Pickled Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I canned it but there is no reason you must can it if you have room in the fridge for it. I have at least 6 small 1 cups jars of it, but we rarely eat it. Thank you for reminding me of it. Maybe I can incorporate it into garlic green beans the next time I make them.

You can use this as the base of a recipe and skip the canning instructions and put the jars in the fridge.

Nice link @blissful !

I would bring vinegar/water to the boil with salt & spices. Then add whole cloves Cover pot and turn off the heat.
I keep pickles in the fridge :)

Nice link @blissful !

I would bring vinegar/water to the boil with salt & spices. Then add whole cloves Cover pot and turn off the heat.
I keep pickles in the fridge :)
looking for recipe of ratio of vinegar to water, how much salt etc. How long do you let it sit after you turn off the heat? Wondering if longer is better.

The sugar is really important. It doesn’t make it really sweet, but just takes the edge off the harsh vinegar. I have always used brown sugar.
Personally, I’m not a huge fan of pickling garlic. To me, it comes far too close to that abhorrent jarred crushed garlic that I wouldn’t gift to someone I loathe.

looking for recipe of ratio of vinegar to water, how much salt etc. How long do you let it sit after you turn off the heat? Wondering if longer is better.
Does longer boiling soften the garlic? Does the garlic have to age after putting in refrig?

Does longer boiling soften the garlic? Does the garlic have to age after putting in refrig?
Yes longer boiling softens it. If you like it crunchy then just put it in the hot brine and leave it in the fridge for at least a few weeks.

Yes longer boiling softens it. If you like it crunchy then just put it in the hot brine and leave it in the fridge for at least a few weeks.
Thank you for answering my questions. Does aging take out the bite or do I need to use more sugar?

Thank you for answering my questions. Does aging take out the bite or do I need to use more sugar?
I ran down and got a jar to eat one and taste. It wasn't 'hot' as in garlic hot. These are canned. I wouldn't add more sugar. It was sweet enough. I followed the recipe and used the sugar listed (I've been shy of using sugar anyways), or less than it called for. I could taste the red pepper hot.
I think the vinegar slowly takes the garlic bite out of it.
garlic-002.jpg

Thank you for all your help. I didn't use as much sugar as the recipe called for so I will add a little more next time. And let it age a couple of weeks

Let us know how you like it after a few weeks and then maybe a month? @MoReese If you found it mild or garlic hot, crunchy or soft and what you felt about the flavor over all sweet/acidic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom