No Milk in the house...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question.

I'm in the mood to bake some cookies or something, but we have no milk. We got about an inch of freezing rain and ice everywhere, so there's no chance of running to the store. I have evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, buttermilk, and a little bit of half and half.

Will any of these work as a substitution for regular milk?

Thanks everyone.. ;)

Evap. milk could be diluted to the approx. level of regular milk.

Sweet. Cond. milk has added sugar snd that would through off your recipe.

Buttermilk would add a little tangy flavor to cookies but could work

Half and half also could be used.

Look at the eveporated milk can. I seem to remember that you can add water in equal volume to get the equivalent of whole milk, but I don't have any on hand to check it.

Dummy me.. I should've looked to see if it said anything about that..:ermm:

It says when using for cooking, in placeof milk, dilute with an equal amount of water to produce the quantity required..

Thanks guys...:chef:

That's one reason I always keep a can or two about. But I also like the flavor in coffee.

There are lots and lots of cookies you could make that don't need milk at all.

Evaporated milk has a different flavor than fresh milk. It can be thinned, but just doesn't taste the same. You can heat the sweetened, condensed milk in boiling water, in the can, for 30 minutes and come up with a caramalized desert sauce that your cookies could be either dipped in, or iced with.

The half & half can be used directly, but is a little rich. You might try using the half & half to make a very creamy hot chocolate that would go fantastic with most cookies. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Evaporated milk will work fine.

In the future, it's a good idea to keep powdered milk on hand. It may not be that tasty to drink, but it works great for cooking.

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question.

I'm in the mood to bake some cookies or something, but we have no milk. We got about an inch of freezing rain and ice everywhere, so there's no chance of running to the store. I have evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, buttermilk, and a little bit of half and half.

Will any of these work as a substitution for regular milk?

Thanks everyone.. ;)

I wanted (don't ask me why, I don't know why!) to make Kraft Macaroni & Cheese the other day, and I had no milk. I ended up using 6 Land-O-Lakes mini moos instead.

Caine, I'm not familiar with Land'o Lakes mini moos...would you enlighten me please?
Individual half & half servings.

MiniMoos_small.jpg

I don't drink much milk, and keep powdered milk in my staples cupboard at all times and use it in cooking. When I have whipping cream, I sometimes mix it, about 4 or 5 to one. My former father in law, ex military, lived 100 miles from the nearest commissary and used to freeze milk. I haven't tried this, but I do freeze butter. I would try freezing milk in ice cube trays and storing it in plastic bags as an alternative. There are many items that are readily available and are virtually industrictible that I keep in my kitchen for those rainy days. Powdered milk, dried mushrooms, small jars of mushrooms, boxed stocks, etc. I do not like to start cooking and have to make a run to the store for one small item.

For a good snack, take the sweetened condensed milk and place in a bain marie(water bath)(open the can first, cover with aluminum foil). Place in a 425 oven and bake. It will caramelize into a tasty pudding in about 1 hour..

You can also pour into a pan and bake in the bain marie.

You can also make a great pudding with it by mixing with 1 cup sour cream or yogurt then stir in 1/4 cup and citrus juice(real juice, not a juice mix). It will thicken immediately. Chill before serving for best flavor.

Interesting thread, as we all have staples we fall back on. I too keep evap and dry milk on hand, and usually have half and half or heavy cream on hand as well for coffee. What kind of cookie were you making that called for milk? Mine seem to be all fat and sugar, lol!

Of course this suggestions won't do you any good if you don't already have it, but I always keep powdered milk in the house. It lasts a long time and I often use it in place of milk in baking - - especially with the high price of milk right now!

Back
Top Bottom