Victim #4!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, you have to be careful. I think some slips are inevitable; humans make mistakes. I spend so much time with a knife in my hand that the law of averages pretty much guarentees I'll get bit occasionally. Just last nite I got a pretty good nick/scratch from my 8" Wusthof chef knife. I was putting my knives all back in the case at the end of my shift and absent mindedly grabbed it by the blade guard to push it into the pocket; turns out the guard was a bit "sprung" and slipped off and I ran my middle finger along the edge. Not much, just a very light brush but I keep all my knives so sharp that the skin just melted. I barely felt it but there was quite a bit of blood (I'm a real bleeder, and nick and I spurt!:LOL:).

:) I'm a major bleeder as well. You can also get fish cleaning gloves that help from the fishing section at most sporting goods stores. I cut myself more by bumping into knive when it's laying on the cutting board.

:) I'm a major bleeder as well. You can also get fish cleaning gloves that help from the fishing section at most sporting goods stores. I cut myself more by bumping into knive when it's laying on the cutting board.

how do you "bump" into a knife???????? are you by yourself when this happens?????? God, I'd be fingerless by now......:ROFLMAO: Jest kidding JG!!

how do you "bump" into a knife???????? are you by yourself when this happens?????? God, I'd be fingerless by now......:ROFLMAO: Jest kidding JG!!
:LOL: :LOL::LOL: Yup, if the knife is really sharp I sometimes bump it with the side of my hand. That's when I truly know it's sharp. The bleeding thing is really annoying because it's usually when you are trying to pull something together quickly but at the same time trying to not bleed all over the food.

That's it......I'm going to order a pair of those babies.........people over here think that we're spoiled rich Americans anyway.....might as well prolong the illusion......:):):)
I have a pair and use them . sometimes I even put food service gloves over them , so the cut resistant one won't get dirty. They are washable but I prefer the extra clean protection. ;)

I have a knife glove but only use it when using my mandoline because I don't like the guard.

No friggin' doubt! A mandolin has to be the most dangerous appliance in the kitchen, with the possible exception of the slicer. Every time you get bit by it it's always thru the thumbnail or fingernail right into the meat!:mad: The worst gashes I've ever got in the kitchen were on a mandoline.:bash:

ladycook, that's a good idea for keeping the glove clean, I hadn't thought of that!

And I have had more than one customer in the ER for not using the food guard with their mandoline. It's a tough lesson and I catch myself every now and then. My newest one was redesigned and the blade won't even engage unless the guard is on the rail. I understand the safety aspect of it, but felt more efficient with my old one. I am sorta famous for not using the food guard when it comes to carrots and other small pieces.

I darn near lost all five fingers using the julienne blade once. Ouch!

No friggin' doubt! A mandolin has to be the most dangerous appliance in the kitchen, with the possible exception of the slicer. Every time you get bit by it it's always thru the thumbnail or fingernail right into the meat!:mad: The worst gashes I've ever got in the kitchen were on a mandoline.:bash:

do you have to be so graphic, RB???? And for someone who has been there and done that..........my internal muscles have contracted at the memories....:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom