that seems to have come back down to 'normal' pricing is eggs. Everything else has stayed elevated. And I have my doubts that they'll ever come back down again. I think stores/manufacturers are now charging people out the wazoo for everything simply because they can. I mean, come on.... $5 for a bag of potato chips??? Or a bag of Doritos??? I've seen it as high as $5.79 for a 12 oz. bag that used to be 16 oz. The "party size" is now down to what the normal large bag used to be.

"Less for more" seems to be the running standard now. And it :excl: me off. :mad:

Has anyone tried frozen mushrooms? I have seen bags of sliced frozen mushrooms, but have never tried them. I generally buy fresh mushrooms and also keep a bag of dried porcini in the cupboard for when I need a serious mushroom hit of flavour. (I do find they often contain a bit of grit though, which is fairly annoying - I end up reconstituting them and then running the pieces under the tap, which takes ages). I then pour the "liquor" through a couple of layers of kitchen roll to sieve out the grit from that. (Losing half the liquid in the process.) Honestly, if it wasn't for the terrific flavour, I would think it was nuts! But I hate the grit, so.. :ermm:

Has anyone tried frozen mushrooms? I have seen bags of sliced frozen mushrooms, but have never tried them. I generally buy fresh mushrooms and also keep a bag of dried porcini in the cupboard for when I need a serious mushroom hit of flavour. (I do find they often contain a bit of grit though, which is fairly annoying - I end up reconstituting them and then running the pieces under the tap, which takes ages). I then pour the "liquor" through a couple of layers of kitchen roll to sieve out the grit from that. (Losing half the liquid in the process.) Honestly, if it wasn't for the terrific flavour, I would think it was nuts! But I hate the grit, so.. :ermm:
I have tried them. They're spongey, rubbery little pieces of gross.

I once found at the grocers some frozen whole fried mushrooms. Just beside the frozen fried onion rings.
I bought them and thought they were great. Some of the larger ones seem to retain a lot of moisture/water - so had to be careful not to burn your mouth. I believe they were successful only because they were probably flash frozen - a process not readily available to home.
I only bought them a couple of times - and not have not seen them for quite a while. Guess they weren't successful to others.

I once found at the grocers some frozen whole fried mushrooms. Just beside the frozen fried onion rings.
I bought them and thought they were great. Some of the larger ones seem to retain a lot of moisture/water - so had to be careful not to burn your mouth. I believe they were successful only because they were probably flash frozen - a process not readily available to home.
I only bought them a couple of times - and not have not seen them for quite a while. Guess they weren't successful to others.
I looooooooooooooooooove deep-fried mushrooms. We have a diner near us that we visit frequently (my son and I meet my cousin and her husband for lunch now and again) and they have the best dang fried mushrooms I've ever eaten. Regardless of what I order for my meal, I always get the fried mushrooms on the side.

I have a pack of fresh whole mushrooms in my fridge. I include them in my vegetable tempura whenever I have it.

Fresh porcinis freeze well, but they are a LOT denser than other mushrooms. You do have to cut them while they are still icy. You can't dry fry them but they are fine in a dish. I have about 1/3 of a 2 pound bag left in the freezer.

I don't know why anybody is surprised by prices. Really? Don't you go to store? Look at anything and everything. Prices are doubled or tripled. And if the price is the same, look at the size of the container, it is way smaller. I do not know how media reports no inflation. Medical insurance premiums this year went up 8.5%. My salary only went up 2.5%. I do not know who to keep up anymore. We only spend money on absolute necessities.

I don't know why anybody is surprised by prices. Really? Don't you go to store? Look at anything and everything. Prices are doubled or tripled. And if the price is the same, look at the size of the container, it is way smaller. I do not know how media reports no inflation. Medical insurance premiums this year went up 8.5%. My salary only went up 2.5%. I do not know who to keep up anymore. We only spend money on absolute necessities.
Ummm, yes? That's where I buy mushrooms. :unsure:

I too only spend money on absolute necessities and I'm still going broke. My savings account is slowly disappearing while my credit card balances are going up. I try to pay them way down or completely off before I use them again, but there are times I have no choice until I get my next paycheck.

It's beyond stupid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom