New To Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
IF (and I emphasize IF) it is the "bullet" shaped Brinkman it is excellent for smoking. One load of charcoal (10#) is usually enough for the smoking process. But if you want to add more, you just lift the top 2/3 off, add more charcoal and put it back on.

Gretchen, you are right! I just looked up the user manual at the Brinkmann website. All I have to do is lift the top 2/3 off like you said. I didn't realize that for smoking the lower grate and water pan is suspended in the unit. I also looks like you could "shovel" it in a few briquettes at a time throught he door. But I have seen most reviewers instruct just to lift the top off like you say. Thank you for the advice, your comment inspired me to check it out. This changes everything!

You will enjoy it. A really delicious thing to fix is salmon steaks. Let them smoke for about an hour. They should be rosy inside and will be meltingly delicious.
Fill it up with whole chickens and smoke for one pan's worth. Then finish the chickens in a 400* oven.
Water smoking with that smoker has a bit different effect--the fat does not cook out of chickens and ribs, for example. So when you finish the chickens in the oven, the fat will cook off. They are really really good.

Gretchen said:
You will enjoy it. A really delicious thing to fix is salmon steaks. Let them smoke for about an hour. They should be rosy inside and will be meltingly delicious.
Fill it up with whole chickens and smoke for one pan's worth. Then finish the chickens in a 400* oven.
Water smoking with that smoker has a bit different effect--the fat does not cook out of chickens and ribs, for example. So when you finish the chickens in the oven, the fat will cook off. They are really really good.

How many chickens could I fit in it? I'm thinking 5-6 if they were standing on end with a beer can holder. Thanks for the tips!

The beer can way will make them too tall for 2 racks. I think 4 on their side will be all that will fitt--2 racks.
There really isnt any need to do the beer can thing--the water in the smoker does the same thing--or you can put beer, or cider or wine or anything you want in the water pan.

Gretchen said:
The beer can way will make them too tall for 2 racks. I think 4 on their side will be all that will fitt--2 racks.
There really isnt any need to do the beer can thing--the water in the smoker does the same thing--or you can put beer, or cider or wine or anything you want in the water pan.

I guess 4 chickens would be enough at one time, eh?:chef:

vagriller said:
I guess 4 chickens would be enough at one time, eh?:chef:

It's worth doing that number--or mixing other things in. The real point being that if you are going to the trouble to fire up the smoker and expense of charcoal then load it up.
I often give smoked chickens for Christmas food gifts. I also freeze themwhen I do a lot.

you guys are making me wanna get in on all the fun!!!

but b4 i go running out and dropping $$ on a smoker / grill combo...i gotta ask: can you smoke meats in the winter? also, i have always pw3ned gas grills...since it seems that these must be charcoal, can i grill in the winter as well?? is it a major pain on cold windy nights??

vagriller said:
Gretchen, you are right! I just looked up the user manual at the Brinkmann website. All I have to do is lift the top 2/3 off like you said. I didn't realize that for smoking the lower grate and water pan is suspended in the unit. I also looks like you could "shovel" it in a few briquettes at a time throught he door. But I have seen most reviewers instruct just to lift the top off like you say. Thank you for the advice, your comment inspired me to check it out. This changes everything!

Ok....get it but then get the off set fire box type smoker. It only about 100 bucks. I promise you will use that one more than the Bullet. Thats what I did.

Bangbang said:
Ok....get it but then get the off set fire box type smoker. It only about 100 bucks. I promise you will use that one more than the Bullet. Thats what I did.

I already have mine. I picked it as a 5 year award with my company. I googled offset firebox smoker. Those are way too big for me right now. I'm not into smoking enough yet to get that big of a smoker.

Gretchen said:
It's worth doing that number--or mixing other things in. The real point being that if you are going to the trouble to fire up the smoker and expense of charcoal then load it up.
I often give smoked chickens for Christmas food gifts. I also freeze themwhen I do a lot.

I guess I would see this as a negative. You should cook more than you want that day to justify the expense of running the smoker.

Andy M. said:
I guess I would see this as a negative. You should cook more than you want that day to justify the expense of running the smoker.

It's a negative that you need to load it up to justify the expense? I'm confused.

Sure. If I want to smoke a chicken for my S.O. and myself, I don't want to have to smoke 4 chickens to justify the cost of firing up the beast. For a small family, a smaller unit would be more practical.

vagriller said:
I already have mine. I picked it as a 5 year award with my company. I googled offset firebox smoker. Those are way too big for me right now. I'm not into smoking enough yet to get that big of a smoker.

Have fun. I hope you like it. Do a couple chickens first. Its easy and they come out great.I used apple juice in the water pan.

Bangbang said:
Have fun. I hope you like it. Do a couple chickens first. Its easy and they come out great.I used apple juice in the water pan.

Noted. I will start looking for a sale on whole chickens! Maybe ebay.:LOL:

Andy M. said:
Sure. If I want to smoke a chicken for my S.O. and myself, I don't want to have to smoke 4 chickens to justify the cost of firing up the beast. For a small family, a smaller unit would be more practical.

The one I am talking about is about as small and inexpensive as it gets--about $30. You don't HAVE to do 4, but it is just as convenient to do a couple (1,2,3,4) as it is to do one. It is the same amount of heat. I believe it will take the same amount of charcoal to cook 1 chicken in a Weber as this.
Costco and Sam's sell their chickens 2 to a package, so doing 2 and freezing one is a good thing. You have a meal made ahead.
But,, I really don't mind if you do just one.

Back
Top Bottom