Interested to learn more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meathunter

Assistant Cook
Found this forum in a general google search and interested in setting up my own meat curing cabinet, where I can control humidity better.

As an electrical Engineering Technology major, specializing in control systems, I know what you need, and can give you multiple options, depending on your own engineering expertise.
Fist, you can purchase ready made , plug and play units such as this -
https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Humidity-Controller-Intl-Model/dp/

They include the sensors, with outputs to control heating/cooling, and humidifying/dehumidifying. The unit shown says that it is ideal for sausage making. I would think it would be good for much more, such as making cheese, or aging meat.

The other option is to purchase humidity and temperature sensors, and run the outputs to appropriate inputs to a computer, and write a program to monitor the environment in real time, comparing against desired and programmed parameters, and then using the program to activate heating/cooling, and humidifier/dehumidifier units.

You would also need to build a container unit that can be isolated from the elements in such a way so that you can control the the conditions of that chamber.
Either way, this is a doable project. Good luck, and I hope you are able to build what you need.

Seeeeeya; Chief lon-

If you want to DIY this, there is very little programing necessary. You could do it with an inexpensive home automation setup like SmartThings or Hubitat.

The company Wireless Sensor Tags makes some low cost and extremely accurate RF temp/humidity sensors, that can be interfaced with either of the above systems. I know there are already deviceTypes for them available for SmartThings, and creating one for Hubitat based on that source should be pretty simple as well. No computer needed for operation... temp and humidity changes are sent to the hub as events.

Then setting up a couple of home automation rules like:

Code:
on HumidityChange theHumidty
  switch
    case (theHumidty > 50)
      turn off humidifier
      turn on dehumidifier
      exit switch
    case (theHumidty < 25)
      turn off dehumidifier
      turn on humidifier
      exit switch
    case theHumidty
      turn off dehumidifier
      turn off humidifier
      exit switch
  end switch
end HumidityChange

Last edited:
Can you tell I've been out of the fabrication game for a while? I graduated with my B.S EET in 92, Intel 286 computers, with green CRT screens were the next big thing. All commands were done with command line instructions. There was no such thing as GUI. We used Motarola Cjipsets to work with our breadboards to create the circuits and interfaces to the IEEE bus in the 286. We used PLC's or Mrotola Assembly language to write our programs.

My device used two photo-optic cells to turn visible light into electric voltage. They were placed in a light-tight box that had slits formed eual distance from center on either side.. The photo-cells were placed just at the outer shadows, of the light entering the box, through the slits, when a light source was placed perpendicular to the box center. The cells were attached to AtoD converters, and then to the IEEE bus where it was monitored by the program. When one cell or the other produced more light, the program would "see" the difference between the cell outputs and activate a sub-routine to turn the shaft of a stepper motor either clockwise, or counter- clockwise and realign the box so that he light was again centered in the box relative to the light source.It was fun, but very time consuming.

your way sounds easier.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom