What is going on with the price of canned mushrooms???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
In most of my cooking, I prefer fresh mushrooms. But I sometimes buy the canned type for certain dishes and was shocked at the prices. I mostly buy the small 4 oz cans and they used to be around 79 cents to 99 cents, if that. But now even the store brand canned mushrooms - for 4 measly ounces - are $1.99 each. I was like "Whaaaaat... ?"

Does anyone know WHY they're so expensive now? I know most everything is more expensive these days, but I never expected a 4 oz can of mushrooms to cost $2.

:blink:

Hmm. I buy canned mushrooms infrequently; when I want mushrooms I usually buy fresh. The fresh mushrooms have gotten to typically be about $4.00 a pound, which is a good deal more than a year or two ago. I haven't noticed the price of canned mushrooms going crazy, though.

Just checked: my local store (Woodman's, kind of a grocery warehouse) has Pennsylvania Dutchman 4 oz can for $1.49.

4 years ago we could get mushrooms canned in 8 oz cans for 89 cents at woodman's (wisconsin area). Then they went up and all the other mushrooms were higher priced. So when we see mushrooms for $1/8 ounces on sale we canned them. We never see them less expensive than $1/8 ounces or $2/lb. Last time I saw it was at aldi's about a month ago. We only see that sale about once a year maybe twice.

We still see reduced produce at woodman's, mushrooms that are already washed and sliced but about to go bad, we buy them and cook them that day and use them often. They are $2/lb. Once they are gone or if you don't go mornings during the week days, you'll never see them.

Hmm. I buy canned mushrooms infrequently; when I want mushrooms I usually buy fresh. The fresh mushrooms have gotten to typically be about $4.00 a pound, which is a good deal more than a year or two ago. I haven't noticed the price of canned mushrooms going crazy, though.

Just checked: my local store (Woodman's, kind of a grocery warehouse) has Pennsylvania Dutchman 4 oz can for $1.49.
The Kroger store I shop at doesn't carry that brand anymore, which is the brand I would normally buy. Not that it matters because the Pennsylvania Dutchman brand, before they disappeared from the shelves, was something like $2.09 a can.

4 years ago we could get mushrooms canned in 8 oz cans for 89 cents at woodman's (wisconsin area). Then they went up and all the other mushrooms were higher priced. So when we see mushrooms for $1/8 ounces on sale we canned them. We never see them less expensive than $1/8 ounces or $2/lb. Last time I saw it was at aldi's about a month ago. We only see that sale about once a year maybe twice.

We still see reduced produce at woodman's, mushrooms that are already washed and sliced but about to go bad, we buy them and cook them that day and use them often. They are $2/lb. Once they are gone or if you don't go mornings during the week days, you'll never see them.
I've done that before, purchasing mushrooms that are reduced for quick sale.

I'll have to check Aldi for canned mushroom prices. Again, I don't use them often. But I like keeping them around just to have them.

IMO it has more to do with the price of the tin plate used to make cans than the contents of the cans.

This year there has been a bit of a trade war in the tin plate business with talk of higher tariffs on imported tin plate.

I used to buy canned mushroom stems and pieces when they were forty nine or fifty nine cents for four ounces and toss them into all sorts of recipes.

Now fresh baby Bella mushrooms have become a better value for me.

I also keep a jar of generic dried mushrooms from the local Polish specialty store. They are a little pricey to buy but one jar lasts me for two or three years. A small amount of dried mushroom ‘tea’, mushroom powder or minced dried mushroom adds a nice flavor to many dishes and are as convenient as the canned stems and pieces.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the canning industry gradually invests in new equipment to preserve foods in pouches but I doubt that the prices will ever come down.

As more and more people fight for higher wages prices will continue to rise to support those higher wages.

I’m thankful that I’m able to reallocate my resources and absorb the increased costs for what little I buy.

“Invest in inflation. It’s the only thing going up.” - Will Rogers

Last edited:
I quit buying or eating canned mushrooms shortly I left my mother's house and discovered fresh mushrooms. The taste and texture of canned turn me off and I'd rather do without than have canned. I've learned the hard way to ask if mushrooms served with burgers or omelettes are canned or fresh when eating out.

I would say 90% of the time I use fresh mushrooms. But I also like to keep a couple of cans around for various things. I like both the taste and texture of canned mushrooms - opposites to medtran!

Last year they had mushrooms on sale and I bought quite a bit. Dehydrated them, (some of which I powdered). But I've found I'm not particularly impressed with them when I add them to soups, etc. I neither care for the texture nor flavour. It's not bad but not impressive.

I have rehydrated commercial mushrooms - you know the really expensive 2 or 3 oz. ones. They work fine - I like them but way too expensive. I've also used dried Shitake and Black Fungus ones can get at the Asian markets - they work beautifully!
I just don't get why I don't like mine!

I grind up dried porcinis and use them to flavor pasta dough and in mushroom centric dishes. I think you have to use the powder in moderation in dishes though because it will give a dry taste if you use too much.

We buy dried porcini in bulk from either the restaurant supply place or a company that provisions yachts. That brings the price down considerably, though they are still expensive. They last a long time.

Last edited:
Great idea for the pasta. Might try it with my rice again. the whole pieces with the rice just did NOT enhance, but maybe the powder would. On my list. Thanks medtran.

If you bought 16 oz dried shiitakes, they have a 13% moisture amount, when you further dehydrate them so they will crush and shatter, you have 13.92 oz dried veg solids of mushroom. When you reconstitute it with 20 cups of water, you will get 10.875 lbs of reconstituted~fresh mushrooms. So they are 19.99 for 1 lb dried which is about equal to $2/lb for fresh.

Great idea for the pasta. Might try it with my rice again. the whole pieces with the rice just did NOT enhance, but maybe the powder would. On my list. Thanks medtran.
When I make mushroom risotto, I use reconstituted porcini, as well as fresh mushroons. You have to dice the reconstituted porcini, otherwise the texture is off putting. I also use the filtered mushroom liquid as part of the liquid for the risotto. There is a lot of flavor left.

Bought the Black Fungus several years ago - (they weren't what I had been looking for so have rarely used them). At the same time and same size package I got some shiitake which I used a lot. Need to go back to the Asian market for more. Back then I believe I paid about $2.00 each. (approx. $6.00 a lb)

Probably more $ now I guess. Still at 150 grams (5 oz) compared to the 14 grams (0.5 oz)of the others pictured at old price of $3.99. They are now $5.50 and the Ponderosa website lists them at $6.50.

So if I take the $5.50 for 1/2 oz. and double to 1 lb. = $11 per oz = (16 x 11) $176.00 per lb of dried mushrooms.

20230924_145844.jpg

I think what you are calling black fungus is the same thing I call tree ear mushroons. They expand tremendously when reconstituted? I use those in hot and sour soup, as well as dried shiitakes. We need to make that just as soon as it cools down a little more.
2020-09-17 18.41.56.jpg

Yes, I believe they are also called that. Huge and on the tender but rubbery side. If I chop them super fine I like them, but bigger pieces, well... not so much.

Yes, I believe they are also called that. Huge and on the tender but rubbery side. If I chop them super fine I like them, but bigger pieces, well... not so much.
Do you cut out and discard the hard nubbin? You should if not.

Don't remember - that's how long it's been since I've used them. But probably. I think I would have noticed them once rehydrated.
Have to look up some recipes with fall on us. Time for mixed dishes.

I don't know about the dried mushrooms. I tried them once, years ago, and they were rubbery. Didn't like the texture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom