Fabada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walt Bulander

Senior Cook
Just tried a meat and bean stew from Spain. Similar to cassoulet, but less fat.
Everyone (me and DW) loved it. Will adapt for entertaining.

I looked over several recipes and adapted them to what I had on hand.

Canned cannelini beans
onions and garlic
cooked chicken
Italian sausage (called for chorizo, but my source went out of business:()
a brat sausage
a little bacon
chicken broth
smoked spanish paprika
bouquet garni (bay leaf, parsley stems, thyme)
parsley
s&p

Does anyone cook this?
Any advice on adjusting ingredients?

Did you cook this in the oven in a casserole dish or dutch oven or on top of the stove? Would like to know amounts of ingredients and steps. For instance, I am assuming that you cooked the bacon before adding it into the mix.

I had clipped a recipe for this dish (Feijoada) but have never made it. Thanks for the reminder.

Lyndalou,

This was a mixture of recipes. I started with Tony Bourdain's Cassoulet (Les Halles Cookbook) way too much fat.
Fabada is the spanish version, so I looked in the New Spanish Table (Von Bremzen) looked good, but I didn't have all the ingredients, notably Spanish chorizo sausage.
Finally I checked Jacques Pepins' "Shortcut Cook" for his take on cassoulet - much easier and quicker.

I had a little bacon in the freezer, say 2oz. that I threw into a frying pan, added an italian sausage and a brat. Browned it all up and put it into a 8qt stockpot, then cut up an onion and 3 cloves of garlic and 1/2 tsp of spanish smoked paprika, s&p in the original frying pan , sweated until soft, and added to the stockpot, with about 2 cups of chicken broth. Made up and added a bouquet garnie (2 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp thyme,and some parsley tied in a cloth). I found some leftover roasted red peppers, say 4 oz. in the freezer, and threw them in. This was all in the morning and I just brought everything up to a simmer, covered, and let it sit off heat until 1/2 hour before supper.
At that point, I returned it to heat, opened and rinsed 2 14 oz cans of cannelini beans in a strainer, added them, removed and sliced up the sausages, returned them to the pot with about a pound of leftover cooked chicken. Brought all up to heat, and served.

Next time, I'll thicken things up with an immersion blender before I put in the meat, but this time didn't think of it until too late - didn't want chicken mush.

Andy,

I've had feijoada. It's from Brazil and similar, except used black beans. I think it had beef in it also. hard to remember. Too many caprinhias.:-p

Sounds good except for the part where you started it in the morning & then let it sit all day at room temp until suppertime. That's a little dicey safety-wise, even if you did reheat it.

Back
Top Bottom