Canning this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey all, I'm new, just found the forums on Google. Glad to be here, this thread was fun - wish it was "busier."

I went nuts (speaking for me, of course) this year with the canning. Had more time than expected at home.

Did 20 pints, 6 quarts of applesauce:
Hn2dti7.jpg

Did 14 quarts of dill pickles, 7 with arbol chilies for some heat:
pXdkiNz.jpg

Did 21 quarts of dilly beans, 7 with no heat, 7 with just a bit of cayenne, 7 really hot:
8PjtjjL.jpg

7 quarts of spicy escabeche:
L7QzSWm.jpg

I processed a bunch of black berries into juice to make jelly, I just don't feel like finishing the process now...so, the juice sits in the freezer until I'm ready :)

I want to do more, but I'm not sure what else to do that I would use. Only water bathing for now...looking at a pressure canner, but as I said, don't think I'd have much use for it.

We plan to can at most tomatoes this year. We already have them produced at our plant.

This recipe we plan to use:
Canning Your Tomatoes To Use Them Out Of Season - Age of Healthy

I heard from some people that on the same we need to add some acid. What do you think?

Cheers.

If you have a reliable PH meter and the ph is at 4.6 or below, then the tomatoes are already low acid enough for water bath canning or pressure canner canning.

If not, to be safe, you can add lemon juice, vinegar, or citric acid in the prescribed amounts per pint or quart. It's probably best to use methods tested by university extensions or national/federal testing sites.
Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products - 9.341 - ExtensionExtension

Although I have ph test strips, and a ph meter, it is a pain in the butt to test and calibrate the meter. I still add the required amount of lemon juice or citric acid, depending on which one I have on hand. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Tis the canning season, again. 10 cans of pickles from the cucumbers yesterday. 7 pints of spicy sweet carrot sticks today. Onward Forward, we go, 1000's of tomatoes on the vine! Any day now I'll be hot and sweaty, canning dozens of cans of tomatoes and ketchup!

I'm going to have A LOT of hatch peppers this year, from seed that one of our members sent me, bless him, you know who you are. And A LOT of green/red/yellow peppers. Usually I chop the peppers and freeze them. If anyone has a good recipe for canning peppers, anyway at all, please share. Thank you in advance.

We did our first canning today, a bunch of pickles. We've been giving away cucumbers and zucchini all week as we can't keep up.

Tomatoes are a little slow this year but there are so many on the vines that when they ripen we'll have to start making salsa and tomato sauce almost right away.

I have ghost peppers this year, they look good too.

Attachments

• 20180722_195803.jpg
    20180722_195803.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 170
GreenEnvy, that looks excellent! I see you are in ON. Do you start with a green house or hoop house? You are so much further north, and yet, at the same place we are with cucumbers and tomatoes and peppers.

We started the tomatoes, peppers, and a few other things inside under a grow light. I don't think we did cucumbers or zucchini though. We planted in early May.

We've been lucky each year so far, planting a couple weeks ahead of the traditional may-24 weekend here and haven't been hit with a frost.

Garden looks really good this year. Grapes look great for wine.

My wife is canning beets today.

Attachments

• 20180723_115735.jpg
    20180723_115735.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 20180723_115700.jpg
    20180723_115700.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 20180723_115839.jpg
    20180723_115839.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 168
a few weeks back I had my first taste of Pickled Okra. I know I am from the South.....anyway it was wonderful. Anyone have a rocking recipe for Pickled Okra?

Southern Ontario is a great growing area. Very fertile soil and hot summers.
Tons of wineries here, peaches, cherries, and lots more.

If we had a couple more months of growing season it would be ideal, but we're usually frost free from mid-May until mid October. It's been over 30 celcius most of the last 4 weeks, so 85-90. With humidity it's been over 100.

GreenEnvy, sounds like such a nice growing season, similar to S Wisconsin, which I love.

I canned (with help or DH), 8 pints of corn taken off the cob. So sweet, yum. We'll probably do another 8 pints tomorrow. I might as well get some of that stuff done before the tomatoes ripen here.

I woke up this morning and DH had 2 dozen corn all shucked and half done with cutting before I even had a cup of coffee. It's so nice to have that help. 8 more pints of corn canned today.

We canned our last batch of corn, I think, I hope. Two batches of sweet pickles. I've got a few cucumbers, 8 green peppers, 1 zucchini, no red tomatoes....not enough to can anything yet.

Today we plan on doing a couple dozen jars of Salsa, some tomatillo salsa verde, pickle our cabbage, and maybe pickle some cauliflower. Will post photos later.

Not canning but about to start jam making.

I bought 7lbs of greengages from my favourite greengrocer yesterday so I'll be making jam tomorrow. (Greengages are a sort of green plum - you may have a different name for them where you are. I can't find my copy of "The Joy of Cooking" but I was once asked by an American lady what the greengages were.)

My front garden is a shambles but a benefit of the chaos is a vast amount of blackberries which combined with the apples off the *trees in my back garden will become blackberry & apple jam. The seeds in the jam are a pain but it isn't the same without the blackberry seeds. Extra roughage for the insides;).

*The trees that survived the machinations of the new next door neighbour who tried to cut them down - yes, my trees on my land!!! He mistakenly picked on the wrong sort of little old lady with a walking stick!!! He won't be getting a jar of my homemade jam this year.

I don't consider making preserves/jellies canning. But i over did it this year. Ran out of jars, had to go buy more. The bing cherries this year was so cheap, I went crazy, I made 12 or was it 13, 600 grams jars. 5 jars of black currant, 3 jars peaches. Finally came to my senses, held myself back and made only 2 jars of sour cherries. Amount I should always make. I still need to make plum jam and raspberry preserve.
Pickling is a bit too early. Cucumbers will coming around end of august and tomatoes are even latter.

I don't consider making preserves/jellies canning. But i over did it this year. Ran out of jars, had to go buy more. The bing cherries this year was so cheap, I went crazy, I made 12 or was it 13, 600 grams jars. 5 jars of black currant, 3 jars peaches. Finally came to my senses, held myself back and made only 2 jars of sour cherries. Amount I should always make. I still need to make plum jam and raspberry preserve.
Pickling is a bit too early. Cucumbers will coming around end of august and tomatoes are even latter.
Wow, Charlie, that was some list!

Yes, I agree about the pickling. I'll be making piccalilly and beetroot chutney again later this year. I usually pickle onions but not until later into the winter.

Home preserves of all sorts (and home-made cakes) are a useful thing to have in hand when you want to say 'Thank you!" to a friend who's done you a favour but you don't want to be embarrassingly O.T.T., (such as the lady who fed my horse when I couldn't get to the stables because of the snow).

Last edited:
...bing cherries this year was so cheap, I went crazy...
No kidding, Charlie! I, too, went crazy with cherries, but I've been freezing them. If I freeze any more, the bags will jump out of the freezer the next time I roll out the drawer. Still, those cherries will taste just like summer when the wind is blowing and the snow is up to my waist. Since they're still selling at $1.99 a pound, I think I'll freeze more...

Back
Top Bottom