Canning a pre-cooked meal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4food

Cook
I am new to canning, and to prepare for the 2018 season, I have been reading as much as I could from the internet, but in reallity, I have a specific goal for canning.

"Canning pre-made meals".

Is it possible to cook something like a stew and then can it?
If so, how should I go about it?

I am new to canning, and to prepare for the 2018 season, I have been reading as much as I could from the internet, but in reallity, I have a specific goal for canning.

"Canning pre-made meals".

Is it possible to cook something like a stew and then can it?
If so, how should I go about it?

You REALLY need to ask that question of experts, like the Ball people or agricultural extension service professionals. Don't trust random internet sources or message boards.

Canning meat products can have disastrous consequences if not done exactly right. Same with low acid foods.

Freezing is a lot easier

You REALLY need to ask that question of experts, like the Ball people or agricultural extension service professionals. Don't trust random internet sources or message boards.

Canning meat products can have disastrous consequences if not done exactly right. Same with low acid foods.

Freezing is a lot easier
I agree that it's not a good idea to trust random internet search results for something like this. The links I provided are at the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia - it's the primary source of food preservation information from the Cooperative Extension Service.

When I was going canning crazy a couple of years ago, the closest I came to canning a “meal” was to follow a recipe on the Nat’l Food Preservation website to make and pressure-can a base for minestrone. It made for great hostess and Christmas gifts. Be very very careful though, and definitely pay attention to the advice above. Don’t use untested recipes and follow the canning directions and times precisely, or you could be in for a world of hurt!

Back
Top Bottom